Photo

Empire Fried Chicken and Donuts | Victoria | View Street; Cook Street Village

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:19 AM

The fact that they are closed on Mondays is perplexing.

#22 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:24 AM

I bought some at Fairfield Market last summer. They were so big that I had half left the next day, and they were still delicious.

#23 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:26 PM

So what sort of business model are they using that would have them run out of product before the day is half over?

The old "leave them wanting more" I guess.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:36 PM

Yeah, it's totally bizarre. You'd think the lease would have stipulated minimum operating times.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#25 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:53 PM

Yeah, it's totally bizarre. You'd think the lease would have stipulated minimum operating times.

If the business gets them the amount of money they want for the amount of effort they put in, then it is working for them. They don't have to be open just because you want them to be.

Our commercial retail lease doesn't stipulate our hours. As we think about winding down the business, we have considered cutting back our already short (to some people) hours. 

As a small independent business, we get to set what ever hours we want. Of course our customers are also free to get pissed off that we are not open. So that is the balancing act.

• http, jonny, sdwright.vic and 1 other like this

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:57 PM

If the business gets them the amount of money they want for the amount of effort they put in, then it is working for them. They don't have to be open just because you want them to be.

Our commercial retail lease doesn't stipulate our hours. As we think about winding down the business, we have considered cutting back our already short (to some people) hours. 

As a small independent business, we get to set what ever hours we want. Of course our customers are also free to get pissed off that we are not open. So that is the balancing act.

No, they can do what they want.  But a smart operator would make more, and their overage each day would be wholesaled off to another retailer to sell the next day that does not label them Empire.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#27 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:26 AM

Unless making more reduces the quality of the product, making it harder to sell the $2.75 donuts and giving their product a bad reputation, leading to no more sales?

#28 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:27 AM

Or she gets up early enough already to make the number of doughnuts that she does?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:48 AM

Anyways, if all that people see is a closed shop, they think she's closed. Period. It's poor optics to actually appear out of business.

If the soup people were willing to pick up where she drops off they'd be selling plenty of Yonni's donuts, just after she sells out of Empire donuts.
  • weirdie likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#30 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:48 AM

I could counter-argue that a sign showing 'sold out' is good optics. Whatever she's doing is working and must have a reason for not expanding production at this time.

I can understand why you're upset though - a good doughnut is hard to come by. As for your point about Yonni's, they are usually sold out by noon or early afternoon so no dice there. Perhaps you need to get into the baked goods game?

#31 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 744 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:06 AM

Donuts are only good when they are fresh, even from Empire.  I've had day old Empire donuts and they are just as bad as day old Tim Horton's.

Better to make less and sell them all then have day old product.

#32 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:55 PM

So they do have a open/ closed sign in the window that state clearly open till sold out.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#33 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:01 PM

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

Yeah, clearly doing something wrong if they're selling out their product...

Also, the word of mouth on Empire donuts is huge.  I know i see them pop up on my Instagram, Twitter and facebook feeds, as lucky people score one of their donuts.

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:31 PM

Well, I had my first ever Empire Donut today.

No big deal really, I thought.  

• Bob Fugger likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#35 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:34 PM

Well, I had my first ever Empire Donut today.

No big deal really, I thought.  

I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only one who feels this way.  You know, I really want to like them and my local coffee spot has them on offer a couple of days per week.  But same thing, they're kinda just OK.

#36 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:34 PM

Dunkin' Donuts, fresh outta the hot oil can't be beat.

#37 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:31 PM

Fresh Crispy Cremes are good when warm from the oven.

• Nparker and zenbunny like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#38 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:49 PM

One of the best donuts I've had was at Charles DeGaulle airport. :-) Very fresh, light, and excellent flavour. Just a plain one, nothing fancy, but cooked to perfection. And inexpensive too.

• Matt R. likes this

#39 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:48 PM

Best donut I ever had was in Selçuk, Turkey. A well-known baker had passed away and part of his funeral involved giving away bags of freshly fried donuts to anyone passing by the mosque. Lightly fried to crisp perfection and then dredged in honey and rosewater. Unbelievable!

#40 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:29 PM

I used to be a baker. Things may have changed but, in my day, there was no such thing as "day olds". If it was baked today, it was fresh...if it was baked yesterday....it was still fresh. If it was baked the day before yesterday (and maybe even the day before that, depending on what it was)...then it was day old.

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users