Ironworks
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 515 Chatham Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Ironworks is a mixed-use two-building, five-storey condominium and ground floor commercial development in down... (view full profile)
Learn more about Ironworks on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The IronWorks | Condos; retail | 5 & 5-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
641 replies to this topic

#141 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:18 PM

The corten material I saw on a few buildings in New York looked a lot more like a paint then simply a rust on metal. I expect it will be a lot less messy than the 800 at the Yates.
  • jonny likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#142 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:23 PM

Actually corten is not rusting it is weathering. It is a corrosion resistant steel alloy.

• jonny likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#143 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:04 PM

Me Like:

The fact this *long* neglected part of town is finally at long last seeing some love and attention; hoping this is just the start....

The fact yet another of downtown's apparently endless supply of dreary, soul sucking parking lots will bite the dust...

The fact its a LeFevre project; in general I think he does really good and interesting work.

Me No Like:

The proposed (even revised already) design: Ugh! "Blech" x1000!! Baaaaad Chris LeFevre. Please try again....

• Nparker likes this

#144 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:11 AM

Actually corten is not rusting it is weathering. It is a corrosion resistant steel alloy.

I'm not so sure about that.  It's rust.  Rust is corrosion/weathering.  And in this case though, the rust is a sacrificial protective coating.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#145 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:30 AM

I'm not so sure about that.  It's rust.  Rust is corrosion/weathering.  And in this case though, the rust is a sacrificial protective coating.

The new bridge looks like that already. I prefer the pack rust appearance that gives steel more character.

#146 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:53 PM

from wiki

Weathering steel, often referred to by the genericized trademark COR-TEN steel and sometimes written without the hyphen as corten steel, is a group of steel alloys which were developed to eliminate the need for painting, and form a stable rust-like appearance if exposed to the weather for several years

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#147 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:02 PM

from wiki

Weathering steel, often referred to by the genericized trademark COR-TEN steel and sometimes written without the hyphen as corten steel, is a group of steel alloys which were developed to eliminate the need for painting, and form a stable rust-like appearance if exposed to the weather for several years

It's not "rust-like"   It's rust.  From the very same article you quote:

In other words, the steel is allowed to rust in order to form the protective coating.

Rust is an excellent protective coating.  Consider an old auto wreck in a junk yard.  The steel roof of the car is rusted, but not perforated.  But you need to rely on other factors.  #1, you need the water to drain off.  #2, you can't have other harsh, damaging influences, like rocks being spit up onto the surface, like you get with car fenders and wheel wells.

ClassicSecrets03.jpg

That's why steel roofing is so long-lasting.  It generally only fails at seams (standing water, motion) and at fasteners (motion, movement from expansion/contraction), where other forces than weather are at work.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 08 July 2017 - 07:11 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#148 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:57 PM

The E&N railway bridge over the Island Highway.

Never been painted except to cover the graffiti.

20170708_224433.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#149 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:35 AM

go climb up and look at the inside of it the place has more graffiti than anywhere else in Victoria

#150 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:31 AM

Does anyone know when this project will get underway (excavation and construction)?

#151 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

Does anyone know when this project will get underway (excavation and construction)?

They are doing the DP right now. They went to ADP in July, no Council date set for this application https://tender.victo...Number=DPV00034

#152 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:37 AM

This is the sort of thing that I mean when I talk about breaking up the long side.

Looks like you got your wish, sort of. The updated render shows some slight articulation on the Chatham Street frontage. Not much, but it's there!

Capture.PNG

• Nparker and jonny like this

#153 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:38 AM

That is much, much better!

#154 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:50 AM

An interesting note from the DP plans: the larger building on Chatham Street will be built in two distinct phases. Looks like everything up until that notch in the centre will be built first, then the remaining east section (i.e. left side of the drawing) will be built after. Not sure why you would need to phase development on a project of this size, and why you would opt to do the larger building in separate phases, rather than the two smaller buildings.  :confused:

Edited by Jackerbie, 15 August 2017 - 10:50 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#155 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:02 AM

There's also a bit of variation on the ground floor now (maybe there was always going to be, but the previous rendering seemed to show it the same from one end to the other).

Do we know what that texture would be on the grey surfaces?

#156 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:03 AM

They hope to start work this fall.
  • Kapten Kapsell likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#157 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:04 AM

Looks like you got your wish, sort of.

Story of my life.

• Nparker and Jackerbie like this

#158 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:06 AM

An interesting note from the DP plans: the larger building on Chatham Street will be built in two distinct phases. Looks like everything up until that notch in the centre will be built first, then the remaining east section (i.e. left side of the drawing) will be built after. Not sure why you would need to phase development on a project of this size, and why you would opt to do the larger building in separate phases, rather than the two smaller buildings.  :confused:

LeFevre will be damned if he finishes a project within one phase. Everything must be phased to death.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#159 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:15 AM

There's also a bit of variation on the ground floor now (maybe there was always going to be, but the previous rendering seemed to show it the same from one end to the other).

Do we know what that texture would be on the grey surfaces?

The windows on the ground floor were indeed changed. Those are the live-work units, and they are quite disappointing on the inside imho. They look great from the street, but they are quite literally a 554 sq ft one bedroom unit that you can run a business out of. Your kitchen/living room/business is all the same room, with floor to ceiling windows at grade. My bet is that those will have curtains drawn 100% of the time.

EDIT: Four of the live-work units have been converted to commercial units. They are in Phase 1 (the west half) of the building. Five live-work units will be as described above, but in Phase 2 only.

The grey surfaces are oko skin cladding arranged vertically.

Edited by Jackerbie, 15 August 2017 - 11:21 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#160 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:29 PM

Looks like you got your wish, sort of. The updated render shows some slight articulation on the Chatham Street frontage. Not much, but it's there

Another developer must read VV.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users