[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6304 replies to this topic

#3421 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:45 PM

Service advisory for the 7pm Tsawassen to Swartz Bay sailing; the ferry will be ~ 90 minutes delayed due to a medical emergency as we found out from little miss ASE who is returning to the island tonight.

Looks like about an 8:15 departure instead - 

http://www.bcferries...tice?id=1022965

#3422 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:47 PM

At least that is what she is telling you......

• VicHockeyFan likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3423 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:55 PM

Well she's good at lots of things, but I doubt she can hack the BCF website and issue a bogus warning so I'll go with what she says; and I don't believe she has the Photoshop skills to fake the pic she texted us of the terminal and the lineup.... :)

#3424 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:58 PM

fake news

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3425 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:16 PM

Someone had a heart attack on the 5 ferry and the ship had to turn back. Apparently the non-locals on board thought it was quite the spectacle and felt it necessary to whip out their cameras and document the victim's removal to a waiting ambulance.

#3426 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:21 PM

cameras are everywhere now everything gets documented

#3427 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:33 AM

/https://gabriolafac....ife-initiative/

Province launches migratory wildlife initiative

"Shortlisted as a project “that will encourage migratory seabirds to do what comes naturally” is Transportation and Infrastructure Minister, Todd Stone’s imaginative proposal to create a migratory wildlife habitat atop BC’s iconic ferries.  Speaking today in Victoria, Stone admitted that he rarely uses ferries (except the free ones in the interior) but believed that his greatest contribution as Minister was his decision in 2013 to slash funding for coastal ferry routes, so it was only natural that he wanted reflect his own personal contrinution to coastal communities in the project.  Stone’s proposal envisages nesting habitats being created on each vessel, recreating the famous “birds nest” appearance of his own crowning glory."

Edited by GabriolaGirl, 01 April 2017 - 09:34 AM.

• 57WestHills likes this

#3428 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:22 AM

wtf? Oh I get it its Aprils Fools Day.

#3429 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:46 AM

wtf? Oh I get it, it's Aprils Fools Day.

This part sounds plausible:

...Speaking today in Victoria, Stone admitted that he rarely uses ferries (except the free ones in the interior) but believed that his greatest contribution as Minister was his decision in 2013 to slash funding for coastal ferry routes...

• GabriolaGirl likes this

#3430 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 11:01 AM

Its all a joke but not very interesting or overly funny

#3431 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:31 PM

Its all a joke but not very interesting or overly funny

oh well.... can't please everyone. *shrug*

#3432 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:19 PM

Question.  With the addition of another "northern" vessel for BC Ferries, I was wondering if there is a specific "class" of vessel named for the Northern Adventure, Northern Expedition, and potentially this new vessel.  Checking wiki fleet details returns "none" for the northern vessels.

I guess my real question is, are vessel classes arbitrary names (like "Salish" class), or is there some specific rhyme or reason to it.  Should the northern vessels have a class?  What should we rename the new vessel?

My vote is Northern Navigator or Northern Explorer for the new vessel.

Also, if we were able to name a class for the northern vessels, I guess "Northern" class would work, but how about "Great Bear" class?  Good for marketing.

#3433 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:21 PM

Hmm, Great Bear is actually pretty neat, and we can some great fun with the new vessel with a name that's in-keeping with recent headlines.

Great Bear Adventure

Great Bear Explorer

Great Bear Hunter

:)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3434 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:22 PM

Also, if we were able to name a class for the northern vessels, I guess "Northern" class would work, but how about "Great Bear" class?  Good for marketing.

I'd get away from "north" for marketing reasons.  Sounds cold.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3435 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:33 PM

I'd get away from "north" for marketing reasons.  Sounds cold.  

Sounds like "glaciers", and "remoteness", and "wild".  Good for marketing.  Great Bear is probably better, and instantly recognizable, arguably in a global context.

#3436 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:20 PM

Question. With the addition of another "northern" vessel for BC Ferries, I was wondering if there is a specific "class" of vessel named for the Northern Adventure, Northern Expedition, and potentially this new vessel. Checking wiki fleet details returns "none" for the northern vessels.

I guess my real question is, are vessel classes arbitrary names (like "Salish" class), or is there some specific rhyme or reason to it. Should the northern vessels have a class? What should we rename the new vessel?

Also, if we were able to name a class for the northern vessels, I guess "Northern" class would work, but how about "Great Bear" class? Good for marketing.

Classes for BC Ferries are based on common hull and engine type. Sometimes the passage of time makes ships of a class very different though.

There's no Northern "class" designation because the two current, and third forthcoming, ships are very different from one another.

Classes right now off the top of my head are:
Salish
Spirit
Cowichan (includes Cow, Coquitlam, Oak Bay, Surrey, Alberni)
Powell River
Capilano
Burnaby (Nanaimo, Burnaby, and once upon a time the New West)
Coastal
K
... I think that's it or close. The Skeena Queen was supposed to be the first of five identical boats but that money was reallocated to Fast Cat cost overruns.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#3437 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:30 PM

All the main routes are cancelled today effective now likely for the rest of the day due to weather. The ships still set to arrive are all delayed.

#3438 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:33 PM

where is the wind strongest Im in royal oak no wind here?

#3439 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:33 PM

The ocean.
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

#3440 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:42 PM

uh huh....

• 57WestHills likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users