The Yates on Yates
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 848-852 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 20
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, 2BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Yates on Yates is one of two 20-storey residential towers on a property spanning the 700-blocks of Yates a... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Yates on Yates on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] The Yates on Yates | Condos; commercial | 20-storeys | Built - completed in 2020

• Please log in to reply
991 replies to this topic

#821 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 10:37 AM

...you were likely two tired to come up with anything clever.

Which brings us back around to the bike lanes. This thread is just another retread of the same old stuff. We're spinning our wheels.

#822 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,783 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 11:13 AM

now that’s clever.

#823 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 12:04 PM

Finally, one of these puns actually lands. Took a few years.

#824 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:01 PM

He spoke the truth.

<rimshot>

• aastra and Matt R. like this

#825 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:14 PM

Since they own the Mings lot as well, as you mentioned. They should consider creating a smaller scale version of what they’ve done with the Washington Convention Centre in Seattle - that way they could utilize the extra space over top of Quadra St that would otherwise remain unused. This would also create a gate into the heart of Harris Green to add a dramatic visual effect to the approach of their upcoming development in Harris Green Village where MoY and London drugs currently is.

I do realize that this idea is a little too forward thinking for much of the audience reading this - in fact it may seem crazy. But if Starlight was able to pull this off it would completely change the dynamics of the neighborhood and would catch a lot of media attention and architectural recognition.

Fremont Las Vegas would be a lot more fun

#826 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 12:48 PM

The larger of the two retail units here has been leased according to the listing here:

https://williamwright.ca/listings/

Is this the popular local brunch spot (potentially Floyd's) that was rumoured by someone on here before?

#827 RustyNail

RustyNail
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:42 PM

Relevant info from the first Vivid at the Yates Homeowner's Info Session (yesterday evening) that likely/may also apply to Yates on Yates. Info is based on my notes... so may not be 100% correct. (Will add this info and more to Vivid thread soon)

-Yates on Yates is scheduled for completion next week (week of 19 Oct)
-Vivid at the Yates completion won't be before March 2021.
-Vivid's crane is coming down in November
-The gated midblock walkway spanning Johnson to Yates will be open during the day (7 to 10?). There were discussions as recently as last week about closing it 24/7 but sounds like City of Victoria wouldn't budge. The townhouse portions of this project all have ground levels facing this corridor.
-Developer performed two independent walk throughs of each Yates on Yates unit before purchasers had their own suite walkthrough/showing. They found 1.4 deficiencies per suite, on average. They will be doing the same thing for Vivid.
-It was mentioned that strata fees will likely be a bit higher than was initially stated. This is due to widespread price increases across the insurance industry.
-Shared parkade between both buildings, approx 7 foot height is the clearance.
-2/5/10 for the warranty: 2 years on labour & interior / 5 years for water & envelope / 10 years on building structure. I'm assuming this equally applies to Yates on Yates.
-Warranty issues to be handled by the general contractor, Campbell Construction. Chard to assist in the background?
-Gateway property management contracted to do initial strata setup and management. Strata is always free to choose someone else in the future if they so desire.
  • Mike K. and zoomer like this

#828 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 04:45 AM

Nice! Thank you.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#829 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,783 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 04:55 AM

The gated midblock walkway spanning Johnson to Yates will be open during the day (7 to 10?). There were discussions as recently as last week about closing it 24/7 but sounds like City of Victoria wouldn't budge. The townhouse portions of this project all have ground levels facing this corridor.

already.  before anyone even lives there they know there might be problems.

#830 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:45 AM

Come on. Everybody knows. The CoV seems to be the only player who (still) doesn't understand how these things work.

Do these shortcuts right or don't do them at all.

#831 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:57 AM

...before anyone even lives there they know there might be problems...

You'd have to be even more willfully ignorant than your average CoV council member, not to see the disaster-in-waiting with this particular mid-block crossing.

#832 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 24 October 2020 - 07:28 PM

More Zoomer pics from today:

50526694187_544b6fbda0_h.jpgFormerly Ming’s by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

50526544896_c76d201e14_h.jpg2 New Chards by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

50525815553_b1c6449e49_h.jpgYates and Quadra by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

50525813573_99916f841a_h.jpgBetter Days Have Been Seen by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

• Rob Randall, Promontory Kingpin and Brantastic like this

#833 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 07:43 PM

Rental watch!

Devon is renting 1-beds under their management for $1,895+

https://victoria.cra...7214537353.html

6th floor 2-bed available for $2,550

https://victoria.cra...7219629920.html

11th floor 1-bed available for $1,750

https://victoria.cra...7201828512.html

1-bed with 200 sqft patio available for $2,050 (not clear which floor)

https://victoria.cra...7204203208.html

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#834 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 02:11 PM

Call me a facadist but I sure hope future redevelopment preserves and restores the front face of the old nightclub building. That's the kind of stuff that can give a street some character when a lot of new development is happening.

• Brantastic likes this

#835 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 04:34 PM

I've been hoping the same. Maybe something akin to the Era building.

• aastra likes this

#836 yellow_baron

yellow_baron
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 08:09 PM

Are these rent prices normal? They seem fairly high given covid...or am I missing something here? 

#837 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 08:14 PM

Are these rent prices normal? They seem fairly high given covid...or am I missing something here?

Downtown in a new build? That doesn't sound high to me.

#838 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 08:55 PM

It's in line with Hudson Place One rents, it sounds about right for the market. Probably won't get 2K for a 500 sqft finished 1-bed but anywhere from 1700-1900 moves for sure.

• Mike K. likes this

#839 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 07:00 AM

The rental market is as tight and as expensive as it ever was.

And this year we also have wealthy snowbirds who ordinarily would travel south for the winter, coming to Victoria and renting apartments.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#840 dkuitu

dkuitu
  • 397 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:56 AM

The rental market is as tight and as expensive as it ever was.

And this year we also have wealthy snowbirds who ordinarily would travel south for the winter, coming to Victoria and renting apartments.

I think the demand for downtown has dropped a bit. I don't have any data to back it, but just a sense that the appealing part of downtown living isn't really here in 2020. I think the overall demand for condos is still doing well, but people aren't drawn to the city centre like they were last year. People are opting for more suburban areas.

My theory is that when tightly packed bars and dancing becomes a thing again, the demand for downtown living will also return.

Edited by dkuitu, 27 October 2020 - 08:58 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users