[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6319 replies to this topic

#1701 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,470 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:56 AM

Let's not forget a crossing from N Saanich to Mill Bay. That too would eradicate the need for a ferry route.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1702 patrick venton

patrick venton
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:32 AM

If the Province is serious about long term infrastructure planning in the south islands, bridges need to be the next logical step. Gabriola to Nanaimo, Salt Spring to Vancouver Island and Saturna to Mayne Islands would be three relatively easy bridges I would think.

The province is not serious about transportation , they are just playing with the same old songs.  Thats what happens when you out source . Welcome to the now.  The only course is to hold their feet to the fire.  There are no Pat McGeers around the tables of government , no visionaries.

#1703 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:20 PM

There is an interesting TV program onb right now 10pm till 11pm on TVO I have shaw direct and it is on ch 539

The show is about Super Ferries

#1704 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:08 PM

^ Was that about the Hawaiian Super ferry by National Geographic?

#1705 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:50 AM

Let's not forget a crossing from N Saanich to Mill Bay. That too would eradicate the need for a ferry route.

And would likely eliminate a lot of traffice from the Malahat. Forget adding more improvements, build a bridge and divert a lot of the traffic instead... Doing so may also allow for closure of one of the Nanaimo terminals, as Duncan folks could get to Swartz bay faster.

Seriously, the Mill bay/Brentwood ferry is ridiculous. I considered taking it once when planning to go to Nanaimo, but one look at the costs, and it's a big fuggetaboudit...

• tedward and bluefox like this

#1706 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:15 AM

The Saanich Inlet bridge made so much sense it is too bad that rich NIMBYs killed it.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1707 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,470 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:22 AM

I'm sure it will remain on the backburner for another decade or so and eventually be proposed as a viable/necessary idea. Theoretically a floating bridge could be built there as there isn't much need for large vessels to enter the inlet other than Coast Guard vessels stations at YYJ. It can be similar in design to the I-90 bridge in Seattle.

• bluefox likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1708 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

I'm sure it will remain on the backburner for another decade or so and eventually be proposed as a viable/necessary idea. Theoretically a floating bridge could be built there as there isn't much need for large vessels to enter the inlet other than Coast Guard vessels stations at YYJ. It can be similar in design to the I-90 bridge in Seattle.

With overhead drones set to deliver our groceries etc., we won't need to move around as much in 2025 as we do now.  No need for more roads.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1709 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:08 PM

A bridge could go south of the coast guard base. Say from Bamberton/Mill Bay to Mount Newton X Road.

#1710 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,470 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:33 PM

Yup, there are a lot of viable locations and a bridge across the inlet is a question of when not if.

Know it all.

#1711 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:42 PM

With overhead drones set to deliver our groceries etc., we won't need to move around as much in 2025 as we do now.  No need for more roads.

Not until there is a drone that can deliver me with my car to the mainland...

#1712 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:02 PM

A bridge like that would increase the use of the YYJ Airport and the Swartz Bay ferry terminal.   Not only would BC Ferries save money from getting rid of a money losing route, their most profitable route would have more traffic.  It would also make a reasonable case for cancelling the Crofton to Saltspring ferry route. 

The Saanich Inlet bridge made so much sense it is too bad that rich NIMBYs killed it.

• tedward likes this

#1713 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:12 PM

Not until there is a drone that can deliver me with my car to the mainland...

Some people already have partners like that. 

• Mike K. likes this

#1714 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:13 AM

A bridge like that would increase the use of the YYJ Airport and the Swartz Bay ferry terminal.   Not only would BC Ferries save money from getting rid of a money losing route, their most profitable route would have more traffic.  It would also make a reasonable case for cancelling the Crofton to Saltspring ferry route. 

Plus it would reduce any requirement to upgrade the Malahat in the immediate future as most traffic would take the 'new' route. As you noted, this could easily funnel more traffic to YYJ and Swartz Bay, and I bet you could make an easier case for closing the Duke Point ferry terminal as a result. The Pat Bay would likely need significant upgrading.

#1715 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:09 AM

My understanding is that the Duke Pt. terminal was built to get heavy truck traffic out of inner city Nanaimo, which was happening when the Departure Bay terminal was the only option. So I don't understand why it would be suggested to close the Duke Pt. terminal. Surely the traffic problem would only be worse today?

#1716 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,470 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:17 AM

Duke Point is a fairly substantial facility that has ample room to expand. Departure Bay should be closed and a more formidable facility built at Duke Point, IMO.

• Nparker and Bernard like this

Know it all.

#1717 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:40 AM

My understanding is that the Duke Pt. terminal was built to get heavy truck traffic out of inner city Nanaimo, which was happening when the Departure Bay terminal was the only option. So I don't understand why it would be suggested to close the Duke Pt. terminal. Surely the traffic problem would only be worse today?

My thinking is you could move more truck traffic through Swartz Bay since access to the rest of the island would be greatly improved with a Malahat-less route.

• tedward likes this

#1718 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:45 AM

Sure, though my comment is more towards the recent suggestion to close the terminal, without any new super bridge being built

#1719 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:42 PM

Sure, though my comment is more towards the recent suggestion to close the terminal, without any new super bridge being built

Understood...I will mention that Duke Point was closed for over a month this past year and by all accounts Departure Bay handled the traffic quite well.

I would be all for Nanaimo having one terminal. It would be easy to run the Gabriola ferry from Duke Point. Quite silly really when 100k population Nanaimo has three terminals and 400k population Victoria has one (Brentwood Bay doesn't count!).

#1720 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:52 PM

I would be all for Nanaimo having one terminal. It would be easy to run the Gabriola ferry from Duke Point. Quite silly really when 100k population Nanaimo has three terminals and 400k population Victoria has one (Brentwood Bay doesn't count!).

I agree, but really Nanaimo serves the population north of the Malahat that wants to go to the Mainland, and that's 350,000. 

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users