Photo

Lady Marmalade | Victoria | 600-block of Johnson Street | CLOSED in 2015

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:59 PM

Wow! I tried this place out this morning after walking past it every day on my way to work and wondering. I had only half an hour before I had a meeting right across the street (it is on Johnson Street between Broad and Government) so I decided to see how it was.

I asked the server (very nice girl) what I could have that was fast and told her how long I had. She recommended the crepe or french toast, I chose the crepe. A few minutes later she served me ... oh my god! I have never seen a crepe like that! If I can describe this perfect basket, crispy on the edges, crepy in the middle, in this elaborate twist with all kind of fresh fruit and yogurt and granola... what can I say, I am a sucker for pretty food.

What was also nice was that I had plenty of time to eat my meal, drink a couple of cups of coffee, pay, and be on time to my meeting. The service was great, and it wasnt that expensive.

So yeah, recommend
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#2 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:05 PM

I'll have to check this place out.

#3 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:45 AM

Damn just when I find the perfect breakfast/lunch place, it closes for two weeks for renovations. It closed yesterday. With both this and the Superior closed atm my dining needs are unsatisfied!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.

#4 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 02:36 PM

The one time I went there was kinda weird.. the server handed us menus, and then said that we could only order soup, because they had run out of ingredients.

Strange!

But I hear its good when they do have ingredients, so Ill have to try it sometime.

#5 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 03:46 PM

"Lady Marmalade"... sounds like a euphamism for something....
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:13 PM

Its a song by Labelle. And was also featured in the hit musical Moulin Rouge.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#7 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:03 PM

Its a song by Labelle.

Yeah, it must have been one of the first "foreign language" songs to reach high on the pop charts: Voulez-vous couchez avec moi / C'est soir? followed by "wicked" New Orleans "pretty baby" talk (something about "itchy-itchy blah-blah something" -- that's what it sounded like). Itchy-itchy? Oh well, it was a song about sex for sale... :lol:
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:45 PM

"Lady Marmalade"... sounds like a euphamism for something....

This is from the Lady Marmalade video, a song in Moulin Rouge:

From left to right: Lil' Kim, Pink, Mya, Christina Aguilera
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:51 PM

Haha I love that movie.

#10 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:39 PM

Lady Marmelade is not only renovating... she's expanding...

Walked by and read her notice this evening..

#11 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 01:09 PM

*** I did not realize there was a LM thread otherwise I would not have posted what I wrote below on the "wedding catering" thread.

Hey girl,

My partner and I had another stellar breakfast there on Canada Day. Our server named Keah, who is in this months EAT, was awesome.

Thanks again.

Ps. The new Fernwood coffee at LM is the best "drip" coffee in any restaurant in town (my opinion only). Nice and bold!

#12 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:20 PM

Dropped in on this place the other day for breakfast after reading the positive review here.

I had high hopes but the food left a lot to be desired. For $10 I had a meal consisting of a plate with 1/3 bean dip, 1/3 rice (the texture and taste seemed like it was prepared the day before and reserved that morning), and 1/3 scrambled eggs with chorizo sausage. Tortilla chips were also served.

A bit of a strange combination of ingredients that tried to fuse together, but there was a lack of a good chefs touch.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,526 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:09 PM

As mentioned in the food comings and goings thread, Lady Marmalade has closed.

Lady Marmalade Victoria will be closing on Sunday, March 29, 2015. After ten years of operating one of the busiest brunch spots in Victoria, Carla is ready for a new adventure. Thank you for your patronage and support. We have loved feeding you!

http://ladymarmalade...tion-is-closing

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:41 PM

They had a successful eatery so they closed it. All those folks who opened and closed places because they couldn't make a go of it must be envious.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,526 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:49 PM

Does anyone know if it was put up for sale at any point? 10 years in suggests that they went through two 5-year lease terms. Could the landlord have increased the rent? Are there other plans for the space that are favoured over a restaurant?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16 Jared

Jared
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:45 PM

It was quite busy when they first opened but not for the last 5 years or so: it was one of my go-to brunch places because I knew there would never be a line. I'm not really sure why the popularity dropped off so much, because as far as I could tell they were still making decent, fashionable food, although they never changed the menu much after opening. The coffee was ****, but it is at many other successful brunch places too (Floyd's is even worse).

#17 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:02 AM

I heard through the grapevine the landlords jacked the lease way up so they decided to retire the restaurant. 

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users