• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 03:34 PM

CELEBRATE CANADA JUNE 21, 2017 – JULY 1, 2017

From June 21 through July 1, 2017, enjoy 11 days of free outdoor events in our beautiful Inner Harbour. We will celebrate and enjoy our nation and city’s multicultural artistry, and diverse food and beverage offerings, all culminating with a spectacular firework display on Canada Day, July 1, 2017. Canada Day will feature Main Stage programming and, of course, a massive firework display. See our schedule for programming details.

http://spirit150vict...lebrate-canada/

No details yet.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 03:57 PM

The details might be that there is NO free parking downtown on Canada Day.

• GaryRanson likes this

#3 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:40 AM

I think we can now excuse Atomique for their delays in announcing Rifflandia this year.

This is a pretty heavy lineup.

Spirit150-lineup-1-1024x574.png

Spirit150-lineup-harbourstage-1024x305.png

Website-150-HarbourStage-Schedule-copy-1024x403.png

http://spirit150vict...anada/schedule/

Edited by shoeflack, 15 May 2017 - 10:41 AM.

#4 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:36 AM

I think we can now excuse Atomique for their delays in announcing Rifflandia this year.

This is a pretty heavy lineup.

RTS cancellation makes lots of sense now!

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:10 AM

Multiculturalism Day.  What Trudeaupian garbage.

• RFS likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:15 AM

Multiculturalism Day.  What Trudeaupian garbage.

And what is" EDM Day"? "Eventide Day" sounds like it comes from the Middle Ages?

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:40 AM

What do we do on National Aboriginal Day?  Celebrate their 65% jobless rate?  Their suicide rate that's 5x the national average?  Or their non-existent home ownership options on reserve?  

At the very least I hope it's a session where they shame the rest of us for treating them so utterly poorly.

#8 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,335 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 05:43 AM

Budget squeezes Canada Day policing; scale back celebration, says Isitt

https://www.timescol...sitt-1.23842091

#9 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 06:35 AM

So Councillor Isitt want's to scale back the Canada Day celebrations because there is not enough dollars in the piggy bank to pay for the required policing.

He suggests restricting the activities to the legislature grounds.

Where are you going to put the other 30,000 people Ben?

#10 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,335 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 06:40 AM

some type of gulag i suppose.

• Nparker likes this

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 07:11 AM

Budget squeezes Canada Day policing; scale back celebration, says Isitt...

So Councillor Isitt want's to scale back the Canada Day celebrations because there is not enough dollars in the piggy bank to pay for the required policing...

Comrade "No Fun" strikes again.  :mad:  He's pathetic.

#12 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 09:33 AM

I'm quite positive Issit considers Canada Day racist and sees this as a win-win
  • Nparker and rjag like this

#13 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 June 2019 - 09:42 AM

I'm quite positive Issit considers Canada Day racist  repressive colonial capitalism and sees this as a win-win

Fixed it for you

• Nparker likes this

#14 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 June 2019 - 09:58 AM

So Councillor Isitt want's to scale back the Canada Day celebrations because there is not enough dollars in the piggy bank to pay for the required policing.

He suggests restricting the activities to the legislature grounds.

Where are you going to put the other 30,000 people Ben?

his comment on Local Gov FB page

Ben Isitt Thanks for posting this, Roger. For the record, this article misquotes me and I have requested a correction in the online version. In my conversation with the reporter yesterday, I proposed that the city respond to the shortfall in policing resources by considering narrowing the geographic scope of the Canada Day event to the Legislative Grounds and adjacent road frontages, specifically mentioning the Belleville Street frontage. I have not proposed confining the event exclusively to the legislative grounds, which likely lacks adequate space for the anticipated turnout.

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 10:19 AM

narrowing the geographic scope of the Canada Day event to the Legislative Grounds and adjacent road frontages, specifically mentioning the Belleville Street frontage

Oh my that's vastly different than just the legislative grounds. Clearly the local media is out to defame our dear comrade.

#16 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 10:52 AM

even if it was confined to just the legislative lawns that won't stop people from going downtown in mass.. that won't stop all those that go down for the fireworks in the evening which often spills onto the empress lawns and the rest of the inner harbour, and ofcourse that won't stop the evening activities of the bar crowd and nightlife which is very lively on Canada day..

#17 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,335 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 11:12 AM

last year they arrested 17 people. 

https://www.timescol...ions-1.23355323

and they pay a whole bunch of money for access to the courthouse lock-up/cells anticipating much more.  cut that expenditure first.

The Canada Day costs broadly include police and civilian overtime, supplies and logistics, and B.C. Sheriff services, Powell says.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 June 2019 - 11:15 AM.

#18 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 11:43 AM

last year they arrested 17 people. 

https://www.timescol...ions-1.23355323

and they pay a whole bunch of money for access to the courthouse lock-up/cells anticipating much more.  cut that expenditure first.

it's not just the amount of arrests it's also calls for service, last year it was 157 calls for service in Victoria and Esquimalt... we are also living in the world of terrorism attacks that they have to be prepared for..

#19 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,335 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 11:46 AM

but opening the courthouse cells at $30,000 does not make sense unless you anticipate arresting 50 terrorists.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 June 2019 - 11:46 AM.

#20 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 June 2019 - 03:45 PM

If they cancelled the fireworks show, you'd have a lot fewer people downtown. And they'd be showing climate leadership by not letting incendiary devices off into the air.

As for the courthouse cells, surely renting a few shipping containers would be cheaper?

• rjag likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users