[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6319 replies to this topic

#3461 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:44 AM

The Clipper is cancelled for passenger comfort reasons, not seaworthiness in high seas.

Matt, I think when BCF finally gets a new computer system they will be able to be much more creative with fares.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3462 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:36 AM

SOR_Vehicle_Ramps.JPG

I don't get it.   This is a Salish vessel.  How do these ramps work?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3463 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:15 AM

How they are in the photo allows access to the garage or lower vehicle deck. When they're down there's an incline to the upper car deck that's straight all the way across.

It'll be new to us but fairly standard across Europe and Asia.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#3464 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:28 AM

How they are in the photo allows access to the garage or lower vehicle deck. When they're down there's an incline to the upper car deck that's straight all the way across.

Interesting.  So is it the same set-up on the other end, you drive out under a similar ramp?

#3465 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:49 AM

Exact same, yup.

#3466 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:47 PM

Yup not all that dissimilar in concept to the older V-class (I think?) after they were cut in half and stretched back in the day and an "upper ramp" also installed.

• Nparker, Matt R. and tedward like this

#3467 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:31 AM

QNW and SE May2017.jpg

The old and the new.  I really like the art work and the colour scheme on the Salish Eagle.

QA May2017.jpg

One of my favourite views from a BC Ferry.  The unique Queen of Alberni on it's evening departure to Duke Point.

• Mike K. likes this

#3468 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:33 AM

Finally getting some movement on expanding the parking area at Fulford.

http://gulfislandsdr...o/#.WQyXnlRlChC

Matt.

#3469 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:59 PM

Sounds like the Salish Orca will start operating between Powell River and Comox on Tuesday.

I know it's probably already been stated, but please remind me.  What is the current status of the Queen of Burnaby.  Last I heard, BC Ferries received one bid for it.  Is this the last weekend to ride the QofB as a BC Ferry?

#3470 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:44 PM

Burnaby was sold to a consortium including one fellow from salt spring, it's heading to Cuba eventually to become a party boat and potentially a ferry.

Matt.

#3471 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:36 PM

It'll make a good party boat.  

#3472 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:53 AM

I think the Burnaby sale fell through? Or is this the second iteration of it?

#3473 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:04 AM

That's the latest information I have. It may well have changed, it certainly sounded like a motley ... crew.

Matt.

#3474 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:53 PM

Ferries will be extra busy next weekend due to the holiday weekend. Numerous extra sailings have been added on the main routes. If timing is crucial then a reservation might be worthwhile.

• Matt R. likes this

#3475 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:40 PM

I think the Burnaby sale fell through? Or is this the second iteration of it?

I bought it and put on a pair of 70 hp Mercs and a *****in' sound system and I'm gonna spend the summer burning it around Shawnigan Lake.

• VicHockeyFan, Matt R. and 57WestHills like this

#3476 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:21 AM

I bought it and put on a pair of 70 hp Mercs and a *****in' sound system and I'm gonna spend the summer burning it around Shawnigan Lake.

You'll need at least a 3rd Merc to get it up the river though.  That's the tricky part.

• Rob Randall likes this

#3477 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:06 PM

BC Ferries continues to roll out its vessel class and standardization strategy to achieve operating cost savings and efficiencies, awarding Damen Shipyards Group of the Netherlands a contract to build two new minor class vessels that are scheduled to go into service in 2020.

Damen has entered into an agreement with Point Hope Shipyards of Victoria, B.C. to provide technical and warranty support for the new vessels, ensuring repair and maintenance activities will be performed in British Columbia.

BC Ferries has been carrying out a public participation process with the communities that will be served by the new vessels.  This allows communities input in the vessel design and operation.  The first of three phases is complete with two more phases to follow before the end of this year. 

The first of the new vessels will be deployed on the Powell River – Texada Island route, replacing the 59-year-old North Island Princess, which will be retired from the BC Ferries fleet.  The second vessel will replace the Quadra Queen II on the Port McNeill – Alert Bay – Sointula route.  The Quadra Queen II will become a relief vessel, allowing for fleet redeployments and the retirement of the 53-year old Howe Sound Queen. 

The agreement is a design-build, fixed-priced contract that provides BC Ferries with substantial guarantees related to delivery dates, performance criteria, cost certainty and quality construction.  The total project budget, which includes financing and project management costs, is approximately $86.5 million CAD.  As announced on March 31, 2017, this project is partially funded by the Government of Canada.  

The two minor class vessels will have the capacity to carry at least 44 vehicles and up to 300 passengers and crew. They will have a number of key features that support BC Ferries' goal to be efficient and environmentally responsible throughout its system.

http://www.newswire....-626789591.html

#3478 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:09 AM

Salish Raven, last of the three Salish class ships, is arriving into BC now-ish. I think (but don't know) that it's headed to Ogden and should arrive within the hour.

#3479 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:35 AM

VIDEO of her arrival

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3480 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:01 AM

Should we start the discussion over the newest two smaller vessels?  Class name?  Ship name?

I'll start..."Gulf Island" class to make reference to the geography, or maybe something like "Steamship" class to honour some of the coastal history.  Although of course with that one, someone will wonder where the steamships are....so likely not a great name.

Or just continue with the naming of vessels based on places.  Class of vessel would loosely be "Community" class.  And the name of the vessels something like MV Texada, or MV Alert Bay.  Of course a good mix of Indigenous place names as well.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users