Photo

Johnny Rockets | Victoria | The Bay Centre; Hillside Shopping Centre | Coming 2017

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#41 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:04 PM

...most people have the faintest idea what Asian fusion is. To me it sounds like it's whatever someone wants it to be, like fajitas stuffed with sushi or teriyaki hot dogs, or wonton tomato soup.

Methinks Mike K. is trying to stir the pot with his wanton disregard for this subject. Fusion confusion can be more serious than you realize. Is Asian fusion something that you eat or something that you listen to? Or something that you wear? Try offering a starving man an MP3 file or a scarf and let me know how it works out.

• VicHockeyFan and Rob Randall like this

#42 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 744 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:26 PM

I think the reason we have so many burger restaurants is the cost to run them is low compared to other restaurants.

you have limited menu items and simple food that any person can be trained to cook easily in a few days, therefore lower costs to operate.

Compare this to a Chinese restaurant, when you look at the menu that has 200 plus items listed.  You need all the ingredients listed in stock and have a cook that can make all those complex dishes.

people also know what they are getting.  it's easy to compare one place to another, everyone has their favourite burger place.

• Matt R. likes this

#43 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:02 PM

Never been to one. What makes it different or better?

just tasty burgers and feels really, really 'merican
  • sdwright.vic likes this

#44 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 06:02 PM

Not enough to bring me in.
My 'merican friends love In 'n' Out Burger so I'll try them out next time in CA.

#45 Layne French

Layne French
  • 355 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:24 PM

I was recently in a Fuddruckers... I didn't remember it being that "MURICA" type of place. They had burgers ready to cook in their case that were about the size of a standard dinner plate. lots of neon signs inside and even a canoe strapped to the rafters

is this what you were referencing for style?

Edited by Layne French, 02 December 2016 - 06:27 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#46 2F2R

2F2R
  • 673 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:49 AM

When are they opening, anybody know ?

#47 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:29 AM

I've given up on burgers. Too many tasteless patties cooked into dry oblivion. We 're not allowed to have a juicy burger anymore, even if requested. Not even with a waiver form. I just love being protected from myself.

#48 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:32 AM

... I just love being protected from myself.

Blame it on an increasingly litigious society.

#49 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:36 AM

Fat Burgers are great.

Big Wheel ...buns don't taste good  meat is OK

Red Robin awesome for the most part

Bin 4 ...why wreck a good thing adding crazy toppings

• Nparker likes this

#50 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:38 AM

I've given up on burgers. Too many tasteless patties cooked into dry oblivion. We 're not allowed to have a juicy burger anymore, even if requested. Not even with a waiver form. I just love being protected from myself.

Clearly we need to have a weekly burger session at johnk's house.   Your choice of lightly braised, or raw.  We'll need to watch you grind the beef.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#51 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:43 AM

Clearly we need to have a weekly burger session at johnk's house.   Your choice of lightly braised, or raw.  We'll need to watch you grind the beef.

With 10% pork and 10% veal. You have to supply the beer!
  • Mike K. likes this

#52 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:47 AM

Over in the burger thread we discussed the places you can get a medium-rare burger, like Brasserie l'ecole.

#53 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:50 AM

With 10% pork and 10% veal. You have to supply the beer!

You know what's funny, this is 100% funnier now that many of us have met johnk at the Christmas meet.  I could see it being a good time.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#54 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:20 PM

The best time! The greatest time. Yuuge fun!

#55 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:59 PM

big wheel does a pretty red burger
  • johnk likes this
Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#56 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:10 PM

yes i found that out when i returned it to have them cook it they said it was ok to have it red that the way they cook them ..totally on the other side of the fence from what people are told about cooking ground beef

• Nparker likes this

#57 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:12 PM

yes i found that out when i returned it to have them cook it they said it was ok to have it red that the way they cook them ..totally on the other side of the fence from what people are told about cooking ground beef

The rule is, grind your beef, then cook it soon, then it does not matter if it's not cooked well through.  The problem is when there is a big delay between grinding and cooking, or bad handling anyway along the process. 

• adubbz likes this

#58 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:23 PM

Over in the burger thread we discussed the places you can get a medium-rare burger, like Brasserie l'ecole.

Good to know, haven't been there for a while.

#59 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:16 PM

The problem is industrial ground beef has muscle from dozens or hundreds of animals all mixed together, increasing the risk of contamination. Of course even fresh ground, single muscle meat is prone to contamination but really, there is no law or "health code" restriction around cooking fresh ground meat to whatever temp you want, or even serving it completely and totally raw.

Most operators see the risk and want to reduce it for their own sake.

Matt.
  • Jill and adubbz like this

#60 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:36 PM

I don't have an issue with eating a slab of meat done "bloody as hell" but ground meat....forget it too risky
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users