Posted 04 November 2016 - 06:28 AM

Where did I put that tip jar?

I'll transfer you some bitcoins.

• todd likes this

#22 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 07:43 AM

Looks interesting but we'll happily wait awhile before testing these waters......

It's like when a new movie comes to town. I don't need to see it on opening night.

That parking lot will probably be a detraction for some shoppers.

We can find good quality produce at Root Cellar and Big Barn.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#23 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:23 AM

How much is the Pizza? 

You could look at the original pic on flickr at 100% - but I'll save you the trouble.

Pizza prices.png

Edited by Gary H, 04 November 2016 - 08:23 AM.

#24 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:33 AM

Cool, the pizza by the slice is cheaper than at the ferry terminal in Tsawwassen!   :banana:

• bluefox likes this

#25 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 03:22 PM

checked out the store and was impressed.  

I can say they have the best looking customers I have ever seen.  Never saw so many pretty people shopping at any other store before.

Start working on your pickup lines. 

• Mike K. likes this

#26 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 03:37 PM

I dropped by this afternoon and the place was packed. I agree with Mike and others that the store was very well executed but parking is a mess. Hopefully over time they will get that sorted out as they did with Walmart in the early days. I went to WF intending to buy 20 items and I walked out with 5. My guess is that that was a common theme. My obeservation was that about half of the people in the store were looking around and not buying. Lots of people leaving with no groceries. Most of the people who were buying were buying fairly small amounts of groceries. I saw only a handful of people with more than one bag.

I had speculated that WF would open with items priced aggressively and boy was I wrong. The 5 items that I purchased were what they are known for, organic goods. The selection and quality of the food appeared to be as good as or better than anywhere else in town so I am not surprised that those who are looking to buy organic and don't mind paying a premium would go there. The 15 items I didn't buy were staples that you could pretty much get anywhere with a decent selection of natural foods. I found the prices at WF on those items to be at least 20%-30% more than what I could get them for at Thrifty's or Red Barn. Perhaps it was just the items that I buy, but I couldn't stomach paying an extra $25-$35 on identical items just to say I got them at WF.

It will be interesting to see what the traffic looks like in 3 months. I probably won't be in a rush to go back and neither will several of the people I overheard in the store. Unlike a lot of larger cities we are already pretty overweight on healthy food selection at grocery stores, health food stores, and farms which sell direct.

#27 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 03:40 PM

The Whole Foods locations in Vancouver are always busy. West Vancouver's, particularly, has been constantly unpleasant since it opened. I'm a bit worried that the overbearing busyness may be the new normal. Hopefully I'm being cynical.

#28 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 03:56 PM

I think the most unpleasant shopping experience has to be Costco.  I've seen fights in the parking lot and seems like everyone shopping there is rude and aggressive.   But whenever I go, the place is packed.

Red Barn Vanalman is also always so busy, parking is horrible, but they are expanding the parking now, so maybe it will get better.

so, Planet Organic, Lifestyles, the Market stores goals should be to have non rushed, less busy, more enjoyable shopping experience.  

• spanky123 and 57WestHills like this

#29 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 05 November 2016 - 09:51 PM

went in this evening at 8:30, maybe 50 customers. Parked right at the front door in the basement. Its open till 10 every day. Pretty nice selection of food that you dont see in other stores up here. Nice layout, I think it will do very well

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 01:07 PM

The folks who buy organic, vegan or harder to find items that are considered specialty goods by Save-Ons and its ilk but regularly available at Planet Organic and its ilk, they'll be saving money by shopping at Whole Foods.

I went in to buy a few things and walked out with a nearly $70 bill. However, the steaks I got were, honest to God, the absolute best steaks I had ever had in my life. The two pieces cost just under $19, but I don't think I'll ever go back to the stuff Save-Ons sells.

In addition every single other item I purchased tasted absolutely amazing. So despite the prices, you truly get what you pay for, and it just goes to show what's become of our food at our grocery stores.
  • nagel likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#31 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:00 PM

Went in today. Parked in the underground parkade off Ravine. Getting in and out was a breeze. No idea why people insist on parking up top at Uptown.
  • shoeflack and pennymurphy2000 like this

#32 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:18 PM

The folks who buy organic, vegan or harder to find items that are considered specialty goods by Save-Ons and its ilk but regularly available at Planet Organic and its ilk, they'll be saving money by shopping at Whole Foods.

I went in to buy a few things and walked out with a nearly $70 bill. However, the steaks I got were, honest to God, the absolute best steaks I had ever had in my life. The two pieces cost just under $19, but I don't think I'll ever go back to the stuff Save-Ons sells.

In addition every single other item I purchased tasted absolutely amazing. So despite the prices, you truly get what you pay for, and it just goes to show what's become of our food at our grocery stores.

Ever bought meat from Red Barn or directly from a local farmer?

I think that you are probably right on the specialty items, but honestly 90% of what I saw is the identical product available at other stores in town and it was much more expensive (unless you are comparing to Planet Organic).

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:22 PM

Yes, all the time, and that steak was still something spectacular. Red Barn is going to face competition from Whole Foods, as are local fishmongers.

What brands did you find to be more expensive at Whole Foods?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#34 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 03:11 PM

I saw greens in the clamshell packaging (eg spring mix) @ $5.49, identical item at Wal-Mart I think is $3.49.

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 03:21 PM

I'm there now, and here's what I see:

Thrifty's / WF

Island Gold organic eggs: 6.99 / 6.99
Island Farms 2%: 3.69 / 4.49
Organic Gala apples: 3.99 / 2.99 (not a sale price)
Frenchs Mustard: 3.29 / 3.39
Heinz 1L Ketchup: 5.99 / 5.49
Franks Red Hot: 5.99 / 6.99
Udi's Gluten Free bagels: 7.99 / 5.99 (not sale price)
Kettle chips: 3.69 / 3.69

As is the case with all stores, some things are cheaper, others not. Whole Foods is DEFINITELY cheaper than Market on Yates, and literally toe to toe with Thrifty's if they both sell the same products, but the majority of stuff I saw I could not compare with Thrifty's as they either didn't sell the brand or the particular item. I definitely think Whole Foods is going to compete fiercely with Planet Organic, the Market stores and Lifestyles.
  • weirdie, Greg and pennymurphy2000 like this

Know it all.

#36 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 04:13 PM

I saw greens in the clamshell packaging (eg spring mix) @ $5.49, identical item at Wal-Mart I think is $3.49.

Identical as in they where both in a clam shell?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 05:03 PM

The spring mix at Whole Foods is Organic Girl brand for $5.49. Wal-Mart sells Fresh Attitude brand for $3.47, but it's not organic, I don't think. Thrifty's sells Earthbound Farms spring mix for $5.99. At least those are the clamshell brands.

I think that's where a lot of the "Whole Wallet" innuendo comes from, as people compare Brand A to a completely different Brand B and mistake two different products as the same thing with higher prices at Whole Foods.
  • sdwright.vic likes this

Know it all.

#38 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:48 PM

I really don't think people are going run around town to save a few cents on a jar of mustard, but they will go to to shop where the parking is free and uncongested.

#39 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:24 AM

We drink a gallon of milk a day in my house (too much breeding).  I know how much Island Farms milk roughly costs in every grocery store.

Costs about $4.50 at Costco.  About $4.99 at Country Grocer.  About 5 3/4 at Thriftys, $6.69 at Whole Foods, and $6.99 at Red Barn (Saputo not Island Farms).

I can stomach the Thrifty's price but not the WF premium.  That being said I think there's some reasonable prices here.  I would stay away from the bulk dry goods aisle if I was you though.

#40 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:44 AM

The spring mix at Whole Foods is Organic Girl brand for $5.49. Wal-Mart sells Fresh Attitude brand for $3.47, but it's not organic, I don't think. Thrifty's sells Earthbound Farms spring mix for $5.99. At least those are the clamshell brands.

I think that's where a lot of the "Whole Wallet" innuendo comes from, as people compare Brand A to a completely different Brand B and mistake two different products as the same thing with higher prices at Whole Foods.

Just double checked...Organic Girl Baby Spring Mix 142g is $3.00 at Walmart as are all OG items this size. Looks like it was previously $3.97. (284g package is $4.97)

Yes, it's just one item but quite the mark up.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users