The Yates on Yates
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 848-852 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 20
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, 2BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Yates on Yates is one of two 20-storey residential towers on a property spanning the 700-blocks of Yates a... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Yates on Yates on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] The Yates on Yates | Condos; commercial | 20-storeys | Built - completed in 2020

• Please log in to reply
991 replies to this topic

#461 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:16 PM

Good point Mike: Shutters and Falls feature “exposed” outdoor walkways between elevators and the front doors of units, so why is it considered “luxury” if someone gets rained on when they are bringing in their groceries?

I might add that Chelsea at 999 Burdett could be considered “luxury” simply by looking at the prices per square foot: since it completed in 2009, the building units have always fetched a premium.

And although luxury is subjective, I think that 986 Heywood (under construction) seems to be a luxury property and I think that the 6 storey building at Bellewood Park will be a luxury property too (this building will be Abstract’s first-ever concrete building).
  • Mike K. likes this

#462 m3m

m3m
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:18 PM

Just curious, what makes you place Shutters and Falls above Sovereign, Belvedere and Aria?

TJV is right when he says it's an accumulation of all the little things. 

While they are excellent buildings, the Aria, Belvedere, and Sovereign lose points on my luxury analysis primarily because they have ugly baseboard heaters.  (This is my biggest pet peeve after microwave/hood fan combos - looking at you, Era).  Aria also has "textured ceilings".  

The Sovereign was a tough cut because it truly has some luxurious features such as the car elevator, great bathrooms, air conditioning, and uses high quality materials.  It loses out because of its relatively small windows, relative lack of building amenities, and relatively low ceiling height (8 ft 5).  When you're inside, the units can seem dark and claustrophobic. 

My completely subjective and idiosyncratic analysis also considered the following:

• Shutters and Falls both have pools and hot tubs. 
  • The spa-inspired bathrooms at Shutters and Falls, even in smaller units have separate showers and tubs surrounded in marble put them miles ahead of Aria and Belvedere. 
  • Both Shutters and Falls are james cheng buildings and westbank developments which some people think gives them a bit of added cachet. 
  • Falls has Schiffini cabinetry in both the kitchens and bathrooms which is a luxurious touch.
  • Falls has air conditioning. 

While shutters has no air conditioning and relies on those terrible baseboard heaters, it gets the bump over the sovereign mainly because of the extra amenities and a very nice lobby and entrance area.  I can understand if you disagree about which of these two makes the cut.  But you're crazy if you think the Belvedere and Bayview One belong in the same stratosphere.  

ps. while the above clearly illustrates that i'm a pretentious snob, it's okay because I'm self-aware about it..... right?

• Mike K., lanforod and songheesguy like this

#463 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:38 PM

While they are excellent buildings, the Aria, Belvedere, and Sovereign lose points on my luxury analysis primarily because they have ugly baseboard heaters. (This is my biggest pet peeve after microwave/hood fan combos - looking at you, Era). Aria also has "textured ceilings

ps. while the above clearly illustrates that i'm a pretentious snob, it's okay because I'm self-aware about it..... right?

No you’re cool with the text beforehand.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#464 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:45 PM

While they are excellent buildings, the Aria, Belvedere, and Sovereign lose points on my luxury analysis primarily because they have ugly baseboard heaters.  (This is my biggest pet peeve after microwave/hood fan combos - looking at you, Era).  Aria also has "textured ceilings".  

The Sovereign was a tough cut because it truly has some luxurious features such as the car elevator, great bathrooms, air conditioning, and uses high quality materials.  It loses out because of its relatively small windows, relative lack of building amenities, and relatively low ceiling height (8 ft 5).  When you're inside, the units can seem dark and claustrophobic. 

The Sovereign has hot water radiator heating which is quite luxurious. Relatively small windows are dictated by location (old town). The bathrooms aren't that great in the 7 or 8 units I've been in.

The Bayview One in my opinion is the most luxurious building in Victoria and a cut above the rest. If I was buying to live in long term I would buy at Bayview.

As an investment condo I would skip it, plenty of pet peeves including built in appliances which I can't stand....video I made in a Bayview kitchen -> https://youtu.be/c42HU8Myz_4

As far as Shutters/Falls I would put a few builds ahead of them such as the Promontory.  

Edited by MarkoJ, 09 May 2018 - 08:46 PM.

• m3m likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#465 thaicobb

thaicobb
  • 75 posts
  • LocationLA & Victoria

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:53 AM

In my book, Yates gets a downgrade from luxury status because there a no purchaser upgrade possibilities as was the case for Chard's last sales effort at the Escher.  I would appreciate the opportunity to upgrade the standard laminate flooring to engineered hardwood, but its a no-go.  Ditto for cabinet or appliance upgrades.  A/C is nice though.

• VicHockeyFan and m3m like this

#466 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:54 AM

In my book, Yates gets a downgrade from luxury status because there a no purchaser upgrade possibilities as was the case for Chard's last sales effort at the Escher.  I would appreciate the opportunity to upgrade the standard laminate flooring to engineered hardwood, but its a no-go.  Ditto for cabinet or appliance upgrades.  A/C is nice though.

Just because they are not advertised does not mean they are not available, at this point. I'm sure they can be negotiated, but they will not be cheap.

I upgraded my condo just with some different counter-tops, plumbing fixtures and an appliance change.  Frankly it cost me almost as much as it would have if I waited until completion then ordered the change from independent contractors.   And I would have had an extra fridge to boot.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 10 May 2018 - 07:56 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#467 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:05 AM

If Yates only offers laminate flooring then its far from luxury.  If they are cheaping out on flooring then it makes me wonder if the cabinets are pressboard or made in China, etc.

#468 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:35 AM

July 6

Yates-on-Yates-July-6-2018a.jpg

Yates-on-Yates-July-6-2018b.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#469 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:51 AM

These photos look amazingly like the ones in the Vivid on Yates thread.  ;)

#470 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 14 July 2018 - 03:24 PM

The first section of the crane has been installed on the concrete base near Yates and they are removing the road into the pit and finishing up the last of the excavation near Johnson.
  • Mike K. and Nparker like this

#471 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 03:32 PM

As I looked back at Victoria's "skyline" from the plaza in front of the Ocean Pointe Resort this afternoon, I wondered if these "towers" would be visible. Something tells me they won't be tall enough to have much of an impact on the overall tabletop skyline, at least from the harbour.

• 2F2R likes this

#472 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 05:45 PM

Saw blasting notices being posted along the 800 block of Yates, to start on the 17th.

#473 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 07:36 PM

Setting up the crane today ...

• Mike K. likes this

#474 magmazing

magmazing
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 08:28 PM

Was just driving by on Yates Street and saw the base and a piece of the arm with the Chard logo on it sitting at the curb.

#475 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:55 AM

Photos from August 8th

Attached Images

• IMG_7813.JPG
  • IMG_7814.JPG

Edited by MarkoJ, 17 August 2018 - 03:59 PM.

• 2F2R and jonny like this

#476 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 August 2018 - 03:58 PM

August 17th

Attached Images

• IMG_8027.JPG

• 2F2R likes this

#477 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:31 PM

Man, the Telus building is ugly. Hoping the Apex site development comes sooner rather than later so that the current Telus building can vacate and become ripe for redevelopment. Same with The Yates Centre. The two buildings have such a dead ground floor. What is the Yates Centre used for anyways?

• jonny and DougG like this

#478 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:59 PM

^Provincial Government

The front of the Yates Centre is actually an old movie theater.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 17 August 2018 - 07:00 PM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#479 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 07:10 PM

Fortunately, the Yates Centre's prominence will be greatly diminished when YoY & V@Y are complete.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#480 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:34 PM

The front of the Yates Centre is actually an old movie theater.

The Atlas.

https://archives.vic...re-yates-street

M08761_141.jpg

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users