United States politics and foreign policy discussion

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 34,560 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:30 PM

This thread is intended for discussions on United States politics and foreign policy. This discussion is not for the purposes of a pro-Trump or anti-Trump debate. Partisan discussions will be moved to the Trump Presidency discussion.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 34,560 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:32 PM

Although the company says the hiring spree is unrelated to politics and the plan was set a few months ago, the timing is peculiar.

Anyways, IBM has been criticized after years of shedding its US workforce and hiring offshore workers. The sudden reversal is hopefully one that other US/Canadian companies will feel some pressure over.

IBM Lays Out Plans to Hire 25,000 in U.S. Ahead of Trump Meeting

https://www.bloomber...f-trump-meeting

IBM Chief Executive Officer Ginni Rometty said she plans to hire about 25,000 people in the U.S. and invest $1 billion over the next four years, laying out her vision for filling technology jobs in America on the eve of a meeting of industry leaders with President-elect Donald Trump.

Rometty, who is on Trump’s advisory panel of business leaders, will join Facebook Inc.’s Sheryl Sandberg, Amazon.com Inc.’s Jeff Bezos and Alphabet Inc.’s Larry Page and Eric Schmidt at a summit with Trump Wednesday in New York that is said to focus on jobs.

During the run-up to the election, Trump made employment issues a mainstay of his campaign, promising to scrap trade deals he viewed as draining jobs from the country and impose tariffs on imports if necessary. He has since claimed credit for preventing thousands of manufacturing jobs from moving overseas and used state incentives to strike a deal with Carrier, a unit of United Technologies Corp., to pull back on its plans to move some operations to Mexico.

IBM has been honing its vision for training for months and it’s unrelated to the election or the meeting Wednesday, the company said. Armonk, New York-based International Business Machines Corp. has been working on hiring for and preparing its employees in skills required to adapt to the newer areas of its business, such as cloud computing, cybersecurity and artificial intelligence. For example, about a third of its workforce will have learned by the end of this year design thinking, a problem-solving method favored by many tech startups. [Full article]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Bingo

Bingo
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:54 PM

This discussion is not for the purposes of a pro-Trump or anti-Trump debate. 

Sort of like the pro refurbishment vs replacement of the blue bridge, we still aren't sure what we're gonna get. 

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance" - Socrates

#4 spanky123

spanky123
  • 6,633 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:15 PM

Interesting that Zuckerburg snubbed Trump. Sandberg isn't the CEO, she runs operations for Facebook.

#5 RFS

RFS
  • 867 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:00 PM

zuckerburg was very invested in trump losing. don't you remember the scandal a while back of facebook's trending news feature burying conservative stories and making it look like iberal stories were organically trending?

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 34,560 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:53 AM

He did just announce that he's going into politics. Strange.

The concerns for tech companies are two-fold: relations with China (their land of opportunity) and what hasn't been mentioned much, the fear of tightened fair use policies. As we well know Facebook doesn't pay for copyrighted content appearing on its platforms, it profits from it. Imagine if they had to pay a royalty for that content? Big game changer.

And another interesting thing is Twitter was not invited to the meeting because it's "too small," or in other words, Trump's team wants nothing to do with an organization that attempted to thwart the advertising campaign it paid for on the platform by banning the #crookedHillary hash tag. Sorry Twitter (look, that only took 12 characters!).

Know it all.

#7 Bingo

Bingo
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:15 AM

Blunt warnings from German officials

In a detailed report released in April, the European Council on Foreign Relations bluntly warned that Moscow's different intelligence services "conduct active measures aimed at subverting and destabilizing European governments … and attacks on political enemies."

The goal appears to be to weaken politicians Moscow does not like in a bid to end sanctions, sow discord throughout NATO and the EU, to increase distrust of liberal democracies generally and to challenge U.S. influence on the continent.

The head of Germany's domestic intelligence service (BfV), Hans-Georg Maassen, insists Russia has been actively cyber-targeting German infrastructure and institutions for at least eight years and "have shown a willingness to carry out sabotage."

He has said that the Russian group that hacked the files of the U.S. Democrats were also responsible for stealing classified material from Germany's Parliament in 2015.

But German Chancellor Angela Merkel, running for a fourth term next year, has complained several times of Russian smear and misinformation campaigns. She expects more next year.

It's not all hacking. The Russian media and their friends in social media have kept up a barrage of anti-Merkel propaganda, which has only risen since she supported sanctions against the Kremlin. The attacks include fake news stories often highlighting right-wing political accusations that she has opened up Germany to a flood of migrants and terror attacks.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...n-hack-1.389661

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance" - Socrates

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 34,560 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:04 AM

Merkel is unpopular over the immigration issue in Germany so of course she needs to identify some other reason for her waning support. I mean the Germans are alleging the Russians have been meddling in their affairs for 8(!) years and only NOW on the eve of an election this is an issue? Weird.

Know it all.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 34,560 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:41 AM

The Chinese navy visit to Victoria is, according to a Vancouver-area Sino-relations expert, a little bit of a show of force following Trump's election win. The optics are intended to show America that they're not the only muscle on the block.

The visit has been described as "peculiar."

Know it all.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 42,882 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:46 AM

The Chinese navy visit to Victoria is, according to a Vancouver-area Sino-relations expert, a little bit of a show of force following Trump's election win. The optics are intended to show America that they're not the only muscle on the block.

The visit has been described as "peculiar."

Link?

CHEK says it's wonderful.   As does our local expert:

“It’s natural for their defence force if there is a bilateral relationship to visit, to conduct some exercises and to show that they’re supportive of each other” explained Dr. Kenneth Christie, who is head of the Human Security and Peace Building Program at Royal Roads University.

“The most important thing is that Asia Pacific is a huge area and Canada’s got a fairly small navy. China’s increasing the size of it’s navy all the time, so to have that type of cooperation from such a major superpower in the region would be quite important to Canada.” 

http://www.cheknews....nations-245278/

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 34,560 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:49 AM

Oops, that was stated on CFAX.

Anyone even remotely aware of what's happening would not call it "wonderful." Looks like we've got some Fake News going around.

Know it all.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 42,882 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:51 AM

CFAX says it was a "red carpet" welcoming occasion.

http://www.iheartrad...-navy-1.2279374

#13 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:03 AM

Oops, that was stated on CFAX.

Anyone even remotely aware of what's happening would not call it "wonderful." Looks like we've got some Fake News going around.

Fake News is not a synonym for news you don't agree with.   

• Rob Randall, rjag, http and 1 other like this

#14 nerka

nerka
  • 431 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:17 AM

I'm no fan of the Chinese government, but ceremonial visits beat shooting wars.

• VicHockeyFan, Rob Randall, rjag and 1 other like this

#15 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:29 AM

I'm no fan of the Chinese government, but ceremonial visits beat shooting wars.

Definitely.  Who's going on the tour of the ships?

Edited by LeoVictoria, 16 December 2016 - 09:29 AM.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 34,560 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:39 AM

CFAX says it was a "red carpet" welcoming occasion.

http://www.iheartrad...-navy-1.2279374

Oh, I'm sure it's all going to look very fancy and everyone will be very cordial.

I was referring to on-air statements by someone they called for an opinion, not an article.

Know it all.

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 34,560 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:42 AM

Fake News is not a synonym for news you don't agree with.

An opinion is one thing, fact is another.

If you knew why the Thursday event was cancelled and the Sunday event was pushed to Saturday you would understand why the visit is not quite as rosy as the MSM is making it out to be.

Know it all.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 42,882 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:45 AM

Does anyone know if the officers or others aboard the ships will come into town?  I did not see any last night, but I was not right downtown.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 34,560 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:47 AM

That's a good question. I haven't seen any yet.

Know it all.

#20 SimonH

SimonH
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:42 PM

Does anyone know if the officers or others aboard the ships will come into town?  I did not see any last night, but I was not right downtown.

That's a good question. I haven't seen any yet.

How would you recognize them ?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users