Highway 1 (Trans-Canada Highway) discussion

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:55 AM

What's the timeline for that phase, nagel?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:06 AM

He wouldn't tell me.  You know how it is.  We get drip drip drip.  My money is on no announcement until 2018.

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:09 AM

Thanks.

Any plans that might be available somewhere?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:12 AM

Thanks.

Any plans that might be available somewhere?

No they're internal.  I think they were telling me as though I'd be impressed there would be proper shoulders that could be used by cyclists on that portion of the highway.  Frankly I think it's insanity to bike on a highway so no, I don't see proper shoulders as some form of bike infra.  Not that I'd expect bike infra there at all of course.

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:23 AM

Ok, thanks for that. I'm sure the announcement will be quite controversial and but it's also one of the most pressing infrastructure projects in western Canada.

Know it all.

#26 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:52 AM

Despite my general two-wheeled status, I think generally highways should have barriers, 4 lanes and proper shoulders.  But, I don't know how that can possibly happen within the park without the expensive detours.

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:57 AM

There are hundreds of square miles of wilderness west of that highway. We can blast a bit of rock to make that road safer.

Know it all.

#28 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 12:32 PM

I am fairly certain the Harriet road TCH access will be closed permanently as of tomorrow, consequential to the new Carey access opening.

• Mike K. likes this

#29 gkz

gkz
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:13 AM

Hey, does anyone have updates on the dual turn lanes and 4 laning on HWY1 from Leigh Rd to Westshore Parkway? I have moved away from Victoria for work for a while, and am curious how it is coming along

#30 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:18 AM

Well the BC press release for it said design work would be complete in 2017, so don't get too excited about the 4 laning as it will be mid-end 2018 at the very earliest, and if it's phased it may take even longer than that (no updates on this out there yet).

#31 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:28 PM

Double turn lane from TCH Northbound to West shore parkway was completed a few weeks ago.

Like nagel said four-laning is at least a couple of years away - but having said that - the work they did at the intersection of WSP did in fact widen the highway right of way for 4 lanes.

#32 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:44 PM

This excuse from the Province (that goldstream is too costly or challenging, to expand) is so lame and the general public and media have lapped it all up.

There is probably hundreds of miles worth of tunnels in this province alone. All of a sudden in 2016 we can't do something we did 100 years ago???

because the environmental impact of such projects wasnt on the radar 100 years ago or even 50 years ago.

#33 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:48 PM

Seriously? We built highways and railways through the bloody Rockies but little Goldstream Park is an engineering impossibility?

Big difference, since the Canadian Rockies have parks that are 100's of times bigger than Goldstream Park, and any upgrading of a highway doesn't have a huge impact. Goldstream is smaller and any blasting and road expansion will have negative impacts on the salmon bearing stream, since the hwy is only a few feet away. You are comparing apples and oranges.

#34 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:41 AM

because the environmental impact of such projects wasnt on the radar 100 years ago or even 50 years ago.

Ummm, they are currently upgrading the TCH through much of BC. Not 100 years ago. 

Tunnels have a negative environmental impact? Huh?

Big difference, since the Canadian Rockies have parks that are 100's of times bigger than Goldstream Park, and any upgrading of a highway doesn't have a huge impact. Goldstream is smaller and any blasting and road expansion will have negative impacts on the salmon bearing stream, since the hwy is only a few feet away. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Ummm, they could easily change the route of the road, like we have done in countless other situations. Why does the highway need to go through the exact same route? It's not like we're lacking real estate.

#35 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:52 AM

Ummm, they are currently upgrading the TCH through much of BC. Not 100 years ago. 

Tunnels have a negative environmental impact? Huh?

Ummm, they could easily change the route of the road, like we have done in countless other situations. Why does the highway need to go through the exact same route? It's not like we're lacking real estate.

Did I say tunnels have a negative impact. You brought up the 100 years ago comment I didnt.

#36 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:05 PM

You responded to this

There is probably hundreds of miles worth of tunnels in this province alone. All of a sudden in 2016 we can't do something we did 100 years ago???

with this

So yes, I believe you did say that tunnels have a negative (environmental) impact.

#37 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:28 PM

Well regardless a tunnel will never happen, due to the cost involved.

#38 gkz

gkz
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:20 PM

Anyone have pictures of the dual left turn lanes at Westshore parkway? I don't see any on the transbc flickr account

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:42 AM

Millstream-road-overpass-realignment.jpg

Dual southbound turning lanes coming to congested Millstream Road overpass

http://victoria.citi...-road-overpass/

Know it all.

#40 gkz

gkz
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:27 PM

Re: the congestions at Leigh Rd interchange (posts in http://vibrantvictor...-road-and-tch).

The issue is 3 lanes merging into one, and the fact that the developments at kettle creek and surrounding area have no direct connection to Langford and must go on the highway. Both of these are being resolved:

1. HWY 1 will be 4-laned between Leigh Rd and Goldstream Park: https://news.gov.bc....TRAN0044-000357

2. The Westshore Parkway extensions under construction will connect the local area to Langford directly: http://www.langford....on-project.html & http://www.langford....Network Map.pdf

After these issues are resolved, there will still be congestion at the point HWY 1 goes to 2 lanes at the entrance of Goldstream Park, however at this point at least the traffic heading to the new developments will have left the highway.

• On the Level likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users