986 Heywood
Use: condo
Address: 986 Heywood Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
986 Heywood is a four-storey condominium building along the 900-block of Heywood Avenue in the City of Victori... (view full profile)
Learn more about 986 Heywood on Citified.ca
Photo

[Fairfield] 986 Heywood | Condos | 4-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#1 GRT

GRT
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 04:20 PM

Has anyone heard about a construction proposal on Heywood between Park Blvd and Oliphant St?

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 07:49 AM

Are you referring to 212 Cook or another project? I now there is at least one developer buying up property between those streets. Everyone's waiting to see what happens with 212.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 GRT

GRT
  • 106 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:23 AM

No, not that project.  I heard from my neighbour on Park Blvd that the houses between the Art Deco condo at the corner of Park and Heywood and the townhouses at the corner of Oliphant and Heywood are being torn down to build a multi-unit building.  I also recall receiving a notice in the mail about possible zoning changes for this area.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:29 AM

No, not that project.  I heard from my neighbour on Park Blvd that the houses between the Art Deco condo at the corner of Park and Heywood and the townhouses at the corner of Oliphant and Heywood are being torn down to build a multi-unit building.  I also recall receiving a notice in the mail about possible zoning changes for this area.

That would make sense.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:07 AM

Go to the City of Victoria website and check out their Development Tracker app. It tracks the progress of every development proposal in the works. And yes, the proposal is for a four-story residential building on Heywood.

• Nparker likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#6 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:13 AM

... the proposal is for a four-story residential building on Heywood.

Thank goodness it isn't a proposal for a 5-storey building since that would be the end of life as we know it.

• Hotel Mike and johnk like this

#7 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:18 AM

... the houses between the Art Deco condo at the corner of Park and Heywood and the townhouses at the corner of Oliphant and Heywood are being torn down to build a multi-unit building...

These?

heywood.JPG

#8 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:37 PM

986-990 Heywood

Attached Images

• 986-990 Heywood.JPG

• Nparker, DavidSchell and SusanJones like this

#9 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:41 PM

Oooooh, that looks nice! 

#10 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:34 PM

How long before the NIMBY's come out to support this project "just not in this location"?

• DavidSchell likes this

#11 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:18 AM

That would be quite the juxtaposition of the two buildings coming off the park. One a very cool art deco building with some great interior spaces, the other an ultra modern unit. It's bold thinking...likely a perfect target for those who wish to shoot it down.

• Nparker and AllseeingEye like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#12 GRT

GRT
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:20 AM

Thanks!  Is there a thread elsewhere already for this project that I can follow?

#13 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:17 AM

Heywood already went through CALUC at FGCA in October

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:42 PM

Some more info here, namely that the project is a 21-unit condo development with anticipated one, two and three-bedroom layouts, the developers are Tri-Eagle and Jawl Residential, and approvals are targeted for mid-2017.

986-988-Heywood-Avenue.jpg

Fairfield condo development to overlook Victoria's Beacon Hill Park

http://victoria.citi...acon-hill-park/

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:18 PM

Does anyone know if there are plans to relocate the existing SFHs on this site?  The one on the right in NParker's photo above is quite appealing and could potentially be converted into character condos at another location if the house is moved...

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#16 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:32 PM

I actually think both of these houses could be candidates for relocation. Once again I'm a bit mystified about the properties that are coming up for redevelopment in Victoria.

#17 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:36 PM

To be clear, I understand why somebody would want to build another small apartment block in this neighbourhood and facing the park, of course. There's no mystery there. But I guess I'm wondering why this project would be viable enough to move to the front burner even though it involves replacing two perfectly fine houses and even as many other properties around town remain in limbo.

#18 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:49 PM

I still say it would be seriously innovative if Victoria & Oak Bay & Esquimalt could come up with some initiative to encourage the relocation & preservation of these sorts of houses within Victoria & Oak Bay & Esquimalt, and maybe also within Saanich or other municipalities in Victoria.

I'm not talking about encouraging the removal & relocation of older houses as a matter of course. I'm talking about encouraging the relocation and preservation of older houses when those houses are slated for redevelopment and nothing stands in the way to prevent it re: heritage designations, etc. it would be nice if the parties involved could be rewarded for not demolishing character homes, is my point. Redistributing the character houses around town would be much better than demolishing them outright.

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:49 PM

I like this proposal. It will probably get mired in the approval process for years.

#20 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:51 PM

I still say it would be seriously innovative if Victoria & Oak Bay & Esquimalt could come up with some initiative to encourage the relocation & preservation of these sorts of houses within Victoria & Oak Bay & Esquimalt...Redistributing the character houses around town would be much better than demolishing them outright.

I suppose the greatest obstacle would be the availability of land within these areas to relocate larger structures like these.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users