Photo

Il Terrazzo | Victoria | Johnson Street

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:11 PM

IT is top notch, for sure. Glad you enjoyed yourself ASE!

#62 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:45 AM

Yup, excellent spot. The service is A++. You don't see that level of attentiveness in local restaurants as often as you should.
  • pikabu likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#63 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:59 AM

Yup, excellent spot. The service is A++. You don't see that level of attentiveness in local restaurants as often as you should.

Comes down to training. Servers, put away your precious phones. You should be watching your tables at all times. Anticipate the diners' needs, serve the food then let people eat. They want unobtrusive service not a new friend. Pro tip: functioning adults can actually pour their own wine, to the level they want. No need for smarmy "fake service" which is basically tip-sucking.
  • Mike K., Nparker, Matt R. and 2 others like this

#64 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:13 AM

Servers should not have their phones during a shift. It's put away.
  • weirdie likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#65 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:33 AM

Anticipate the diners' needs, serve the food then let people eat. They want unobtrusive service not a new friend.

I often leave my water glass full so the server doesn't come around after every sip.

What I find annoying is when they take all the plates away while someone else at the table is still eating.

Or when you place your order and the server says "no problem".  That's not a reassuring statement.

On the other hand if two of the staff are standing around chatting and my coffee cup is empty...

• johnk and RoadRunner like this

#66 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:36 PM

Comes down to training. Servers, put away your precious phones. You should be watching your tables at all times. Anticipate the diners' needs, serve the food then let people eat. They want unobtrusive service not a new friend. Pro tip: functioning adults can actually pour their own wine, to the level they want. No need for smarmy "fake service" which is basically tip-sucking.

Never saw a mobile phone among the I-T staff, not once, which was refreshing.

Actually the crowd last night was a middle to upper middle aged mob and it was extremely noticeable among staff and customers alike that actual face to face human conversations were happening rather than everyone at a table uttering not a word while self absorbed, continuously texting someone.Nice to see that some humans can happily unplug and still make eye contact and communicate verbally.....

And I must say both the server and bus-boy were uniformly excellent at taking the order, answering a few questions, serving the food/clearing away empty dishes without being obtrusive or interrupting our conversation every 5 minutes, which we both appreciated. Result was a big ass tip for both.

• Nparker and johnk like this

#67 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 08:46 PM

Went back tonight for Mrs ASE's birthday dinner for the first time since......well, the post above. Rinse, repeat. The service was truly excellent, as was the food.

"But" - and here I fully admit to ignorance on the subject since threads on covid long ago became tedious and generally uninteresting for me, given all things "covid" in our lives for the last year, so I tend to avoid them - I was under the impression sit down restaurants had to space out customers, i.e. seat them in every other space/table?

Clearly I was out to lunch on that assumption though as the place was jammed, which surprised me somewhat. Beyond that they still come very highly recommended. There may well be a better Italian establishment in town but I haven't found it yet.

#68 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 08:51 PM

Most restaurants I've been to had plexi barriers between tables whether or not the tables have been spaced. Some places, like Ferris's have slightly fewer tables. But I would be surprised to see a restaurant that was jammed without plexi.

#69 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:03 PM

There may well be a better Italian establishment in town but I haven't found it yet.

https://www.ilcovotrattoria.ca/

• Nparker likes this

#70 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:06 PM

Il Covo has added some rather attractive plexi-covered decorative screens between each of the tables. It has changed, but not ruined the ambiance - and the food is still awesome.

• Love the rock likes this

#71 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 10:05 PM

I had hoped so but it was only "meh" when I tried it although it was only the one time. Daughter and her BF also wouldn't go back. But I'd give them another shot.....

#72 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 10:12 PM

Most restaurants I've been to had plexi barriers between tables whether or not the tables have been spaced. Some places, like Ferris's have slightly fewer tables. But I would be surprised to see a restaurant that was jammed without plexi.

They have the plexi barriers for sure; I was mainly surprised because the layout at I-T means some tables are in very close proximity to the other guy. Didn't bother me personally in the least but I heard a couple of comments both in and outside from others echoing my initial question. Either way it certainly won't stop us from going again, covid or no covid. We haven't done a dine-in since probably last spring so I suppose I just expected the separation based on the abundance of caution coming from the daily briefing from DrBH and the provincial government

#73 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,868 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:51 PM

Went back tonight for Mrs ASE's birthday dinner for the first time since......well, the post above. Rinse, repeat. The service was truly excellent, as was the food.

"But" - and here I fully admit to ignorance on the subject since threads on covid long ago became tedious and generally uninteresting for me, given all things "covid" in our lives for the last year, so I tend to avoid them - I was under the impression sit down restaurants had to space out customers, i.e. seat them in every other space/table?

Clearly I was out to lunch on that assumption though as the place was jammed, which surprised me somewhat. Beyond that they still come very highly recommended. There may well be a better Italian establishment in town but I haven't found it yet.

Yeah it’s still 2m from back to back, but if you have physical barriers then that is out the window.

Matt.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#74 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 02:38 AM

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before but I had the experience at Il Terrazo  of the server (not the female waittress if you are following along) put the dirty dishes of the table next to mine on my table while I was still eating. I'm guessing because that other table was 6 or 8 people. So me and my dining companion felt dismissed.

I've already admitted I prefer those bigger transactions (what business doesn't ?), the ones with more zeroes, so kind of like that bigger table of people. But I treat everyone of my customers with respect what ever amount they are spending. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users