• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:19 AM

The federal government is giving Victoria close to a quarter-of-a-million dollars to throw a New Year's Eve party to kick off Canada's 150th anniversary year in style.

The $224-thousand dollar contribution comes from the government's Canada 150 Fund, designed to help communities celebrate the country's 150th anniversary.

[...]

http://www.iheartrad...ation-1.2037369

Fireworks at 9PM.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:20 AM

Nothing says New Year's Eve like fireworks at 9pm.  I don't suppose St. John's is doing theirs at 1:30am.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:45 AM

The Vancouver New Year’s Eve Celebration Society will deliver New Year's Eve programming that includes a family fun zone, large-scale Canadian video content, and a multi-ethnic food truck festival. The Society will also host a main stage featuring Canadian bands from Francophone, Indigenous, ethnocultural communities, with two countdowns and fireworks displays - the first being at 9 p.m. to align with the midnight countdown in Canada's Capital Region, and the second at midnight, local time.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:47 AM

The City of Victoria will launch 2017 with a Canada 150 themed New Year’s Eve celebration at the Inner Harbour. The celebration will open with a moving First Nations welcoming ceremony. Programming will include free, family-friendly activities such as the singing of "O Canada," a citizenship pledge, cultural performances, and a main stage featuring well-known Canadian, local, Francophone, Indigenous and ethnocultural artists. It will culminate with a fireworks display at 9 p.m. PST to align with the midnight countdown in Canada's Capital Region, and the second at midnight, local time.

http://canada.pch.gc...73870972268#a18

#5 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:52 AM

Should be a good event to watch from the rooftop outdoor space of the Janion, if it gets completed in time.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#6 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:39 AM

I gotta say it's BIG TIME LAME to set off New Year's Eve fireworks at 9:00 PM. Funny that it just happens to coincide with midnight in Ottawa and Toronto.

#7 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:45 AM

OK, two firework shows? I guess that's OK. Cfax article was wrong then.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:15 PM

OK, two firework shows? I guess that's OK. Cfax article was wrong then.

I'm hearing from the organizers it's just 9pm.  So stupid.  Who cares if fireworks are going of in other cities, we are not watching a TV event, people will be looking in the sky, and they can not see Ottawa.  Calgary is just doing it right, to hell with the other time zones.

The City of Calgary will organize accessible, family-friendly programming at Olympic Plaza including a Canadian-themed art exhibit, youth animation, live ice carving demonstrations, an ice slide, and ice skating. The main stage will feature live performances from Francophone, Indigenous, and ethnocultural artists and will culminate in a 2017 countdown and fireworks display at midnight.

• Nparker likes this

#9 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:48 PM

I gotta say it's BIG TIME LAME to set off New Year's Eve fireworks at 9:00 PM. Funny that it just happens to coincide with midnight in Ottawa and Toronto.

It doesn't just happen to coincide. it's kind of the point, to have all of the country celebrating at the exact same moment. 

It means people can watch some fireworks, feel some sort of nationalistic pride and then go home and get to a real party for midnight. ;)

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 01:00 PM

It doesn't just happen to coincide. it's kind of the point, to have all of the country celebrating at the exact same moment. 

Except that most of the country, the ones that got grants, are doing it at 20:17 local time, or midnight.  And the 98.87% of Canadians that will not be at one of these events, they'll celebrate at 12 midnight local time too.

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 01:18 PM

It doesn't just happen to coincide. it's kind of the point, to have all of the country celebrating at the exact same moment...

So are the NS, NB, PEI and Newfoundland waiting until 1:00 AM and 1:30 AM on January 1, 2017 to celebrate the new year?

Either way it's a lame idea. Have a simultaneous event take place on Canada Day between noon and 4:30 PM local time.

Edited by Nparker, 18 October 2016 - 01:20 PM.

#12 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 01:19 PM

Nothing says New Year's Eve like fireworks at 9pm.  I don't suppose St. John's is doing theirs at 1:30am.

So the real New Year's only occurs in Ottawa??? :confused:  I'd rather celebrate our midnight separately at our own pace, I don't even really want to touch Ontario's midnight.

• Nparker likes this

#13 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 18 October 2016 - 02:03 PM

Except that most of the country, the ones that got grants, are doing it at 20:17 local time, or midnight.  And the 98.87% of Canadians that will not be at one of these events, they'll celebrate at 12 midnight local time too.

Really, who is taking their families to see fireworks at midnight? Sorry, I am happy my kids can watch the fireworks and then I can go party.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#14 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:37 PM

Really, who is taking their families to see fireworks at midnight? Sorry, I am happy my kids can watch the fireworks and then I can go party.

Tell that to everyone at Times Square...

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:48 PM

Oh really, one night of the year, near the end of Christmas break, kids can't stay up just one night until after midnight?  Kids these days...

#16 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:51 PM

Oh really, one night of the year, near the end of Christmas break, kids can't stay up just one night until after midnight?  Kids these days...

The kids will be cranky in the morning if they stay up too late, and that'll be rough for the hung over parents.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:54 PM

The kids will be cranky in the morning if they stay up too late, and that'll be rough for the hung over parents.

They can all sleep in the next day.

• todd likes this

#18 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:06 PM

They can all sleep in the next day.

Are you even celebrating new years if you are celebrating at 9:00pm?

• Nparker likes this

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:19 PM

Are you even celebrating new years if you are celebrating at 9:00pm?

I'm not sure what you are celebrating.  You know, it's the first large publicly-funded New Years Eve event here in a few decades, maybe they lost the manual on how it's done.  CoV seems to lose files like that (Cook St. parking agreement etc.).

• Nparker likes this

#20 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:32 PM

I'm not sure what you are celebrating.  You know, it's the first large publicly-funded New Years Eve event here in a few decades, maybe they lost the manual on how it's done.  CoV seems to lose files like that (Cook St. parking agreement etc.).

My favorite part was when they brought out the riot horses.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users