Photo

[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6319 replies to this topic

#3601 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:19 PM

you expect ferry waits to be at their peak on long weekends in the summer just as you would expect the mahalat to go at a snail's pace, a 3 ferry wait is a bit crazy i'll admit but after those 3 went there was maybe a 1 sailing wait.. i've been watching the sailing waits.. and i don't think there was much more then the occasional 1 sailing wait all Sunday.. now if your going mid week there's not too much to worry about 

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#3602 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,031 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:37 PM

Our little ferry is rammed full may to October and then some!

Matt.

#3603 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:19 AM

you expect ferry waits to be at their peak on long weekends in the summer just as you would expect the mahalat to go at a snail's pace, a 3 ferry wait is a bit crazy i'll admit but after those 3 went there was maybe a 1 sailing wait.. i've been watching the sailing waits.. and i don't think there was much more then the occasional 1 sailing wait all Sunday.. now if your going mid week there's not too much to worry about 

This past Sunday is a bad example, given it was a long weekend. Yesterday was 2 or 3 sailing waits pretty much all day, and currently they aren't far from a 1 sailing wait today already.

Edited by lanforod, 08 August 2017 - 07:20 AM.

#3604 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:21 AM

Traffic is up this year. But the suggestion Mike K is offering is not based in fact. BC Ferries has posted their ridership data either in paper or online and last & this year were the only increases after 13 years of decrease.

It's more noticeable on the mainline routes because the lift capacity of some of the ships is reduced, and since 1999 there's one less major vessel.

I had hoped everyone realized my comments were tongue-in-cheek  :construction:

• VicHockeyFan and 57WestHills like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3605 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:58 AM

^ Need to get working on that sarcasm font, or at least an appropriate emoji!

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#3606 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:51 PM

There was at least a one sailing wait today, at 10:20 the 11 was full and the 12 was 85%.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3607 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:55 PM

Mid afternoon CFAX guest today had to call in rather than appear in studio because his bus is a ferry bus (70 or 72 I guess) and it was full of ferry passengers and passed up his stop.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3608 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:02 PM

On CHEK News tonight, Deborah Marshall, reported that both the Thursday before and the Tuesday after the BC Day long weekend, often have higher traffic volumes than the Friday/Monday of the weekend. It seems a lot of people (erroneously) believe they are going to beat the crowds by travelling outside of the "official" dates.

#3609 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:35 PM

Tuesday is bound to have heavier commercial traffic than a normal Monday. Carriers avoid the holiday to give drivers and warehousepersons the day off and save on stat wages, but the same number of goods must get through now in 20% less days this week.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3610 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:30 PM

It was hours of stress ferry passenger Sue Maclean says could have been avoided.

She and her boyfriend spent the long weekend camping in Tofino, B.C., and headed home to Vancouver on Monday — gunning for the last ferry out of Nanaimo's Departure Bay.

But at 7:30 p.m. — two hours before the sailing — highway signs and the BC Ferries website already said the vessel was 100 per cent full.

Still, they took their chances and got on the 9:30 p.m. sailing — only to find the boat leaving with room for dozens more cars.

What changed is that people made reservations they didn't cancel or show up to claim, said BC Ferries spokeswoman Deborah Marshall.

"If customers choose not to use their reservations then don't contact us, then we're not able to free that space up in the system until 30 minutes before."  

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...empty-1.4239104

#3611 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:03 PM

This story just reeks of BS to me. A couple looking for sympathy. For one, it is extremely rare that the last sailing at any major terminal any day of the year is ever full. Second, there's a 10:45pm sailing just down the road at Duke Point that would have gotten any stragglers back to mainland if the 9:30pm really was full.

BC Ferries...the Air Canada of the seas. Always an easy target for a few clicks.
  • AllseeingEye and tedward like this

#3612 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:06 PM

Imagine the stress. Whatever.
  • Matt R. likes this

#3613 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:14 PM

If you don't want to be stressed, don't plan on catching the last ferry of the busiest weekend of the year without a reservation. Pretty simple stuff.
  • Nparker and Chris City like this

#3614 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:17 PM

deleted

Edited by LJ, 09 August 2017 - 07:18 PM.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3615 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:13 PM

BC Ferries is going ahead with their plan to keep passengers off of enclosed decks starting after the Thanksgiving long weekend.

Curious how this will affect pet owners. I've noticed most pet owners generally leave their windows mostly up when they're not in their vehicles and down when they are in their vehicles. Those enclosed decks get stinking hot in the summer, and the pet areas simply do not have the capacity to host people bringing their pets upstairs if people decide they don't want to leave them unattended downstairs. Curious if we'll start seeing a Coho-esque pet policy. The pet owner lobby is strong!

On October 11, 2017, BC Ferries will harmonize its safety practices with Canadian ferry operators relating to Transport Canada regulations that prohibit passengers from remaining in their vehicle on any closed deck on a vessel that is underway.

https://www.bcferrie...ents?id=1083211

#3616 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:14 PM

What's the Coho policy?

#3617 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

So on the main route 1, this means the lower deck would be off limits but not the upper car deck?

#3618 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

I'd think some truck drivers will not be happy.
  • sebberry and lanforod like this

#3619 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:15 PM

I'd think some truck drivers will not be happy.

For sure. Hard to enforce though, especially for sleeper cabs.

#3620 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:17 PM

So on the main route 1, this means the lower deck would be off limits but not the upper car deck?

Ya.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users