Photo

Johnny Rockets | Victoria | The Bay Centre; Hillside Shopping Centre | Coming 2017

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:48 AM

I fearlessly predict it will be more popular than Applebees.

• Nparker likes this

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:54 AM

Not the first in Canada was at one in Niagara Falls and in Windsor

Also FYI there is one on the Explorer of the Seas cruise ship which call here each week in season.

That's been closed for a long time, as have all other Canadian locations. I don't think anyone has said the BC locations are the first ones in Canada, but they are the only ones in Canada.

And I don't think what occurs on some cruise ship has much bearing on Victoria's restaurant scene.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:54 AM

Ok ok I saw some post saying first in canada

Edited by HB, 30 November 2016 - 09:55 AM.

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:55 AM

Not in the Citified article.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:58 AM

Enough burger talk, let's get back to the mud.  Has it spread west of Blanshard yet?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#26 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:22 AM

Sling burgers, not mud.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#27 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:06 AM

Do we really need yet another burger joint? I'd rather see some nice Asian fusion options a la Vancouver. The Broadway area in Kits has several of them which are all top notch. I would think for a small market Victoria is already saturated with 'burger outlets but that's just MO....

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:08 AM

Do we really need yet another burger joint? 

Maybe let the marketplace decide?

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#29 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:13 AM

Maybe let the marketplace decide?

You should look up the concept of "rhetorical"; I wasn't expecting a concrete answer here and my comment stands. For a small market we have plenty of 'burger' joints - IMO. My point is that for a city that claims to be 'wold class' and also depends on tourism to inject a $billion+ dollars into the economy it seems to me more options are always better, Asian-fusion being one of them. But yes ultimately the market will decide.

#30 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:40 AM

Vancouver needs more burger joints.

• RoadRunner likes this

#31 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:40 AM

Hmm. No veggie burger options, which is surprising for a company with so many westcoast locations. Even fatburger has one.

I'm sure I wouldn't have gone more than once anyway, given the great local options we have, but I'm always willing to try a new restaurant once.

#32 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:46 AM

No veggie burger options...

Pretty sure the arugula burger is their featured item, hence the name of the place.

#33 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:18 PM

Hmm. No veggie burger options, which is surprising for a company with so many westcoast locations. Even fatburger has one.
I'm sure I wouldn't have gone more than once anyway, given the great local options we have, but I'm always willing to try a new restaurant once.

ive been to a johnny rockets a couple times in Vegas its great
  • todd likes this

#34 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:30 PM

It would be nice if they brought Harveys back I miss the one that used to be at Yates/Broad
  • Dr. Barillas likes this

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:53 PM

Here's the thing about chain restaurants. When you really love one, you seek it out.

It's not unlike every time you go to the grocery store you buy the same brand of cereal and the same brand of milk. There are other options, but you stick to one.

Why restaurant chains get so much grief from some folks has always struck me as odd in light of most people being creatures of habit.

You should look up the concept of "rhetorical"; I wasn't expecting a concrete answer here and my comment stands. For a small market we have plenty of 'burger' joints - IMO. My point is that for a city that claims to be 'wold class' and also depends on tourism to inject a $billion+ dollars into the economy it seems to me more options are always better, Asian-fusion being one of them. But yes ultimately the market will decide.

I don't think most people have the faintest idea what Asian fusion is. To me it sounds like it's whatever someone wants it to be, like fajitas stuffed with sushi or teriyaki hot dogs, or wonton tomato soup.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, johnk and 2 others like this

Know it all.

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:54 PM

It would be nice if they brought Harveys back I miss the one that used to be at Yates/Broad

I kind of miss it too.  I should give Fatburgers a few more visits, it seems OK.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#37 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:49 PM

...I should give Fatburger a few more visits, it seems OK.

I was in there on the weekend. It's not bad. Better than Mickey D's across the street for sure.

#38 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:54 PM

ive been to a johnny rockets a couple times in Vegas its great

Never been to one. What makes it different or better?

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:56 PM

Gelmon said JR Canada plans to “preserve the Americana of the chain,” but run the restaurant group as Canadian. 

“Canadians love Americana — they love American chains, they love American burgers and french fries,” he said. 

But Canadians don’t want to see U.S. chains coming north to Canada and bringing American staff and operations management with them. “That’s were you have to Canadianize it,” Gelmon explained.  

In the spring, JR Canada completed its initial private placement, raising $6.7 million to open the first round of stores. The company also plans to focus on express units, a fast casual version of Johnny Rockets where customers order and pay at the counter instead of receiving full table service.  
“We plan on doing express units because we can take advantage of high-efficiency kitchen formats and a high-efficiency menu, which keeps our labour costs low,” said Gelmon. 

The combination of no debt from the private placement and lower labour costs, means JR Canada will pay more than minimum wage and offer strong benefits packages to full-time employees, said Gelmon. 

“Our staff will be paid at the very top end of the market, which means we believe we’ll get the better staff and they will be hopefully with us for a very long period of time,” said Gelmon, noting he believes this is important to Canadian diners. “We’re going to have living wages. I personally can’t imagine having people working for us full time for us who can’t survive — that’s not good business.” 

• Matt R. likes this

#40 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:00 PM

Top end if what market?
Fast food or restraunts generally speaking?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users