Photo

Johnny Rockets | Victoria | The Bay Centre; Hillside Shopping Centre | Coming 2017

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#61 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:03 PM

Yeah the supposed law against rare beef burgers always sounded at least half made up to me. I have had beef tartar several times in BC.

#62 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:06 PM

They hope to open next month.

https://victoria.cra...6075704858.html

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#63 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:07 PM

Johnny Rockets opening in Hillside and Bay Centres in June – promising $15/hr. starting wages

It's fast food with wages starting at a fair amount higher than the industry average.

MORE:

• 57WestHills likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#64 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:21 PM

Checked it out today. Forms aren't even in place... doubt next month.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#65 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:22 PM

Job posting has been deleted.

#66 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:32 PM

Checked it out today. Forms aren't even in place... doubt next month.

When I peeked into Bay Centre last week, it looked like a long way away from June.

#67 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:33 PM

Job posting has been deleted.

Team leader, $17 to $18/hr.

https://victoria.cra...6107093266.html

#68 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:30 PM

When I peeked into Bay Centre last week, it looked like a long way away from June.

Walked by around 2pm heading back to our offices and poked my head in after an off site meeting; yeah "at least June" IMO. Was surprised at how much work actually remains. I don't think they'll be flipping any burgers for awhile yet......

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#69 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:42 PM

Honestly, I'm not sure why

the $15/hr. thing is making news

http://vancouverisla...pping-1.3409247

I can walk into a McDonalds, or a Subway or almost anywhere that pays near minimum wage and I can point out employees that are easily worth $15/hr.   There may be few of them, but they are there.

This place has just decided to hire the slightly higher caliber workers.  Sounds good to me.  Surely it's not that big a stretch to think that some employees - even in the fast food business - can easily be $4/hr. more productive than others.

• jonny likes this

#70 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:27 PM

Yeah you just pay a dollar or two above average and just skim the cream off the top of the labour pool, and they stay and work hard.  It's not "rocket" science - ha, ha, ha.

We just beefed up our benefits package to include optional LTD.  It used to feel like working in a restaurant, especially as a cook, was a race to the bottom.  The tide has definitely turned. 

Matt.

• Nparker, jonny and 57WestHills like this

#71 kafkaesque

kafkaesque
  • 88 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:19 PM

I tried it this week at the Hillside location.  We had the Original burger, the Rocket burger and fries.  The fries were semi-cold, unsalted and dense, tasteless.  The Original was quite juicy, although my dining companion thought the meat was tough and the burger cold because the bun wasn't warmed or toasted and too soft for her taste. 

The Rocket was good, basic, no specific flavors, maybe needed a bit more seasoning, I liked the bun, which was softer than many and almost a sweet dough.  I think they must oil the buns, because my hands were totally covered in grease and none of it came from the burger. Given the choice and price point, I would likely pick A&W first, but it seemed like a decent burger and trying ones with more toppings is something I am willing to do. 

The fries just sucked.  Milkshakes looked good.  They seemed slow and disorganized, with orders waiting to go the 3 feet from the window to the person waiting for at least 5 minutes on 2 occasions while we waited.

Edited by kafkaesque, 24 June 2017 - 06:20 PM.

• David Bratzer likes this

#72 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:02 PM

Goyta say not the norm from other places I gave had them. Hopefully just expansion pains?

#73 kafkaesque

kafkaesque
  • 88 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:03 PM

^I will give them a try at another location then.  Might just have been an off day etc. I feel compelled to try the milkshakes :) so might as well have another burger.  Maybe onion rings.  Just to be thorough.

#74 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:23 AM

Milkshakes are AWESOME
  • kafkaesque likes this

#75 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:44 AM

Haven't tried it as yet but the downtown-Bay Center location is always busy at lunch during the business week whenever I happen to be out and about.....

#76 kafkaesque

kafkaesque
  • 88 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:30 PM

It was 11:45am when we ordered and there were 3 sets of people waiting, several people in the vicinity with shakes and only a couple of people ordered after us that I saw in the 20 minutes that we sat. Very quiet, whereas several places nearby had lineups.

#77 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:41 AM

I've had lunch at the Bay Centre location twice since it opened. Got the Rocket Burger both times and it was tasty, all the ingredients were super fresh, and the burger was excellently put together. For fast food, the burger looked straight out of a commercial. Agree that the fries are pretty bland though - I had to add a ton of salt and pepper.

For burgers at a comparable price point, it's light years ahead of Fatburger, and not as greasy as Big Wheel. I'll keep going back.

Also the staff (mostly looking around 16 years old) were great - really friendly, efficient, and clearly enjoying their jobs.

#78 kafkaesque

kafkaesque
  • 88 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:02 PM

Okay, take 2, at Hillside.  Bacon and Cheese burger, no fries.  Really hot and tasty, service was quick and on the ball, long line that was dealt with quickly. I would have it again.  Now to try the new Big Wheel in my 'hood and Pink Bicycle.

Edited by kafkaesque, 29 June 2017 - 07:03 PM.

• Nparker and pennymurphy2000 like this

#79 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:09 PM

...Now to try the new Big Wheel in my 'hood and Pink Bicycle.

The Pink Bicycle is the favourite burger place of a good friend of mine. The burgers are usually very good (if a bit messy to eat), but the service can be a bit hit-and-miss. The lack of air conditioning can also make the place a bit stuffy in the summer, but an icy cold cider can help beat the heat.

• Mike K., sukika, shoeflack and 3 others like this

#80 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:34 PM

I tried the cheeseburger and onions rings at the Hillside location.

The food was good, though the price was at the upper end of what I'll pay to eat in a food court.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users