[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6319 replies to this topic

#21 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:27 PM

Like most in the village, Marven Robinson can remember every detail of the night the Queen of the North went down -- except the part at the beginning: "I was in bed, sleeping."

Marven leaves his VHF radio on all the time, as is common in Hartley Bay, about 140 kilometres south of Prince Rupert. He doesn't remember hearing the ferry captain's emergency transmission, but he must have, because suddenly he was scrambling out of the covers. "There's something wrong," he told his wife. [url=http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/story.html?id=94612735-7ff5-4a69-a1d1-e427e7ce6624&k=44195:5c0ea]Cite[/url:5c0ea]

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#22 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:02 PM

My in-laws live in rural PEI and they leave their radio on all night.

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:44 AM

Nobody has been fired over sinking

Times Colonist

Published: Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The Queen of the North sank more than one year ago, and still not one employee has lost their job due to the sinking.

The inquiry has determined human error. The replacement vessel cost nearly $70 million. Two people are presumed dead.

In most jurisdictions, not only would those responsible be fired, but they would be facing criminal charges.

Not in Canada though. That's a shame.

Barry Hobbis,

Victoria.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:50 AM

Thanks Barry!

(I"m guessing he's reading this, so I'll thank him directly)

:)

#25 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:44 PM

I agree.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#26 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:04 PM

If you can't get fired for [url=http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2006/10/17/bc-ldb.html:1d91a]getting drunk and abusive in front of your bosses at Government House[/url:1d91a] I guess you can't get fired for anything these days.

I bet those ferry employees would have been fired had they been caught stealing belongings from the passengers' cabins. But actually causing their deaths and sinking a $70 million ship doesn't quite make it.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#27 bcradio

bcradio
  • 121 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:31 PM

Or maybe we should just wait until the official TSB report comes in before we make up our minds about blame and punishment.

#28 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:45 PM

/agree BCRadio
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#29 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:11 PM

/agree BC Radio and Caramia...

Let's remember to use our analytical skills on the actual reports as opposed to responding to the stakeholders communication consultant's spin..

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:22 PM

^ and ^^ and ^^^ How come this whole process takes over a year?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#31 bcradio

bcradio
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:23 AM

In an accident investigation of this magnitude, there are so many facts and bits of information that needs to be collected, analyzed and put together.

Check out the report on Swiss Air 111, and you'll get an idea of what the TSB folks have been doing:

http://www.tsb.gc.ca... ... ection=ALL

^ and ^^ and ^^^ How come this whole process takes over a year?

#32 obscurantist

obscurantist

in your backyard

• 53 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:01 PM

[url=http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2007/04/04/bc-ferries.html:c418c]CBC[/url:c418c]

Tougher security measures will start to take effect at BC Ferries terminals next year — including random screening of passengers and vehicles, says a senior company official.

As a result, passengers may have to arrive 40 minutes to an hour before sailing, depending on the level of security in place, said Manuel Achadinha, the corporation's vice-president of terminal operations. ...

[url=http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=1dcb94ca-4ce4-432d-80f9-a9c370369c77&k=51869:c418c]Times-Colonist story[/url:c418c]

#33 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:19 PM

This is officially crossing the line into stupidity.

#34 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:32 PM

You sure it isn't just paralleling the up-coming federal "law and order" election being staged?

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:23 PM

It's insane. 1/2 hour to get to the ferry, and hour wait, 1.5 hour sailing and an hour into Vancouver. 4 hours during non-rush times. Time for a bridge.

#36 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:09 PM

Stooopid. As if Bin Laden is plotting his mastermind attack on the Queen of Surrey. If he's alive he's laughing at our chicken-little attitude.

This "security" check will only annoy the drug traffickers that use the ferry every day. Yeah, more jittery armed drug dealers--that makes me feel "secure".

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:24 PM

From todays TC article on the 3 new C-class ferries, found this quite interesting..

For those looking for creature comforts, the new ferries will have seating for 90 per cent of passengers, up from 65 per cent, and 40 per cent more washrooms than their predecessors.

I don't know that I've ever been unable to find a seat. Finding 3 or 4 together might be tough on a packed ship, but singles, no problem. Washroom never been a problem either.

#38 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:35 PM

^Same here.

The reason they need twice as many seats is because everyone sprawls out and puts their dirty old feet up on the seat opposite them like they were halfway through a London-Auckland flight or something.

I remember when the upstairs lounge was a quiet, peaceful (and smoke-free) oasis, then they installed the kiddie playrooms there and now there's no escape unless you upgrade to the executive club or whatever it is.

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:53 PM

^Same here.

The reason they need twice as many seats is because everyone sprawls out and puts their dirty old feet up on the seat opposite them like they were halfway through a London-Auckland flight or something.

I remember when the upstairs lounge was a quiet, peaceful (and smoke-free) oasis, then they installed the kiddie playrooms there and now there's no escape unless you upgrade to the executive club or whatever it is.

That upgrade is cheap, I do it all the time. $7 and you get a newspaper and all-you-can-eat cheese, veggys, cake etc. A good deal if you ask me.

#40 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:05 PM

And the best view in the house if you get there early enough to snag a table at a window.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users