Ironworks
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 515 Chatham Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Ironworks is a mixed-use two-building, five-storey condominium and ground floor commercial development in down... (view full profile)
Learn more about Ironworks on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The IronWorks | Condos; retail | 5 & 5-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
641 replies to this topic

#101 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:46 PM

Yep, not minimal enough. So go one way or the other. I say go the other way and have less. No juliets with larger windows with sheet iron overhangs. One concrete feature near the entry to the courtyard. Maybe a couple interesting breaks in the iron surface.

#102 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:46 PM

Every development should keep things forging ahead. You don't want the engine to lose its momentum. You don't want the train to go off the tracks.*

*iron references

That much iron is bound to shift the magnetic north pole a few degrees.

#103 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:31 AM

A legitimate letter from today's T-C.

It’s time for city council and the mayor to stop this runaway development in Victoria. Traffic on Victoria streets has nearly reached saturation point, and gridlock is on the horizon. Now another 170 parking spots are projected for this one project alone...

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.eRWscIhj.dpuf

How dare there be places for people to live where there were once vibrant parking spots.

• JanionGuy, johnk, grantpalin and 1 other like this

#104 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:10 AM

They unpaved paradise and put up a housing development? Just doesn't have the same ring to it.

• Nparker, JanionGuy, johnk and 1 other like this

#105 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:51 AM

It is literally impossible for development in Victoria to be runaway with all of the zoning restrictions, official community plans and multitude of hoops one has to jump through to improve one's own property.
  • Nparker likes this

#106 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:54 PM

The only runaway developments I see in the CoV are pot shops. They seem to be unstoppable.

• aastra and jonny like this

#107 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:04 AM

How dare there be places for people to live where there were once vibrant parking spots.

I'll never understand this blind spot that some people have re: parking lots. Parking lots are all about traffic and cars coming and going. But if you develop a parking lot suddenly traffic becomes a concern where it was never a concern before. And of all the parking lots to defend, this one seems like a supremely odd choice. It's not even an attractive parking lot.*

*source: Victoria's 100 Most Charming Parking Lots - 5th edition

• Nparker, Bingo and jonny like this

#108 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:40 AM

Well aastra, let's not pretend that this 100% stock anti-development complaint was put together with any thought or analysis. Today's letter will probably read something like "who would even want to live in a tiny shoebox among all those squawking, pooping sea gulls. Obviously nobody would as demonstrated by the dozens of sold out buildings, which is why this shouldn't be built."

The whole pretense that traffic on Victoria streets has reached a saturation point is ridiculous. The streets around Capital Iron are some of the quietest downtown. The only consistently "saturated" streets in the City of Victoria are Douglas, Wharf and perhaps Bay.

• Nparker likes this

#109 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:42 AM

...The only consistently "saturated" streets in the City of Victoria are Douglas, Wharf and perhaps Bay.

And then only really during certain times of the day. After 6:00 PM on almost any given day Douglas street is pretty quiet, especially right downtown.

#110 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:51 AM

Traffic is getting worse and worse. Faster than population growth. I've lived here since 79 and have lived through it.... Less surface parking lots downtown might actually help :-) It's like plastic bags. They need to not be available. After buying reusable bags each time, you will eventually remember to bring your bags. No parking downtown? You take your bike....  :banana:

This is my secret parking lot by the way. It's a shame to see this gravely pond filled scummy cheap lot gone.... 

• Baro likes this

#111 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:58 AM

A legitimate letter from today's T-C.

Careful now. You sound like you're on some type of bike lobby.

#112 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:28 PM

The most recent plans are up on the Development Tracker. Looks like it's mostly tiny one bedrooms (like studios, but if you put a wall around your bed). A few studios with murphy beds in the living room. There are a few cute two-floor one bedroom + dens in buildings C and E. Maybe I'll win the lottery before phase 2. Then again, it looks like there are no bathtubs, only showers. If I win the lottery, I'm getting a place with a bathtub.

• Nparker likes this

#113 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:47 AM

Looks like the sales office will be on Fisgard in Chinatown.

IMG_20170529_124411.jpg
  • jonny likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#114 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:54 AM

I'll be very interested to see how this unfolds. The downtown is moving farther north.

• jonny likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#115 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:12 PM

I'll be very interested to see how this unfolds. The downtown is moving farther north.

And perhaps it's moving east as well with new projects like The Wade & Black and White.

• Hotel Mike likes this

#116 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:36 AM

The website for Ironworks is now up and running: http://www.ironworksliving.com/

New renderings for the project are on the website as well:

IW1.jpg

iw2.jpg

iw3.jpg

#117 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:37 AM

Those images are the same ones that we saw before.

#118 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:39 AM

My bad... I didn't look far enough back in the thread.

#119 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:04 AM

First (top) rendering looks like a county jail, aka The Crowbar Hotel

#120 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:55 PM

I like the power poles with no ugly wires running between them.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users