• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:49 AM

http://www.theprovin...0304/story.html

The images will be sent out to selected homeowners sometime in the spring, Pander said.

Privacy laws prevent the information from being used by the city for any other purpose and no one else will have access to it, Pander said. Still, any homeowner in the selected neighbourhoods can opt out by emailing thermal.imaging@vancouver.ca.

More information about the pilot program, including the dates, times and locations of drop-in information sessions are available at vancouver.ca/thermalimage

/ end article

I'm inclined to say "government, beat it."  It's my home, don't be spying on it.  How about "opt-in" rather than opt out?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:02 AM

You opined in the quote.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:07 AM

You opined in the quote.

I know, editing error.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:11 AM

I think it's better as opt out.  A lot of people won't have an issue with it but they just won't know or take part by default.  What opt out allows is for a situation where neighbour A lets you know that your heat map is showing an issue at a certain spot on your house, thereby allowing you to fix it when you would otherwise be ignorant to the problem.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:15 AM

I think it's better as opt out.  A lot of people won't have an issue with it but they just won't know or take part by default.  What opt out allows is for a situation where neighbour A lets you know that your heat map is showing an issue at a certain spot on your house, thereby allowing you to fix it when you would otherwise be ignorant to the problem.

I'm not making a huge deal of it.  The program is pretty sound.  But why should taxpayers fund it?  Every insulation/window company has a heat-gun now, and they will come do a free estimate.  And cponsumers can see, or ought to be able to see from their energy bills what poor insulation is costing them.  Then again, maybe that is expecting too much from consumer.  See the "free salt" hysteria.

#6 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:58 AM

Seems like chump change to the City of Vancouver and if they did it here I'd love to see mine.  I think I'm doing pretty good but it would be nice to have a double check without leading on a private business I wouldn't actually be patronizing.

#7 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:13 AM

The pilot project will cost the city $100,000, or slightly more than $6 per home. There is no cost to the homeowner.

These statements drive me nuts.  City staff are running this program and it costs $6 per home.  Homeowners have provided those $6 through their taxes....so it does cost the homeowner.  If the city staff don't have anything better to do, they should no longer be working for the city.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:14 AM

Seems like chump change to the City of Vancouver and if they did it here I'd love to see mine.  I think I'm doing pretty good but it would be nice to have a double check without leading on a private business I wouldn't actually be patronizing.

Maybe PM HB, he probably has the heat-gun.

#9 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:01 AM

I'm curious how privacy laws have any relevance to the city's use of the images? No personal information is contained in such images as far as I can see.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#10 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:03 AM

Probably a cover for looking for grow-ops. 

How does energy efficiency for homeowners benefit the city?

• GaryRanson likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:09 AM

Doesn't the city want to be gas free or something or other by 2020?

#12 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:10 AM

It certainly supports their goals, but probably more importantly it benefits participating homeowners.

#13 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:10 AM

Doesn't the city want to be gas free or something or other by 2020?

2050 but it's not 100% gas free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users