PROPOSED
Victoria PARC
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 829-899 Fort Street / 846-856 Broughton Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 10
PARC Retirement Living is proposing a seniors’ independent living rental residence (with a 5% below-market a... (view full profile)
Learn more about Victoria PARC on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] Victoria PARC | Seniors rentals; commercial | 10-storeys | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#61 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:49 AM

call me crazy but i think like the quadra st side better. something about the panels & curves on the corners make it look kind of futuristic. maybe changing the red brick to concrete block would also be an improvement like the facing on the juliet, or that ashley furniture store on the old island hwy. or some colour & glass panels like this (ironically) youth housing, which to me sort of resembles the quadra st side

stringio.jpg

how would that block of fort st look at night with something like this

stringio.jpg

http://www.archdaily...-arkitektkontor

Edited by amor de cosmos, 30 March 2017 - 11:55 AM.

• jonny likes this

#62 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:59 AM

Methinks a modern counterpoint to the brick-heavy sections would be really good if that is indeed what they were going for (and if the white panels look really slick and are otherwise up to the challenge). The curved corner looks great. But the appearance of those balconies doesn't seem right. They don't fit. Maybe the actual balconies would look more modern and less motel-ish?

The brick on the upper floors on the Broughton corner just looks like an afterthought to me. Uninspired. But I suppose we really need to see a picture of the Broughton Street side.

Edit: I have to give it props for mixing things up a bit and for having such a good ground floor. I like the clash of the white against the red brick (that's some of that "spice" that Concert's project for the motel site seems to be missing). This is not your father's retirement residence.

Edited by aastra, 30 March 2017 - 12:11 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#63 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:22 PM

white against the red brick (that's some of that "spice" that Concert's project for the motel site seems to be missing). This is not your father's retirement residence.

Old folks aren't what they used to be. 65 year olds were born in 1952. I have it on good authority that people born in the sixties will be old folks in the near future. Astounding but true.

• Nparker likes this

#64 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:26 PM

65 year olds were born in 1952.

Only 65 were born in 1952? That seems low. Heck, the membership of VV would account for a big chunk of that.

#65 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:26 PM

call me crazy but i think like the quadra st side better...

OK. You're crazy.

#66 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:01 AM

Rezoning application was received last week, no documents on the dev tracker yet though: https://tender.victo...Number=REZ00613

• Mike K., Kapten Kapsell and Nparker like this

#67 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:12 AM

Rezoning application was received last week, no documents on the dev tracker yet though: https://tender.victo...Number=REZ00613

The attachment is there now (it's a massive document with detailed floor plans etc.), and the design has changed.  Here's one of several new perspective renderings of the project.

fort and parc.JPG

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 28 September 2017 - 09:12 AM.

#68 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:15 AM

I think I preferred the earlier design with the red brick... the current design seems more 'institutional', which is a look that should be avoided when designing homes for seniors (imo)...

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 28 September 2017 - 09:15 AM.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#69 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:26 AM

Almost everything that was good about it is gone now. They fixed the motel balconies but downgraded pretty much everything else.

#70 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:29 AM

...the current design seems more 'institutional'...

You're exactly right. The reason it looked good before is because it didn't have that canned institutional flavour. Curved glass on the corner, etc. Did somebody scold them because their retirement residence didn't look enough like a retirement residence? Now I'm Nparker, shaking my head at how silly this dance is.

post-96-0-67047300-1490814651.jpeg

Edited by aastra, 28 September 2017 - 09:30 AM.

• Kapten Kapsell and Nparker like this

#71 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for posting that original rendering aastra! 

I agree, I heavily prefer the curved portion on the original rendering - it almost looks like two separate buildings which is enjoyable. The newest proposal looks much more like one, standing building. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#72 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:01 AM

Am I counting nine-storeys now?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#73 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:10 AM

Am I counting nine-storeys now?

It looks like very top floor might be recessed... still 10 floors?

• Mike K. likes this

#74 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:31 AM

It's just a big 10 floor wall now. It got "Tapestry'ed", without even the redeeming feature of height variation that the Tapestry project will have. Sad. :whyme:

#75 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:34 AM

... Now I'm Nparker, shaking my head at how silly this dance is...

Your membership card in the "Nparker Fan Club" is on its way.*

* the secret headshake ritual will be taught at your sweating in ceremony

#76 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:40 AM

Also, look at how the trees are hiding the lower levels. For crying out loud, start requiring (allowing?) developers to build stuff that doesn't need to be hidden behind trees in order to look good.

post-77-0-11992200-1506618746.jpg

Edited by aastra, 28 September 2017 - 10:40 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#77 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:42 AM

I can imagine the folks in charge being shown rendering "A", and offering all sorts of negative feedback. So then they're shown rendering "B" (exactly the same but with lots of trees), and everybody agrees that the design has been improved significantly.

#78 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:50 AM

Also, look at how the trees are hiding the lower levels. For crying out loud, start requiring (allowing?) developers to build stuff that doesn't need to be hidden behind trees in order to look good.

Just be thankful the project is allowed to be taller than the trees. As I recall, that was one of the criticisms directed at the 200 Cook Street project.

#79 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:52 AM

I notice that the seagulls have bunched up in the latest rendering as though they are preparing to attack. Even they seemed happier with the earlier design.

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#80 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:56 AM

So are the usual suspects on vacation or something? This project and the other project for the same block will turn a very lowrise stretch of Fort Street into a midrise wall from Quadra almost to the corner of Blanshard. Where's the canned outrage?

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users