[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6304 replies to this topic

#1861 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:37 AM

of course the union doesn't want it to happen if it will cost them union jobs... sheesh. I hope BC Ferries wins this fight.

#1862 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:46 AM

Keep in mind the displaced employees are presumably competent mariners who will easily be able to find similar positions elsewhere in BC Ferries fleet. The net effect will be the loss of a handful of jobs in a company that employs 4,000+ people.

#1863 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:52 AM

Here's one of the reasons that cost-cutting is not easy.

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz2wzRSY4aY

Sure. But getting rid of some of the 600 managers would help even more.

http://www.vancouver...html?id=9520800

#1864 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:07 PM

So.... the previous schedule has the first ferry leaving from Gabriola at 5:25am at last one leaving for Gabriola at 11:30pm.

The new schedule:

First sailing from Gabriola at 5:30am last back is 11:05pm.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1865 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:53 PM

Isn't the FREQUENCY of the trips - not the timing of them - i.e. they won't get rid of the early morning or late-at night trips - but they will get rid of some during the day?!

#1866 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:29 AM

I happen to be on a BC Ferry as I write this.  Any reason, other than "because we are a monopoly and we can do whatever we want" that BCF does not take debit card, the second-most popular retail payment type in Canada?  It's odd that they take the 3rd most popular, and the one with the highest fees to them.

• tedward likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1867 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:31 AM

Likely because the transactions take too long and would hold up the line.

They swipe all credit cards and they're approved in a second or two. This is far more efficient.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1868 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:34 AM

I might be mistaken but I think the credit cards are processed at the end of the day and not at the time of the transaction. 

But could you imagine how long the breakfast line at the cafeteria would be if everyone was paying with debit? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1869 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:37 AM

^ ^ Nope, wrong answer.  BCF can only put so many people on each boat.  If the transaction takes 35 seconds longer, it's not like people are gonna go find another means of transport, or that some people will not get on each sailing due to lines.  Every car and driver they put on via credit card costs them over $1.50 in fees.  If they took debit they would save millions of dollars per year.

#1870 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:38 AM

I might be mistaken but I think the credit cards are processed at the end of the day and not at the time of the transaction. 

But could you imagine how long the breakfast line at the cafeteria would be if everyone was paying with debit? 

99% of Canadian retailers have decided longer lines (or more cashiers) are worth the savings and convenience.  There is no good justification for why BCF should be different.  Counting, handling, reconciling and depositing cash has a cost too, much higher administration fees than taking paper transactions.  Put two cashiers at the end of the cafeteria line and her $22/hr. will be worth it.

#1871 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:18 AM

VHF, do you have any stats on the percentage of people who actually pay with debit in this country?

Although Canada is further behind some other advanced nations in terms of speed of credit card transactions (e.g. not signing for transactions under $25 or other payment systems like Square), I still prefer it to using debit. In fact, it likely has been years since I've used my debit card for anything other than taking cash out of an ABM.

I know credit cards cost more to the retailer but until they create some incentives to change things, credit cards will continue to remain the main source of payment for most transactions.

I'll also note I use cash for small transactions. Nothing worse than being the guy holding up the line for coffee to enter your PIN.

#1872 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:31 AM

I can't think of the last time I used my CC at a checkout.  Maybe last year when I had to pay for car repairs and it was over the daily allowable debit transaction.  Other than that, never.  Sadly I have the number memorized so that makes online impulse shopping much too easy for me.

But look at how many people will gladly pay with credit or cash on the boat.  I don't think the declining passenger counts has much to do with accepted payment methods.

And Americans use debit a lot less often than we do. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1873 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:15 AM

And Americans use debit a lot less often than we do. 

They didn't have debit until 10 y ago or so, and still it is rare.  They do have credit cards that link right to your bank account though, which is great.  Except BC Ferries claims they can't take those....

#1874 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:45 AM

Canada has one of if not the highest debit payment ratios in the world.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1875 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:05 AM

Canada has one of if not the highest debit payment ratios in the world.

Ya, a lot depends on the size of the transaction.  But I'd say for under $50, it's debit #1, cash #2 and credit card #3 in Canada.

#1876 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:07 AM

But look at how many people will gladly pay with credit or cash on the boat.  I don't think the declining passenger counts has much to do with accepted payment methods.

No it doesn't, but it's about serving the customer.  You know, the guys that pay an awful lot of the operating costs of BCF through our taxes.  When 99% of establishments take debit, then BCF ought to also take debit.  WSF takes debit.

#1877 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

Took the car on ferry to Tsawwassen a week ago and the fuel surcharge was $2.25, came back three days later and the surcharge was $2.75. That's high seas robbery. 

#1878 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:42 PM

Especially since BCF buys fuel in bulk and isn't impacted by week-to-week changes in fuel price, right?

Know it all.

#1879 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:49 PM

^ ^ Nope, wrong answer.  BCF can only put so many people on each boat.  If the transaction takes 35 seconds longer, it's not like people are gonna go find another means of transport, or that some people will not get on each sailing due to lines.  Every car and driver they put on via credit card costs them over $1.50 in fees.  If they took debit they would save millions of dollars per year.

And considering that the main wait is for the food preparation not paying for the food it makes no sense.

What is a problem is the erratic network connection. I think they have not done it because the network connection has not been reliable enough in the past. Last time I rode the ferry the wi-fi was spotty and dropped a couple of times. Debit machines require a reliable connection.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#1880 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:27 PM

I can't think of the last time I used my CC at a checkout.  Maybe last year when I had to pay for car repairs and it was over the daily allowable debit transaction.  Other than that, never.  Sadly I have the number memorized so that makes online impulse shopping much too easy for me.

I use my Visa card to pay at the grocery line, mostly because it is faster than the debit card.  Then when I get home I go online and transfer the money at the credit union's site.

This gives Visa the impression that I am a great credit risk and they keep offering to up my card limit. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users