PROPOSED
Nigel Valley, C1
Use: rental
Address: Vernon Avenue at Lochside Regional Trail
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 16
The tallest structure of BC Housing's Nigel Valley Development in Saanich could rise to 16-storeys and will co... (view full profile)
Learn more about Nigel Valley, C1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich] Nigel Valley Development | Up to 16-storeys | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#21 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:19 AM

Transforming modest Nigel Valley into Saanich’s blockbuster core

…the Nigel Valley Project — named for a street barely a block long — is earmarked for centre stage in the revitalization of Saanich’s up and coming urban core.

It will take a decade or more to complete, but the vision for the nine-acre site is unlike just about anything B.C. has seen before: An accessible people place with plenty of greenspace and a downtown vibe in what is now a huge traffic corridor separating public housing and health facilities from commercial plazas and Uptown Centre.

“To the best of our knowledge, there is no project in B.C. or Canada, with a comparable level of diversity in housing tenure, or co-ordination of like-minded non-profit operators,” according to B.C. Housing. Included are plans to redevelop and expand aging services operated by the Garth Homer Society, Broadmead Care for adults with disabilities, family nonprofit housing run by the Greater Victoria Housing Society, and the Darwin and Newbridge Apartments operated by Island Community Mental Health, among others.

These will be integrated with three buildings providing market rental housing, commercial ventures, greenspace, a daycare, eateries and other urban amenities to make the Nigel Valley a go-to destination, urban enough to incorporate a 12- to 16-storey rental highrise at Vernon and the Lochside Regional Trail. The cost will be many millions over at least 10 years, with no budget in place, according to B.C. Housing.

…..

[long article continues...... http://www.timescolo...core-1.23058948 ]

Attached Images

• Nigel valley.jpg

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:21 AM

To the best of our knowledge, there is no project in B.C. or Canada, with a comparable level of diversity in housing tenure, or co-ordination of like-minded non-profit operator

That's an awful lot of hyperbole.  It's not really going to be that far from a low-income ghetto.  But I guess they can dress it up how they want to make them feel good.

There will be lots of diversity in housing tenure, but one common denominator - nobody living outside of the market rent parts will have a job, they will all be wards of the state.

Also, why is BC Housing building market rate rentals?  Shouldn't we let the - market - build those?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 08 October 2017 - 07:37 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:42 AM

^They figured out there was money to be made in market rate to help subsidize the other.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 08 October 2017 - 11:53 AM.

• Kungsberg likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:49 AM

^They figures out there was money to be made in market rate to help subsidize the other.

I suppose there is when it's all taxpayer money for all the soft costs, even if plans get delayed, scrapped, changed or approved.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:11 AM

Anyone care to wager this will be another View Royal 40 km/h for Blanshard plus reduced lanes?

As a former HandiDart driver from 30 years ago, I know the area well and think its fantastic that this will be redeveloped, there is loads of underused land all around that site, and there is definitely a demand for improved housing such as this.

#26 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:35 AM

I read somewhere that Saanich has some major changes envisioned for Blanshard/Vernon in that area. I don't really recall what it was, but Corey can probably re-enlighten us.

#27 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:49 AM

Also, why is BC Housing building market rate rentals?  Shouldn't we let the - market - build those?

Market inefficiencies. The municipalities oppose private development, resulting in a housing shortage. The province then feels the need to fill the gap. If municipalities like Saanich didn't do things like reduce 16 unit townhouse projects to 14 unit townhouse projects over the course of many, many months worth of reviews and approvals, maybe we wouldn't be in this situation. 

#28 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:06 AM

I read somewhere that Saanich has some major changes envisioned for Blanshard/Vernon in that area. I don't really recall what it was, but Corey can probably re-enlighten us.

If I remember correctly, one concept Saanich wants to explore is relocating the northbound highway lanes to Blanshard, and making Vernon a local street. The report is here: http://www.saanich.c...8 Sept 2017.pdf

Edited by Jackerbie, 10 October 2017 - 10:07 AM.

#29 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:18 AM

^ looks like similar to where-ever I saw this, but not the same. These are major routes for exiting and entering town, and they want to reduce lanes and lane widths!

• Nparker likes this

#30 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:29 AM

...These are major routes for exiting and entering town, and they want to reduce lanes and lane widths!

Sounds like the general trend in the region.  :wacko:

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:37 AM

11. Transform Blanshard Street and Vernon Avenue into Complete Streets

Explore design options that prioritizes local access, a high quality public realm and pedestrian and cyclist mobility. •

Assess ways to improve access to businesses and improve the efficiency of vehicle circulation.

• Support creation of a Master Plan for the Gateway Village (across from the Municipal Hall) and Saanich Plaza sites that integrates potential road changes to create better community connectivity and pedestrian-oriented streetscapes.

• Create a prominent civic space on the Municipal Hall site that engages Vernon Avenue.

• Assess conversion of the existing highway island to park space.

• Support changes that better connect the Nigel Valley with area destinations.

• Work with the MoTI to explore reductions in the number of travel lanes and lane widths.

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:38 AM

Well let's hope Moti shows them that's not a good plan.

#33 moretrain

moretrain
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:47 AM

I would personally like to see some for-profit condos built as part of this to further subsidize the development. More buildings over 10 stories would be my preference, but apart from that I think its a good idea.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#34 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 17 July 2018 - 02:49 PM

BC-Housings-800-unit-Nigel-Valley-development-to-go-before-Saanich-council.jpg
A conceptual massing diagram identifies the 12 parcels slated for redevelopment at Saanich's Nigel Valley district, situated along Vernon Avenue near Uptown Shopping Centre. The total build-out of the BC Housing-led project, which will include affordable, supportive and market housing, will be just shy of 800-units.

BC Housing's 800-unit Nigel Valley development to go before Saanich council

https://victoria.cit...aanich-council/

Plans to redevelop Saanich’s Nigel Valley into hundreds of new residential units will go before council on July 23, Citified has learned.

796 affordable, supportive and market rental residences are envisioned to replace the Nigel Valley’s existing 186 homes as part of a major undertaking encompassing 12 properties bordered by Vernon, Darwin and Nigel avenues near Saanich's municipal hall. Five agencies tasked with delivering housing and social services are involved in the project spearheaded by BC Housing.

Saanich has elected to pursue a phased approval process for individual parcels similar to how the municipality handled the development of Uptown Shopping Centre, Carey Road’s Mount View Campus of Care and the multi-phased Travino residential development off West Saanich Road. [Full article]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#35 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 06:25 PM

Looking good. The residential area surrounding Uptown really should be a lot denser considering all the industrial, commercial and greenspace amenities on the block. Thi

#36 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:32 PM

I like the concept very much particularly since the existing care and special need facilities are inadequate, aged and generally well past their best due dates however - and this should come as no surprise whatsoever - according to the story in today's T-C there is already a move brewing to reduce the 16 floor building to 12 stories.....

Honestly why doesn't the region just get on with renaming it "Table Top City", because in spite of the (what....all of 5-6 buildings higher than that?) the "skyline" of this town looks like just that: a dull, uninspired and quite uninteresting table top. 

• Nparker and sdwright.vic like this

#37 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:22 PM

I like the concept very much particularly since the existing care and special need facilities are inadequate, aged and generally well past their best due dates however - and this should come as no surprise whatsoever - according to the story in today's T-C there is already a move brewing to reduce the 16 floor building to 12 stories.....

Honestly why doesn't the region just get on with renaming it "Table Top City", because in spite of the (what....all of 5-6 buildings higher than that?) the "skyline" of this town looks like just that: a dull, uninspired and quite uninteresting table top. 

The line just before that comment re dropping from 16 floors to 12 read :

Hamill said the association is concerned that the granting of height approval for the tower, however, would mean losing council’s leverage over the final design of a highrise.

:whyme:

Edited by grantpalin, 21 July 2018 - 11:23 PM.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#38 threePs

threePs
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:58 AM

CotW tonight for Nigel Valley

#39 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 12:09 PM

^I assume then you are...

Making Plans For Nigel

?

• Nparker, AllseeingEye, Matt R. and 3 others like this

#40 threePs

threePs
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 02:28 PM

^I assume then you are...

Making Plans For Nigel

?

If you're asking if i'll be there, then the answer is yes.

• Rob Randall likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users