BUILT
The James at Harbour Towers
Use: rental
Address: 345 Quebec Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 13
The James at Harbour Towers is a conversion of the 13-storey Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites complex into re... (view full profile)
Learn more about the James at Harbour Towers on Citified.ca
Photo

[James Bay] Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites | Conversion into rentals | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:41 PM

Harbour-Towers-Hotel-&-Suites-Victoria-BC-September-2016.jpg

Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites may be converted into rental apartments

http://victoria.citi...tal-apartments/

James Bay’s 13-storey Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites at 345 Quebec Street may be turned into rental apartments, Citified has learned.

The concept, presented by Vancouver-based Omicron Canada Inc. to the James Bay Neighbourhood Association, envisions a conversion of the 42-year-old hotel’s 189 rooms into a 200-plus-unit apartment complex.

Units would range between studios sized at just under 300 square feet up to two-storey, two-bedroom penthouses just shy of 900 square feet. [Full article]

• Mr Cook Street likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:46 PM

I like this. Bunch of new rental apartments and hopefully spurs construction of a new hotel due to low hotel vacancy rates. 

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:59 PM

It's actually quite amazing that we haven't seen a new hotel proposal poke out of the woodwork yet. 100+ rooms disappeared with the closure of Queen Victoria Inn, then another 90 or so with the closure of the Dominion, although they did have one of the floors closed off in recent years. I guess AirBnB has helped absorb some of that impact as the closure of older hotels with no new supply could have made for quite a pickle.

In this sense the loss of hotel capacity is being mitigated with AirBnB, kind of like how the lack of new rental stock was mitigated by secondary suites.

• Kapten Kapsell and Mr Cook Street like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:12 PM

Here's how many hotel rooms we've lost over the last decade (some of the numbers are close approximate figures):

- Queen Victoria Inn: 140

- Dominion: 100

- Victoria Plaza: 64

- Multiple Gorge Road motels: 100

- Former Travellers Inns: 150

- Crystal Court and Holiday Court motels: 60

- Harbour Towers: 189

Total: ~600 + 189 = ~800 hotel rooms

Know it all.

#5 peanutflower

peanutflower
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 04:34 PM

Here's how many hotel rooms we've lost over the last decade (some of the numbers are close approximate figures):

- Queen Victoria Inn: 140

- Dominion: 100

- Victoria Plaza: 64

- Multiple Gorge Road motels: 100

- Former Travellers Inns: 150

- Crystal Court and Holiday Court motels: 60

- Harbour Towers: 189

Total: ~600 + 189 = ~800 hotel rooms

Don't you have to add in the new hotels?  Park plaza whatsit, Marriott, more rooms at Laurel Point, at least twice the size at OBBH.  

#6 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:20 PM

I'm pretty sure the AirBnB inventory more than covers the lost hotel rooms.

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:22 AM

Don't you have to add in the new hotels? Park plaza whatsit, Marriott, more rooms at Laurel Point, at least twice the size at OBBH.

The Marriott is well over a decade old now, but we did add the Oswego within the decade. I'm sure there are one or two smaller places somewhere in the region, but I can't think of them.

QOBBH and stuff Langford is not City of Victoria.

Know it all.

#8 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 10:13 AM

The Parkside (timeshare) hotel on Blanshard was a major addition in the last decade. I guess the Rialto renovation was just a like for life replacement of rooms?

#9 2F2R

2F2R
  • 673 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 10:55 AM

Does not the word "Towers" mean more than one "Tower" ...

#10 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 11:00 AM

Does not the word "Towers" mean more than one "Tower" ...

Just be thankful View Towers is multiple in name only.

#11 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 11:09 AM

Don't you have to add in the new hotels?  Park plaza whatsit, Marriott, more rooms at Laurel Point, at least twice the size at OBBH.

Rialto, too.

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:58 PM

Ah, totally, Parkside. Although isn't there something different about the Parkside? It's a timeshare of sorts, isn't it? Trendwest is another property that added some capacity.

Know it all.

#13 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 03:00 PM

Anybody can rent rooms at Parkside.

#14 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 03:41 PM

The Westin Bear Mountain -with over 200 rooms and suites-opened just over a decade ago in 2005.

#15 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:40 PM

I always forget that we have a Westin.

#16 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:43 AM

Is this dead?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:48 AM

Going forward last I read.  After this tourist season.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:50 AM

June 22 article.

http://www.oakbaynew...tment-building/

Says it's going to public hearing.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#19 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:58 PM

The public hearing for this proposal will be during the city council meeting this Thursday (Sept 7).
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#20 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:51 PM

It's official. A friend of mine works there and they got word today.  No more hotel, no more convention space, no more food service. Apartment conversion.

Matt.

• Mike K. and VicHockeyFan like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users