Photo

What driveway treatment would you choose?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 04:50 PM

I was just dong some work for a client, and I got to thinking about driveway treatments.

14591850_1405214986174380_69383971788686

If you were building a feature home today, what would you use?

Paving stones are I guess the prettiest, but I guess not all the permeable.  I'm kind of partial to the concrete pavers with grass growing up between them.  EDIT:  I guess it's called Turfstone™

I'm not sure that works on a largish scale.  Would it make sense to pigment that concrete green somehow?

contemporary-landscape.jpg

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 SusanJones

SusanJones
  • 249 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 05:25 PM

1.  Grass turns brown fast - I'm thinking the heated up pavers kill it

2.  I've yet to see a totally even driveway after 12 months - heaving, sinking etc. happens in various spots

Wish it looked as nice as in the picture.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#3 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 30 October 2016 - 07:37 PM

This is an interesting method I've seen from a supplier recently.

PaveDrain.

Its large mats of interlocked pavers, so you don't get the differential movement brick to brick, and the gaps between bricks are left open to allow water through.

I understand there is occasional maintenance required to suck out silt and whatever between the bricks if they get clogged to keep it permeable.

Behind the Hudson the carriage way has pavers without sand between to be permeable, but they rattle against each other and you can see movement of a lot of the pavers.

Edited by Linear Thinker, 30 October 2016 - 07:41 PM.

#4 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,235 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 08:19 PM

More permeable paving options please!!!!

#5 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,235 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 08:22 PM

Anyone have experience with mixing permeable concrete?

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 08:24 PM

This is an interesting method I've seen from a supplier recently.

PaveDrain.

Its large mats of interlocked pavers, so you don't get the differential movement brick to brick, and the gaps between bricks are left open to allow water through.

I understand there is occasional maintenance required to suck out silt and whatever between the bricks if they get clogged to keep it permeable.

Behind the Hudson the carriage way has pavers without sand between to be permeable, but they rattle against each other and you can see movement of a lot of the pavers.

The Royal Bank complex on Fort Street has had rocking pavers for 30 years!

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 10:05 PM

If you have a long driveway then I would prefer gravel as a cheap solution.

The good news is it acts as a warning system when folks arrive that you weren't expecting.

The bad news is that it gets thrown over onto the lawn ruining the lawnmower blade, so I suppose that is good.

The other plus is that the stones get stuck in the tire treads to provide extra traction in the snow.

#8 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 October 2016 - 07:24 AM

If you have a long driveway then I would prefer gravel as a cheap solution.

The good news is it acts as a warning system when folks arrive that you weren't expecting.

The bad news is that it gets thrown over onto the lawn ruining the lawnmower blade, so I suppose that is good.

The other plus is that the stones get stuck in the tire treads to provide extra traction in the snow.

Gravel tends to get potholes over time, requiring regular grading. I grew up in a home with a longish gravel driveway (100 ft or so). Best decision ever when my parents finally got it covered with asphalt.

#9 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:34 AM

Abbotsford pavers.  You can install them yourself quite easily.  Bunch of sand + rent a tamper and you're good.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:41 AM

Abbotsford pavers.  You can install them yourself quite easily.  Bunch of sand + rent a tamper and you're good.

How do you know I don't already own a tapper or two?

#11 SusanJones

SusanJones
  • 249 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:17 AM

The hat is a dead giveaway VHF 

#12 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:08 AM

They're pretty cheap to rent.  Not sure why you would want to own one.  Same with a lawn roller.

#13 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 11:20 AM

You own a taper?

#14 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 11:22 AM

The hat is a dead giveaway VHF 

I think I saw that hat come to our front door last night, but we had run out of jelly beans by 11;30.

#15 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 11:56 AM

If he is a true captain he has/uses a hand tamper.

#16 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 12:29 PM

1.  Grass turns brown fast - I'm thinking the heated up pavers kill it

2.  I've yet to see a totally even driveway after 12 months - heaving, sinking etc. happens in various spots

Wish it looked as nice as in the picture.

And usually not much of a root structure/soil as they are usually set in packed sand/gravel, the chemicals in the pavers can sometimes not be great for the grass as well.

#17 phx

phx
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:45 PM

I would use concrete that was stamped and coloured to look like stone.

stamped-concrete-driveways-18.jpg

#18 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:37 PM

^ my preference too. One of the most expensive options though. Not sure why, but the OP seemed to want permeable as well, which this wouldn't be.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:39 PM

^ my preference too. One of the most expensive options though. Not sure why, but the OP seemed to want permeable as well, which this wouldn't be.

Ya, I was looking for permeable to be kind to the environment.  But honestly, I'm not sure it matters much if you live on 300 acres, the water still goes to ground.

#20 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:44 PM

But honestly, I'm not sure it matters much if you live on 300 acres, the water still goes to ground.

Ya and the cows and chickens don't really care what the surface is when they cross the road.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users