The Yates on Yates
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 848-852 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 20
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, 2BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Yates on Yates is one of two 20-storey residential towers on a property spanning the 700-blocks of Yates a... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Yates on Yates on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] The Yates on Yates | Condos; commercial | 20-storeys | Built - completed in 2020

• Please log in to reply
991 replies to this topic

#961 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 11:29 AM

Why not address the predictable issues with the first go-round?

In the design stage, I mean. Before you actually build the darned thing.

• Nparker likes this

#962 magmazing

magmazing
  • 160 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 12:14 PM

The path was designed to be more than double the width it currently is. Chard and and strata council say the City screwed up and didn't get the access to the next door property's half of the path.  So instead of one wide shared path for Yates/Vivid and that Yates Centre building that would be gated after 10pm, we're currently stuck with two narrow gated paths with a crappy fence down the middle. 

• Nparker and newbie_01 like this

#963 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 12:30 PM

Without the Yates Centre path the YoY/Vivid path is just too narrow to be useful.

• aastra likes this

#964 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 12:55 PM

The path was designed to be more than double the width it currently is. Chard and and strata council say the City screwed up and didn't get the access to the next door property's half of the path.  So instead of one wide shared path for Yates/Vivid and that Yates Centre building that would be gated after 10pm, we're currently stuck with two narrow gated paths with a crappy fence down the middle.

Well, maybe I'm being too hard on the mid-block walkway program. After all, who could have possibly predicted these issues?

Posted 08 August 2016 - 03:22 PM

What I'm saying is, put another much nicer and much wider walkway right beside the Coronet's walkway (maybe 2-3 times as wide) and also change the dividers along the property line to something more pedestrian-permeable than what's there now and you might actually end up with a decent passage that could actually be appealing.

• Nparker likes this

#965 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 01:03 PM

If there's no fundamental willingness or commitment to doing these walkways properly then why bother doing them at all? G-Man might counter and claim any walkway is a good walkway even if it's a terrible walkway. But to my ear that would be no different than a skyscraper fanatic claiming any tall building is a good tall building even if it's a terrible tall building.

#966 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 01:13 PM

Without the Yates Centre path the YoY/Vivid path is just too narrow to be useful.

Is the walkway narrower than apartment building hallways?

Are the hallways of YoY too narrow to be useful?

#967 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 01:16 PM

The article says it’s only 1.22m wide. But a photo shows that part/most of it is much wider.

https://www.timescol...path-1.24362518

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 October 2021 - 01:16 PM.

#968 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 01:21 PM

Are the hallways of YoY too narrow to be useful?

Are you encouraging the CoV to start pushing the limits re: the literal definition of usefulness? If the passage is wide enough for size 14 feet to fit sideways then it should be useful for many people to shuffle through? (one way only, no passing)

#969 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 01:23 PM

If the passage is wide enough for a clothesline then it should be useful for clipping messages onto the line and passing them to the other side?

#970 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 01:30 PM

I’m just skeptical of the residents calling it a COVID issue when it’s probably a general vagrancy in the area issue.
  • newbie_01 likes this

#971 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 01:30 PM

Is the walkway narrower than apartment building hallways? Are the hallways of YoY too narrow to be useful?

An effective mid-block walkway should be more like a narrow street than a wide hallway.

#972 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 01:31 PM

I think that photo shows most of it is much wider than an apartment hall.

#973 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 01:38 PM

My narrow passage for sideways shuffling would of course have two levels, to keep people safely apart.

To get back to what we were talking about earlier re: the impracticality of re-working certain types of buildings that face into these passages: in order for this walkway to realize any of its potential I think the burden would now have to fall upon the old movie theatre building to undergo some significant ground-level renovations.

• Nparker likes this

#974 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 01:40 PM

Until then, it's looking like a dud for the foreseeable future.

#975 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 05:10 PM

It seems the Chard side of the project was specifically built with the walkway inside and their is an office building that could easily accommodate ground floor commercial that would make an amazing walkway.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#976 RustyNail

RustyNail
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 06:23 PM

I think that photo shows most of it is much wider than an apartment hall.

Note that there are two mid block walkways, one for the Vivid/Yates building and one for the Yates centre building. Each walkway has its own set of gates on both ends (4 gates total, 2 each).

The wide part for the Vivid/Yates walkway you're seeing is before the Yates side gate. Once within the gates, the walkway is extremely narrow for it's entire length, probably more narrow than the lobby hallways, though I would have to measure. Barely enough room for two people to pass one another without bumping shoulders.

Source: I live in Vivid.
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#977 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 07:21 AM

Downtown residents who want a mid-block pedestrian path connecting Yates and Johnson streets opened to the public hope they will soon gain daytime access to the route.

Victoria councillors turned down a request to close the path to the public and allow access only to residents until an agreement is reached with owners of the adjacent property for an expanded walkway.

The walkway provides an important link from Johnson Street to a well-used bus stop on Yates Street, said Mathew Yee, who lives in a building at 834 Johnson St. that includes owners, renters and supportive housing units.

Closure of the path triples the distance residents, some of whom use walkers and wheelchairs, must travel between the building and the bus stop and other mid-block amenities on Yates Street.

https://www.timescol...walkway-4825477

#978 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 07:44 AM

...The walkway provides an important link from Johnson Street to a well-used bus stop on Yates Street ..Closure of the path triples the distance residents, some of whom use walkers and wheelchairs, must travel between the building and the bus stop...

Won't somebody PLEASE think of the seniors. This isn't Clover Point after all.

• aastra likes this

#979 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 10:49 AM

Sometimes making people go the long way around is heroically noble and sometimes making people go the long way around is tragically insensitive.

• Nparker likes this

#980 magmazing

magmazing
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:56 PM

The fact that Vivid owners (except the ground floor townhome owners) can't even open the pathway's gates with our fobs between 5pm and 9am has been a point of contention. so I find it a bit hard to believe that "many residents of the building have written to council opposing public access."

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users