6304 replies to this topic

#3321 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:59 AM

Buy a BC Ferries vessel for less than a Vancouver condo

52-year-old Queen of Burnaby up for auction, bidding opens at $400K

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3322 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:46 AM

image.png

It never occurred to me there was a full workshop on a ferry.

#3323 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:05 AM

All large ships have this.

The one pictured is under the lower car deck.

Marine Engineers,oilers and others work constantly in engine rooms.

They do repairs on the fly and while in port.

These engine rooms are not seen but they are there.

When the Spirit Classes began service they did tours in the engine rooms

Edited by HB, 13 February 2017 - 09:08 AM.

#3324 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:19 AM

I think we can also agree that the Salish class vessels will carry 20 fewer cars/trip than the ferries they are replacing.

Well, two Salish vessels are replacing the Queen of Nanaimo and the Bowen Queen on the Gulf Islands summer service. They are larger than the Bowen Queen and smaller than the Queen of Nanaimo.

Edited by jonny, 13 February 2017 - 09:38 AM.

#3325 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:08 AM

Well, two Salish vessels are replacing the Queen of Nanaimo and the Bowen Queen on the Gulf Islands summer service. They are larger than the Bowen Queen and smaller than the Queen of Nanaimo.

The Orca is replacing the Burnaby. The Burnaby, as a function of car deck space, is the lowest utilized vessel in the fleet (and just for random trivia time also the only cafeteria in the fleet that doesn't make back its operating costs if you account for crew costs - of course the crew need to be there anyways). I cannot remember the exact number but the Burnaby left sailing waits something like thirty times all year in 2015 - the Orca shouldn't lead to a dramatic change to that number.

The Eagle and the Raven are replacing the Nanaimo as outlined above.

Also important to consider is that the new ships are open car decks with minimal impediment. There will be a reduction of car capacity. No doubt about it. But it won't be as significant as it reads on paper because as anyone familiar with the Nanaimo and Buanby knows there's large parts of those car decks which are unusable for contemporary vehicles.

What may be an issue, particularly in the Southern Gulf Islands, is the profound drop in passenger space. The Nanaimo and Burnaby are grossly overbuilt for passengers (harking back to when there were multiple restaurant options) and now these new ships are essentially the opposite end of the spectrum. That said the Cowichan and Coquitlam do okay - to add to the day's random trivia those two were actually designed to run from Richmond to Gabriola which in the mid-1970s was a very serious project; that in turn led to a very minimalistic passenger deck as crossing time would have been 40 minutes as opposed to the 100 minutes for Route 2 that the Cowichan operates on almost all year.

The Salish class are essentially an off-the-shelf European design. It may not be too attractive to some, but there was a several million dollar economy in not redesigning the wheel as was (poorly) done with the locally built Island Sky.

Edited by 57WestHills, 13 February 2017 - 11:14 AM.

• thundergun and shoeflack like this

#3326 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,879 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:09 PM

Skeena has no doors and is not scheduled for replacement any time soon.

Matt.

#3327 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:31 PM

The doors are for open water sailings. For example the Bowen cannot do its summer route (Southern Gulf Islands) in the winter because of its classification. It's actually less about the door and more about other things, but nonetheless the Burnaby replacement also needed to be fairly substantial. These will be arguably the most capable ferries in the system in terms of deployment - go anywhere do anything.

#3328 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:55 PM

I think $400,000 for the Queen of Burnaby is a bargain.

The thing is she is too big for the shorter routes, so a modification to decrease vehicle capacity is the way to go.  Slice the ship in sections vertically across the beam and remove the 84-foot (26 m) midsection.

Then cut horizontally from bow to stern and remove one of the vehicle decks. We should be able to get another 50 years out of her in that configuration.

Finally, change the name as no ships should be named after the Queen of Burnaby.

#3329 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:42 PM

She has a bent propeller shaft, the engines are running on good wishes & hope, the hull would never receive certification after major modifications and there's enclosed space aspestos.

If you think that's a good deal I have an amazing rock to sell you ;)

#3330 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:50 PM

Sail it into Brentwood bay and make a lovely liveaboard.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3331 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:22 PM

or a floating homeless shelter tied up in the Upper Harbour near the trestle

#3332 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:29 PM

The Queen of Burnaby is 52 years old, which is antique for a ship.

#3333 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:39 PM

The Queen of Burnaby is 52 years old, which is antique for a ship.

Ahhh, but young for a queen.

• jonny likes this

#3334 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:48 PM

Burnaby sold for something like $25 over asking. But in all seriousness I am amazed they got what they were looking for. Almost all BC Ferries go for way under because they're very unique and basically junk.

#3335 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:50 PM

Word is it may have been bid on at $425k.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3336 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:32 PM

She has a bent propeller shaft, the engines are running on good wishes & hope, the hull would never receive certification after major modifications and there's enclosed space aspestos.

If you think that's a good deal I have an amazing rock to sell you ;)

Hey 57WH just curious how she managed to bend an 11" shaft, which would be difficult to do. Did Burnaby run aground somewhere or hit a dead-head?

#3337 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:32 AM

I'm not too sure. I'll ask though. That's why she has been removed from service unexpectedly so many times, including last week, in the previous eighteen months or so. Our obsession with keeping old ferries in BC can be quite costly.

#3338 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:10 AM

And yet the NDP's loyalists in the media world are lobbing dung at BC Ferries for daring to sell it for scrap value.

What do these guys expect? That we use ferries until they sink? I'm so tired of the polarized media in this province.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3339 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:30 AM

But... but.. look at the Coho! It still runs! We don't need no cruise liners in the fleet!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3340 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:12 AM

I think we already determined the Coho runs far less hours per year than the old BCF ships.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users