Photo

Addiction and mental illness in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3707 replies to this topic

#221 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:26 AM

On a related note, did the TC ever follow up on that story about the street person, the one whose sister went on Facebook to dispute?

#222 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:28 AM

I don't believe so. They did take the article down, however.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#223 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:14 AM

It would be editorially inappropriate for the TC to follow up that story. It's not an investigative report on that guy's life. It's a human-interest feature designed to promote their Christmas fund and they've been writing those stories every Christmas since, I guess, at least the 1950s. It's always the same theme--some unfortunate person gets a leg up in life thanks to this fund. Read, donate, repeat.

It's unreasonable to expect a reporter to turn over every rock looking for dirt for this type of holiday feature. If the reporter did come across information before publication that showed the guy in a bad light he'd have a tough choice. 

It was good that they took the article down. The unproven allegations by the relative shone a dark cloud over everything and made it that much harder for the guy to get his fractured life together.

However, the recent story about the drug advocate, Bird, self-medicating knee pain by injecting cocaine is a different thing. Her drug background is relevant and changes the angle of her story. The reporter should have caught that. Mind you, there are many people working in drug and prostitution advocacy that have never done drugs or turned tricks, and I can't recall reading anything that proved Bird did either. 

#224 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:37 AM

At least someone "in the business" is willing to admit there is more to dealing with addiction that simply "harm reduction"

...Trevor Franklin, who runs two recovery homes for men in Victoria as part of Together We Can [said] “Where I think they need to invest is in recovery homes and sober living. I get it, harm reduction is necessary. It’s absolutely saving people’s lives and we need it. But we also need to give people an opportunity to live in a recovery home where not everyone around them is using.”

http://www.timescolo...ions-1.21179712

• Midnightly, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#225 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:32 AM

michael-stone.jpg

Over $60,000 raised for family of Buddhist teacher who died of drug overdose in Victoria

A GoFundMe donation campaign has thus far collected $60,528 for the family of Michael Stone, a Buddhist teacher, yoga instructor and author who died last week of a drug overdose in Victoria.

According to MSN, Stone was renowned for his seminars, retreats, conferences and workshops, and also founded Toronto's Centre of Gravity, one of the nation's largest Buddhist communities.

Stone's wife, Carina Stone, released a statement following Stone's death that revealed he'd been living with bipolar disorder and was allegedly in Victoria seeking medication or medical help for his condition. 

Stone is survived by his young daughter and wife, who is pregnant with the couple's second child. VV

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#226 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:36 AM

Are GoFundMe pages being established for every overdose victim in the 900 block of Pandora?

• todd likes this

#227 Janion Fan

Janion Fan
  • 240 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:40 PM

Seriously? GoFundMe for, what? Sounds like he was quite a successful Buddhist teacher, yoga instructor, author, who founded one of the nation's largest Buddhist communities and was renowned for his seminars, retreats and conferences. It's sad that he OD'ed, don't get me wrong but, what is with the GoFundMe? I just don't get the whole GoFundMe thing in general but, in this particular case, am 100% perplexed as to why people are "Funding".

• Nparker, GaryRanson and Midnightly like this

#228 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:14 PM

Seriously? GoFundMe for, what? Sounds like he was quite a successful Buddhist teacher, yoga instructor, author, who founded one of the nation's largest Buddhist communities and was renowned for his seminars, retreats and conferences. It's sad that he OD'ed, don't get me wrong but, what is with the GoFundMe? I just don't get the whole GoFundMe thing in general but, in this particular case, am 100% perplexed as to why people are "Funding".

The $65k they have raised already includes 2x $5k anonymous donations, and a $3k one from a yoga place.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#229 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:58 PM

Are GoFundMe pages being established for every overdose victim in the 900 block of Pandora?

Hey if it gets you $60K then why not.

Lots of people have mental illnesses and don't turn to street drugs for a solution. I feel badly for the wife and kids but the CBC article isn't doing anyone any favours. 

Edited by spanky123, 24 July 2017 - 09:11 PM.

• Nparker and Midnightly like this

#230 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:35 AM

There's also a GoFundMe for Ken Brotherston Jr.  That one has raised almost $5k.

#231 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:33 PM

At least someone "in the business" is willing to admit there is more to dealing with addiction that simply "harm reduction"

I would wager that this group is not tax payer funded.... donut to a dollar...

#232 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:16 PM

You only get money if people liked you.

#233 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:19 PM

1 of 3 http://www.itsallyog...ew-part-1-of-3/ ...interesting

#234 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:43 PM

There's a thin line between spirituality & madness.

• todd likes this

#235 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:51 PM

And sanity and madness.... which is which again?

#236 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 528 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:38 PM

Burnside/Gorge Community Association organized a mural painting to beautify the area.  A group of artists and local residents worked on July 22 and 23 and had substantially finished the mural located beside the Galloping Goose close to the Gorge bridge.  A person has vandalized the nearly completed mural work with spray paint less than 2 days after the event.

#237 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:53 PM

And now they found out that the old liquor store under the Super 8 will be turned into a homeless shelter... 'bring it on' says our mayor....

#238 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:44 PM

Wait, what? The old liquor store is being converted into a shelter? For real? Who's the operator?

Know it all.

#239 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:32 PM

And now they found out that the old liquor store under the Super 8 will be turned into a homeless shelter...

Isn't the rest of the Super 8 becoming (has become?) a shelter as well?

#240 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:52 PM

Isn't the rest of the Super 8 becoming (has
become?) a shelter as well?

The rest is low barrier homeless housing. Now the lower part will be a drop in shelter, like in Rock Bsy, where people line up to get a place to sleep for the night. Mayhem central.

Edited by A Girl is No one, 25 July 2017 - 10:53 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users