BUILT
The Haro
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 5120-5144 Cordova Bay Road
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, sub-penthouse, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Haro is a mixed-used residential and retail community situated along the 5100-block of Cordova Bay Road in... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Haro on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich] 5120-5144 Cordova Bay Road | Condos; commercial | 4, 4 and 4-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#101 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:41 PM

...I don't know why I didn't stop to snap a photo, lol.

Pics are available on the above VicNews webpage.

#102 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:30 PM

Rumor is no asbestos abatement was completed and those piles on site are loaded with hazmat

#103 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:05 AM

The NIMBYs aren't letting this one go without a fight, and they are willing to waste BCSC time to try and get their way.

Saanich residents frustrated with council’s approval of a four-storey condo-retail development in Cordova Bay are seeking a judicial review in B.C. Supreme Court....The petition, filed March 27 by residents Derek Hopkins and Karl Doetsch, maintains the wrong set of rules was used in approving the new development at 5120 and 5144 Cordova Bay Rd. — resulting in it being four storeys rather than one or two. Lawyer David Busch, who is representing Hopkins and Doetsch, said the zoning bylaws for the area and the official community plan — specifically appendix N, which deals with development permit areas — are in conflict. The official community plan says new buildings in the area should not exceed 7.5 metres in height, Busch said. “It is our understanding of the law that the official community plan trumps zoning bylaws.”...

http://www.timescolo...ment-1.23300856

Let's just hope they are not successful or development could be brought to a halt everywhere.

#104 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:25 AM

^ that is interesting. Suppose they are successful. That CSV development that had a big uproar conformed to the OCP, did it not? Was zoning amended?

#105 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:21 AM

^ Personally, I don't think this is going anywhere. If the OCP trumped zoning bylaws, then nobody in downtown Victoria would need to rezone their property because of the OCP designations. The OCP does not trump existing zoning, it establishes the plan and process for rezoning. Councils cannot adopt a bylaw that is contrary to the OCP, but existing zoning is existing zoning. 

As for the DP guidelines in Appendix N, they're just that: guidelines. That's why every single statement contained in the guidelines is prefaced by "should," not "must." A variance is only required when something is contrary to the zoning bylaw. 

• Nparker and jonny like this

#106 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:23 AM

You'd think by passing a OCP, councils should be obligated to proactively rezone as part of that...

• jonny likes this

#107 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:46 AM

The NIMBYs aren't letting this one go without a fight, and they are willing to waste BCSC time to try and get their way...

^ Personally, I don't think this is going anywhere..

This isn't over yet.

A judicial review of a controversial four-storey condo-retail development in Cordova Bay will go ahead in B.C. Supreme Court without a bid to try to stop the development...

http://www.timescolo...ceed-1.23361347

#108 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:36 AM

well that will take a year to get a court date then

#109 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:38 AM

A judicial review of a controversial four-storey condo-retail development in Cordova Bay will go ahead in B.C. Supreme Court without a bid to try to stop the development...

http://www.timescolo...ceed-1.23361347

I spat out my Corn Flakes upon reading the phrase "controversial four-storey condo-retail development."  FFS.

Edited by Bob Fugger, 08 July 2018 - 08:39 AM.

• Nparker, AllseeingEye and sebberry like this

#110 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:52 AM

This isn't over yet.

You'd think that was a Beaverton article but no, NIMBYs do sincerely believe their life mission is to keep the wheel of time from turning to prevent even the slightest of inconveniences to themselves.

• Nparker and thundergun like this

#111 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 July 2018 - 01:56 PM

http://www.timescolo...rmit-1.23377884

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#112 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 03:03 PM

You'd think that was a Beaverton article but no, NIMBYs do sincerely believe their life mission is to keep the wheel of time from turning to prevent even the slightest of inconveniences to themselves.

They dont grasp that the wheel of time turns slowly but grinds exceedingly fine.
  • Mike K. and sebberry like this

#113 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 04:08 PM

^^unbelievable, because someone thinks they found something a billion years ago, but can't provide proof!  I would inform the public because of tight construction funds and unless we can get going soon we may be forced to build low income housing, about 300 units complete with parking for 300 shopping carts!

• songheesguy likes this

#114 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 04:56 PM

/\.....I would add a free injection site just for added blood pressure-raising fun.

Seriously though can there be anywhere on the globe where so many folks in an urban population of 400K, a capital city of a major jurisdiction to boot, get so in a twist and so worked up over 4,5,6-story proposals? Northern Junk of course is one those that comes immediately to mind. How many proposals have we now seen for that site???

The Pentagon, still the world's largest office building with nearly 7 miilion square feet and seven stories covering nearly 250 hectares, was built in less than 16 months. Here in Pokeyville by the Sea, on paltry proposals that pale into insignificance by comparison, such as NJ and this Cordova Bay site, we'll happily muck about going aimlessly in circles for 16 or more years, arguing endlessly about the addition of a single floor - without even agreeing on a friggin' design without a court challenge apparently - much less actually *build* anything, lol.

Note - I just re-read the part above about "worked up" and "twist" and especially "4....stories" and giggled. A lot.

Edited by AllseeingEye, 24 July 2018 - 04:57 PM.

#115 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 07:29 AM

I received this email this morning indicating they are very confident with excavation going forward soon. Very Victorian of them to open the conversation with talk about the weather  :whyme:

What is new at The Haro?

It’s finally starting to heat up in Cordova Bay. The sun is out and people are taking to the beach. With the increase in temperature there has been an increase in activity in the neighbourhood -  and it's about to get a lot more exciting. Presale units are going to be available for registrants a lot sooner than we thought! August should see our excavation permit going through and we should be ready to break ground. Are you excited? We sure are! 

#116 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 07:35 AM

I received this email this morning indicating they are very confident with excavation going forward soon. Very Victorian of them to open the conversation with talk about the weather  :whyme:

What is new at The Haro?

It’s finally starting to heat up in Cordova Bay. The sun is out and people are taking to the beach. With the increase in temperature there has been an increase in activity in the neighbourhood -  and it's about to get a lot more exciting. Presale units are going to be available for registrants a lot sooner than we thought! August should see our excavation permit going through and we should be ready to break ground. Are you excited? We sure are! 

Optimism is a wonderful attribute.

• tjv likes this

#117 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 November 2018 - 09:22 AM

This development now has a small showroom on Oak Street (same developer as 881 Short Street). 

Ground floor concrete and then wood frame above.

#118 songheesguy

songheesguy
  • 144 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 06:20 PM

Had never heard of this project until a unit came on realtor.ca today. This project got the finishings right IMO. Heated bathroom floors, double sinks in bathrooms, gas stove and gas bbq hook ups....if only it were steel and concrete on all levels. I wonder if this building is sold out or if the unit listed is still a presale. Does anyone know what stage it is at?

#119 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:52 PM

They are selling units now according to a sales email I got October 31st.

Try this link for info:

https://vip.theharo.com/

#120 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 November 2018 - 08:17 AM

Had never heard of this project until a unit came on realtor.ca today. This project got the finishings right IMO. Heated bathroom floors, double sinks in bathrooms, gas stove and gas bbq hook ups....if only it were steel and concrete on all levels. I wonder if this building is sold out or if the unit listed is still a presale. Does anyone know what stage it is at?

Thing is concrete is probably the biggest quality factor. Does anyone know what the difference in cost is between wood and concrete?

They just started sales.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users