Whole Foods Market in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#121 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:09 AM

I want to go to that Amazon store in Seattle. It seems like the future to me. If they can do that on a grocery store level that would be amazing. Maybe they will lower the prices a bit at the same time.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#122 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:25 AM

...Maybe they will lower the prices a bit at the same time.

:lol:

#123 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:20 AM

We already know what Amazon is doing in the grocery space because they have a prototype store.  https://www.amazon.c...ode=16008589011

What's better than self checkout?  No checkout.

Apparently the store breaks if there are more than 20 people in it. https://www.theverge...e-opening-delay

Should be fine for the Victoria WF however :-)

• Mike K., Nparker and Jared like this

#124 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 744 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:25 AM

Why are grocery stores so big?   Because they have tons of stock on the floor.  40 bags of one brand/flavour of chips, 300 jugs of milk, 40 buckets of ice cream.  How about Amazon uses its robotics to make stores smaller?  Robots stock the shelves faster (not normal shelves, these will be shelves that stock from below).  AND of course, the big one they already have at Amazon Go, you do not unload your cart all over again at the self-serve till.  You just leave the store, your SmartCart™ knows what you have.  

This reminds me of the model of Consumers Distributing.  Remember that store at Mayfair Mall?

Small store front and big warehouse at the back.  You put in your order and they ran back to grab it for you.

#125 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:27 AM

This reminds me of the model of Consumers Distributing.  Remember that store at Mayfair Mall?

Small store front and big warehouse at the back.  You put in your order and they ran back to grab it for you.

I do remember that, it was kinda cool for smallish-sized electronics.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#126 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:32 AM

This reminds me of the model of Consumers Distributing...You put in your order and they ran back to grab it for you.

Très innovative - n'est-ce pas?

#127 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:32 AM

^ Cash.

http://money.cnn.com...oods/index.html

From the petty cash drawer.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#128 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:24 AM

It's how liquor is STILL sold in Ontario, lol!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#129 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:25 AM

Beer I think, but yes.  Up the conveyor belt.  "Charlie, a 2-4 of Lucky please!"

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 17 June 2017 - 11:26 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#130 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:35 AM

Not for a long time, now, Mike. I think that was a political reward system. Otherwise unemployable offspring of connected types could be handed an unstressful, overpaying job for life with really good benefits.

#131 skeptic

skeptic
  • 387 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:06 PM

Not for a long time, now, Mike. I think that was a political reward system. Otherwise unemployable offspring of connected types could be handed an unstressful, overpaying job for life with really good benefits.

Possible, but I think it was mainly the puritanical attitude towards booze. I lived in Ottawa in the days when credit cards were not accepted at LCBO stores, and to purchase a bottle you filled out a piece of paper, handed it to the counter clerk with the cash, and he went into the back and returned with the bottle already in a plain brown paper bag. Very soviet-style.
  • VicHockeyFan and AllseeingEye like this

#132 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:18 PM

When I was in Ottawa last year that's excaxtly how I bought my beer.

Am I missing something?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#133 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:50 PM

When I was in Ottawa last year that's excaxtly how I bought my beer.

Am I missing something?

A dictionary.

• VicHockeyFan and Jill like this

#134 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:04 PM

Amazon.com Inc said it will cut prices on a range of popular goods as it completes its acquisition of Whole Foods Market Inc, sending shares of rival grocers tumbling on fears that brutal market share battles will intensify.

The price cuts will extend to stores in Canada, according to Whole Foods Market.

Amazon’s $13.7 billion purchase of Whole Foods, which will be completed on Monday, has been hanging over a brick-and-mortar retail sector unsure of how to respond to the world’s biggest online retailer.

http://globalnews.ca...e-foods-prices/

#135 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:50 AM

Here's where we can expect the initial price reductions to materialize:

"Media reports from across the United States confirm prices on popular staples like bananas, avocados, eggs, lettuce, salmon, ground beef, apples and rotisserie chicken, among others, have been slashed. The same is expected at the chain’s 13 Canadian locations." - http://victoria.citi...hopping-centre/

Know it all.

#136 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:07 AM

Great, so instead of 1.99/lb bananas, they'll be 1.79. Not sure why regular grocers would care, selling bananas at .79/lb.

• Nparker likes this

#137 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:23 AM

The prices being observed in the US depict non-organic bananas priced at the same rate as competing stores. We'll soon see just what this all means, but if Whole Foods can reduce their pricing by 20% for an average shopping run they'll see more of my business, for sure.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#138 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:39 AM

Was there on the weekend and it looks like staff had already started re-pricing items. Since there were few customers they had lots of free time!

I would say that the prices have gone from outrageous down to overpriced. In other words prices have been lowered to be less expensive than Thrifty Foods on many items but still far more than Red Barn on produce and organic items.

Edited by spanky123, 28 August 2017 - 07:40 AM.

#139 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:22 AM

We expect some major changes to the grocery shopping experience now that Amazon has acquired WFM. Likely delivery-based services that downplay the traditional shopping experience and promote online ordering.

Know it all.

#140 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:22 PM

Is everything WF sells food wise organic? I was in the other day and bought a couple of bananas that were $.88  a pound and that seemed reasonable to me.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users