[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6319 replies to this topic

#3401 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:00 AM

Will part of Vancouver Island "break off and sink," or "split in two at Alberni Inlet?" No. In a big earthquake the seafloor offshore from Vancouver Island will be uplifted and the area along the coast will sink, but at worst that sinking will only be a few meters. 

Dr. Gerard Fryer 
Hawaii Inst. of Geophysics & Planetology 
University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI 96822

https://www.soest.ha.../vancouver.html

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3402 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:16 AM

I was just going to say, is that even news? Odd.

It's also just one dude's opinion. What a dumb article. Might as well write one about how RJH would be non operational if it burnt down.

Swartz Bay may be destroyed under certain scenarios, but what about Duke Point or Departure Bay?

Under a 9.0 earthquake catastrophe scenario they'll figure out ways to get water, food and medical supplies over. I don't think most people will be too concerned about their vacation or weekend plans to cross the water. The armed forces would be full out 24/7. The ferries could dock at Ogden Point, EGD, Sidney, etc. Barges and tugs would be taken over by the military if need be. Most of our goods are brought over by Seaspan, anyway.

Edited by jonny, 18 March 2017 - 11:18 AM.

• Nparker, grantpalin and 57WestHills like this

#3403 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:08 PM

It's also just one dude's opinion. What a dumb article. Might as well write one about how RJH would be non operational if it burnt down.

Swartz Bay may be destroyed under certain scenarios, but what about Duke Point or Departure Bay?

Under a 9.0 earthquake catastrophe scenario they'll figure out ways to get water, food and medical supplies over. I don't think most people will be too concerned about their vacation or weekend plans to cross the water. The armed forces would be full out 24/7. The ferries could dock at Ogden Point, EGD, Sidney, etc. Barges and tugs would be taken over by the military if need be. Most of our goods are brought over by Seaspan, anyway.

That's an awful lot of confidence placed in 'the system'.  

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#3404 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:15 PM

I don't think there is any system that can be planned for.  If Vancouver gets it worse than us, that's a lot of work required there.  But as I said, it's not like we die if we can not eat for 5 days.  Or 15 days even.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3405 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:11 PM

That's an awful lot of confidence placed in 'the system'.

Canadians, for the most part, are good people who help one another. I have confidence in Canadians. No system or plan is really needed. We have a wealthy country and vast resources. Assets from across the country would be mobilized. We have very wealthy and powerful allies who would help. Companies will step up and donate resources. This ain't Venezuela. We would figure it out.

#3406 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:28 PM

I don't think even the worst-case scenario says that.

But you must admit..that would be the worst case scenario.

Imagine the surfing that could take place right on the shore of Vancouver. Nice big rollers coming in from the Pacific

#3407 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:05 PM

The population of Van Island or the Gulf Isles never really pause to think that every single item they need to live or which can be bought at a store comes to the islands by trucks

Actually some of us are acutely aware of how everything comes to our island.   We have discussed at great length what we would do in case of earthquake, fire or other kind of emergency.  We have a very strategic plan with our neighbours, where to meet, how we would get off the island if we needed to and it doesn't involve a ferry because we know that's not happening & how we would survive by ourselves for at least a week. 

How many people have a generator?  Cisterns full of water? 

*as long as our little island isn't swallowed up by the big one...

#3408 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:30 PM

Actually some of us are acutely aware of how everything comes to our island.   We have discussed at great length what we would do in case of earthquake, fire or other kind of emergency.  We have a very strategic plan with our neighbours, where to meet, how we would get off the island if we needed to and it doesn't involve a ferry because we know that's not happening & how we would survive by ourselves for at least a week. 

How many people have a generator?  Cisterns full of water? 

*as long as our little island isn't swallowed up by the big one...

You'll be a lot better off that us apartment dwellers who don't have any of that stuff. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3409 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:49 PM

You'll be a lot better off that us apartment dwellers who don't have any of that stuff. 

Cheer up. Maybe you'll die in the initial moments of the quake. That's my plan anyway.

• VicHockeyFan and sebberry like this

#3410 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:46 AM

I live in a one bedroom apartment and I have several weeks of food, water, and medical supplies set aside for an emergency. You just aren't trying hard enough! :)

#3411 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:53 AM

I live in a one bedroom apartment and I have several weeks of food, water, and medical supplies set aside for an emergency. You just aren't trying hard enough! :)

I that counting eating your pets though?

#3412 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:48 AM

Yes and your earthquake supplies will be easy to find they will all be piled up  in one place

• Nparker likes this

#3413 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:19 AM

Luckily our buildings are not built to Chinese standards.

The safest place you can be in an earthquake is a concrete high rise.
  • weirdie likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3414 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:33 AM

Alrighty, time for the Nparker seal of disapproval  :P

off-topic.jpg

• Mike K. likes this

#3415 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:26 PM

Salish Eagle (new ferry) should be here in a day or two. I'll post an ETA when I get it; so far looks like it is headed to Ogden for a couple days and then to Esquimalt to get decals applied; was too cold in Poland too do it. And ironically with our current weather it's too cold here, too.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#3416 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:58 PM

7am Monday to enter the Pacific Pilotage Authority's jurisdiction. Should dock shortly thereafter.

#3417 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:17 PM

Salish Eagle (new ferry) should be here in a day or two. I'll post an ETA when I get it; so far looks like it is headed to Ogden for a couple days and then to Esquimalt to get decals applied; was too cold in Poland too do it. And ironically with our current weather it's too cold here, too.

TC has info for you:

http://www.timescolo...nday-1.12257941

The Salish Eagle, the second of B.C. Ferries’ three new Salish Class vessels, will arrive at Victoria’s Ogden Point on Monday morning, said B.C. Ferries spokeswoman Deborah Marshall.

#3418 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:25 PM

I just checked its AIS signal and found it off the west coast of washington just now

#3419 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:01 AM

Here she is as of 7:50AM. A pilot is approaching and will guide her in to Ogden Point.

Video: https://business.fac...55085497884362/

BC-Ferries-Salish-Eagle-arrives-in-Canada-Victoria-March-20-2017.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3420 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:46 AM

It's surprising what a paint job can do for the perceived age of a vessel.

After seeing the Salish Orca docked at Tsawwassen this past weekend with full paint job, comparing that to this, this one looks about 20 years older. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users