• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:20 PM

Ontario-firm-snatches-up-downtown-Victoria-retail-hub-harris-green-village.jpg

Harris Green Village, a four-acre retail centre in the heart of downtown Victoria's Harris Green neighbourhood, has been purchased by an Ontario-based company.

Ontario firm snatches up downtown Victoria retail hub

http://victoria.citi...ria-retail-hub/

A downtown Victoria retail landmark has been sold to a Toronto-based firm, Citified has learned.

Harris Green Village – situated on nearly four-acres of land along the 900-blocks of Yates and View streets between Quadra and Vancouver streets – is home to retailers such as London Drugs, The Market on Yates, Bosley’s, Bin 4 Burger Lounge, and COBS Bread Bakery.

However, downtown residents and shoppers needn’t worry about their favourite retailers disappearing or closing for a redevelopment effort any time soon, according to one of the commercial real-estate agents who brokered the deal, CBRE Victoria’s Ross Marshall.

“Some of the high-profile tenants at Harris Green Village have lease terms well in excess of a decade, so realistically the new owners will not be engaging in any redevelopment activities for some time to come,” Marshall said. [Full article]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:59 PM

I still wonder if the Market on Yates is planning a move to the new St. Andrew's project (although  "The Market on Pandora" - MOP - is a terrible name), thus freeing up the oldest and most "re-developable" piece of Harris Green sooner than 10 years off.

#3 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:49 PM

I still wonder if the Market on Yates is planning a move to the new St. Andrew's project (although  "The Market on Pandora" - MOP - is a terrible name), thus freeing up the oldest and most "re-developable" piece of Harris Green sooner than 10 years off.

1. No way they are considering it because they just did a complete excavation of their parking lot to remove contamination.
  2. Yes, they must be considering it because they just did a complete excavation of their parking lot to remove contamination.

Take your pick.

• Nparker and Dr. Barillas like this

#4 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:15 PM

Who owns the land isnt important to most of us but it will be very interesting to see what comes of it down the road. Its a real prime site so I pretty sure it will be redeveloped to its full potential. I wonder what the purchase price was.

#5 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:32 PM

1. No way they are considering it because they just did a complete excavation of their parking lot to remove contamination.
  2. Yes, they must be considering it because they just did a complete excavation of their parking lot to remove contamination.

Take your pick.

The seller is responsible for removal of old buried oil tanks even if they were empty and filled with sand, as that practice is no longer acceptable.

#6 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:47 PM

The seller is responsible for removal of old buried oil tanks even if they were empty and filled with sand, as that practice is no longer acceptable.

Right, so it was a condition of sale, otherwise why bother, just let sleeping dogs (or tanks) lie.

Huge mix of buildings on that lot.  the Market must be at least 50 years old. The London Drugs complex is around 1980 and the apartment extension is circa 1995. I think it was mentioned earlier the Quadra buildings which are very old are not included in the sale.

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:17 PM

Although, the Rathskeller sale is rather peculiar timing wise. Since the sale hasn't closed yet no details have been revealed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:49 PM

Right, so it was a condition of sale, otherwise why bother, just let sleeping dogs (or tanks) lie.

Huge mix of buildings on that lot.  the Market must be at least 50 years old. The London Drugs complex is around 1980 and the apartment extension is circa 1995. I think it was mentioned earlier the Quadra buildings which are very old are not included in the sale.

Fleming-Review Printing was still in that block in1972, next to where the Market is now. 

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 01:48 PM

Hang on to your hats...

Know it all.

#10 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 01:57 PM

Tease

• DavidSchell likes this

#11 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 03:21 PM

Great, another unfounded rumor mined from the depths of Mike K.'s vivid imagination. Can't wait.

#12 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 03:22 PM

No offense.

#13 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 03:24 PM

Hang on to your hats...

In this hat-obsessed era? You'd be crazy not to be hanging on to your hat at all times. My hat has never come anywhere near my head because I'm always hanging on to it. With both hands.

• Mike K. likes this

#14 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 04:27 PM

Especially since I spoke with the building maintenance guy last week, and surprise.. they have no immediate plans to change the current situation.

London Drugs just remodeled their cosmetics section and but a new secured records/ pharmaceutical room in the pharmacy.
  • Mike K. likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#15 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:50 AM

That doesn't mean that the remodel couldn't be done in stages with LD being last.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#16 aastra

aastra
  • 20,734 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:16 AM

I heard there's a new hat shop opening up.

• Nparker likes this

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:20 AM

Article: https://victoria.cit...-redevelopment/

New discussion thread: https://vibrantvicto...d-use-proposed/

Know it all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users