• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#81 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,600 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:38 AM

A 2-year plan is in place.

Based on early days ridership glad I'm not underwriting and floating the cost of the service in that case...

• Nparker likes this

#82 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:39 AM

Based on early days ridership glad I'm not underwriting and floating the cost of the service in that case...

Langford taxpayers are.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#83 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:11 AM

Right. There's your train service test scenario right there.

People sometimes forget that our commuter train will run a whopping 18 kilometers. Not even 30. Not 50, not 70 like it does on the mainland. What we need are a couple of interchanges and we're good for many years into the future. Now if only other jurisdictions had such a simple solution to their traffic woes.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#84 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:25 AM

Also people like the comfort of their car, even if they are stuck in traffic.  

#85 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:58 AM

Except it isn't a very good train test scenario for one simple reason: it isn't a train. It doesn't look like a train, it doesn't have permanent tracks, it doesnt have all day service and it doesn't have its own RoW and signal priority.

So no, Langtoria Greenline is a great test project for a nice bus that still gets stuck in traffic, but that's about it

• Bingo likes this

#86 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:01 AM

Except it isn't a very good train test scenario for one simple reason: it isn't a train. It doesn't look like a train, it doesn't have permanent tracks, it doesnt have all day service and it doesn't have its own RoW and signal priority.

So no, Langtoria Greenline is a great test project for a nice bus that still gets stuck in traffic, but that's about it

A bus that costs more than normal buses too.

• Nparker likes this

#87 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:06 AM

I've got news for people though.   The Greenline is much more comfortable than any train.  Plus is has free coffee and wireless., and a newspaper.  People like cars though, they don't like buses and trains.

• Redd42 likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#88 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:12 AM

I've got news for people though.   The Greenline is much more comfortable than any train.  Plus is has free coffee and wireless., and a newspaper.  People like cars though, they don't like buses and trains.

We can disagree the comfort part. But the bus is as slow and inconsistent as driving. Trains by are large have consistent travel times. This is part of the reason why people like them so much - studies shows that inconsistency is almost as bad as speed when it comes to travel time stress.

#89 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:14 AM

Well, the train will be slower than cars 90% of the time, plus it does not get you to where you want to go.

• Redd42 likes this

#90 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:16 AM

Every common mode of transportation has its downsides. It makes no sense for people to be completely anti-car (ie. Corey), or completely anti-bike/bus/train whatever (ie. Sebberry). We need all the modes, and we need safe and efficient infrastructure for all the modes, where it makes sense.

Edited by lanforod, 30 January 2017 - 10:16 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#91 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:33 AM

But a train makes no sense.

#92 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:47 AM

My point was that there is not sufficient demand for a commuter train / bus / anything from Langford to either downtown or selkirk. Greenline is demonstrating that.

Using a bus is a very bad example of what could attract commuters from their cars. Why would anyone pay more to sit in the same stinking traffic?

I don't buy the "train will take longer" argument one the run is upgraded. It's the alternative route into town that is the valuable part and as already explained in the E&N thread, there is no way you are putting a bus on a repaved railbed as there isn't the width.

Eventually we'll get our heads out of the 1950s "buses are allowed a blank cheque from taxpayers and will fix transit" mindset, but it would appear that addiction is hard to break.
  • Bingo likes this

#93 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:49 AM

^ I certainly agree that a lot of this boils down to economics. If the train is $5 a trip then perhaps it will get some uptake.

Edited by spanky123, 30 January 2017 - 10:49 AM.

#94 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:05 AM

Eventually we'll get our heads out of the 1950s "buses  highways are allowed a blank cheque from taxpayers and will fix congestion transit" mindset, but it would appear that addiction is hard to break.

Fixed it for you.

#95 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:12 AM

The Greenline is much more comfortable than any train.  Plus is has free coffee and wireless., and a newspaper.  People like cars though, they don't like buses and trains.

Bullshit. Coffee, wifi, newspapers, these things could easily be part of a modern and efficient train service.

Trains are very comfortable in my experience. The only reason people don't ride trains regularly on the Island is because there is no service to ride.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#96 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:19 AM

Bullshit. Coffee, wifi, newspapers, these things could easily be part of a modern and efficient train service.

Trains are very comfortable in my experience. The only reason people don't ride trains regularly on the Island is because there is no service to ride.

I've been on lots of trains.  And I've been on the Greenline.  I can assure you, a train will never be as comfortable as a brand new highway motorcoach (that the Greenline is).

#97 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:28 AM

I've been on lots of trains.  And I've been on the Greenline.  I can assure you, a train will never be as comfortable as a brand new highway motorcoach (that the Greenline is).

You should try the Union Pearson Express from Toronto International Airport to downtown. That thing is 10X nicer than any bus I have been on.

• Nparker, shoeflack and 57WestHills like this

#98 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:42 AM

I've been on plenty of really nice trains in Europe. But let's be realistic here folks.

#99 trevport

trevport
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLangford

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:58 PM

Does anyone know what the Greenline ridership numbers are lately? Has usage been ramping up at all?

#100 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:00 PM

Does anyone know what the Greenline ridership numbers are lately? Has usage been ramping up at all?

17 as of last week.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users