[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6304 replies to this topic

#3761 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:02 AM

Those are pretty good pay rates. $23/hour, x 7.5 hours x 5 = $862.50 per week, or $3450 per month, $41.4k per year. That's about $2,400 take-home per month.

Darned good job for that position.

They are casuals though, at least these open positions are.  So not full time, not even regular part time.

• Coreyburger likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3762 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:07 PM

The third is at Deas Dock right now. I believe it’s just intended to supplement the Tsawwassen-Southern Gulf Islands route.

The Salish-class at Deas is there for its warranty repairs, upgrades and a few changes.

There will be an "extra one" off season. However with relief for refits and returning to service for off-season peak periods I doubt we will see it spending too much time at dock which is good. The Bowen Queen, however, will now barely sail though (which is a good thing that its service is minimized but BC Ferries did not just retire it - they've been running way too thin for the last decade).

On Sundays in the summer the Salish Eagle will come to Swartz Bay assuming the schedule doesn't change; I don't think it will for 2018.
  • VicHockeyFan and shoeflack like this

#3763 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:52 PM

Those are pretty good pay rates. $23/hour, x 7.5 hours x 5 = $862.50 per week, or $3450 per month, $41.4k per year. That's about $2,400 take-home per month.

Darned good job for that position.

Pretty certain these are casual, on-call positions and therefore no guarantee of 37.5 hour work weeks. Also you need to be flexible to work days, nights, weekends, holidays etc. I've set up, operationalized and managed call centers including the now infamous and long departed West facility here back in the day - I've nothing but respect for the front line CSR because I frankly wouldn't do that job for twice what BCF is offering. There is a reason the typical customer contact center has high employee churn.....

• Mike K., Nparker and jonny like this

#3764 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:02 PM

Mechanical issues for the Coastal Inspiration today, and now it has spilled hydraulic fluid into the ocean. Both Tsawwassen and Horseshoe Bay sailings have been running out of Departure Bay.

Hydraulic oil spill in Nanaimo harbour leads to ferry cancellations, rescheduling

Duke Point sailings redirected to Departure Bay, BC Ferries says

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...uling-1.4367930

Edited by Jackerbie, 23 October 2017 - 01:02 PM.

#3765 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:23 PM

I hope they don't have to send it to back to Germany for repairs.

#3766 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:33 PM

I spilled a whole load of manual transmission fluid on my face once.  That was not very pleasant.  

If I only had the internet back then.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 23 October 2017 - 01:34 PM.

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3767 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:50 AM

Ferry crews and passengers searched the sea Monday evening after a report that someone had gone overboard on Queen of Cowichan.

A passenger went overboard at about 5:45 p.m., halfway through the voyage from Horseshoe Bay to Departure Bay, said spokesperson Deborah Marshall.

Both Queen of Cowichan and Queen of Oak Bay launched rescue boats before the coast guard took over the search.

“They were not able to find a person in the water,” Marshall said. “They stood us down at 7 p.m.”

http://www.timescolo...erry-1.23079405

#3768 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:08 PM

A new BC Ferry, The Northern Sea Wolf  is plying the waters of the Atlantic Ocean making its way home to BC.

The passenger vessel, acquired for the new route from Port Hardy to Bella Coola, departed Athens, Greece today for the 10,097 nautical mile journey.

The vessel’s mid-life upgrade is planned to take place at a local shipyard in B.C., with a contract for this work to be awarded later this fall. It should be in the water and ready for summer service in 2018.

http://www.iheartrad...or-bc-1.3408002

#3769 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:19 PM

...The vessel’s mid-life upgrade is planned to take place at a local shipyard in B.C., with a contract for this work to be awarded later this fall...

Interesting that the contract for the ship's mid-life upgrade is being awarded almost a year ahead of the new vessel coming into service.

#3770 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:02 PM

Interesting that the contract for the ship's mid-life upgrade is being awarded almost a year ahead of the new vessel coming into service.

I assumed "mid-life" meant whatever work will be done in the spring, since the vessel was built in 2000. It would be weird to award a contact for work that isn't needed for another five to ten years. Why not do those upgrades before the vessel comes into service?

#3771 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:11 PM

I assumed "mid-life" meant whatever work will be done in the spring, since the vessel was built in 2000...

So this "new" vessel is in fact used and is already at its mid-life. Will it need to be replaced in 20 years or so?

#3772 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:25 PM

So this "new" vessel is in fact used and is already at its mid-life. Will it need to be replaced in 20 years or so?

Depends how well it was made, and how well it is serviced in the coming years. The Queens were launched in 1963, and the New West is still making runs. Lots of refits for those boats, though, which certainly extended their lifespan.

#3773 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:32 PM

Depends how well it was made, and how well it is serviced in the coming years...

I am just a bit puzzled at the choice of the term "mid-life" if the vessel has multiple decades of functional usage left.

#3774 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:35 PM

The ship is going to do over 10,000 nautical miles and around 35 days just getting here.

So when they say midlife is that based on the number of years the vessel is expected to last, or is it based on the number of hours on the engines and number of nautical miles sailed?

#3775 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:47 PM

Well, it clearly based on service hours.  That's why the Coho is still going, while the Sidney is not.

#3776 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:48 PM

Depends how well it was made, and how well it is serviced in the coming years. The Queens were launched in 1963, and the New West is still making runs. Lots of refits for those boats, though, which certainly extended their lifespan.

Nothing wrong with the New West, I always smile when I get that old girl.

• Matt R. likes this

#3777 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:55 PM

Just don't breathe too deeply; there isn't much paint holding the asbestos at bay.

#3778 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 06:39 PM

I hope that was consensual.     :cheers:  

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#3779 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:52 PM

Tough day for BCF.  They had to cancel many sailings and their website "current conditions" has been down all afternoon.

#3780 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:44 PM

Yeah, I'm affected. Didn't realize that if a ferry gets canceled you have a reservation for, you're basically screwed. It gets refunded and you're back to first come first served. No other reservations available same day, and 3 sailing waits (so 4 hours at the terminal...

Can't really think of a better way to deal with it. One thing they should do though, is allow a new reservation at the same rate the original reservation was... if you do manage to reserve a later ferry, or one the next day, the reservation fee is quite a bit higher than the lowest of $10.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users