Photo

Saanich EDPA

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#181 dasmo

dasmo
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:43 PM

Farmers just take their oil from the ground. No need to go into town.

#182 Benn

Benn
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:37 PM

VHF what did your dad do after he changed the oil in his car when you were a kid? It probably all went down the storm drain. I'm pretty sure I remember being told to pour paint down the storm drain before I knew better. That was where you disposed of liquid things you didn't want. Especially things that the lady of the house didn't want mucking up the sinks.

Edited by Benn, 15 May 2017 - 09:54 PM.

#183 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 44,428 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:48 AM

It's all about dilution. Ten litres of motor oil into the drain is tiny once it mixes with billions of billions of litres of sea water.

#184 rjag

rjag
  • 2,554 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:24 AM

It's all about dilution. Ten litres of motor oil into the drain is tiny once it mixes with billions of billions of litres of sea water.

I think this qualifies for most bizarre quote for the day
  • jonny and Benn like this

#185 Benn

Benn
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:39 AM

Just for clarity, dumping motor oil is a chargeable offense, and if you do so you may be subject to fines and/or jail time. Also known as idiot tax.

#186 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 193 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:43 AM

Just for clarity, dumping motor oil is a chargeable offense, and if you do so you may be subject to fines and/or jail time. Also known as idiot tax.

Nah, only if you get caught ... and I only dump my oil at night (when it's dark out) when there's nobody around, and usually try to scootch it so it runs towards my neighbors house ... so I'm good to go  :banana:

But now that I know you're an "oil cop", I'll have to be even more crafty!! (maybe start wearing a disguise or some such clever undertaking).

#187 Benn

Benn
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:35 AM

I'll just leave this here for you.

http://changingminds...ing_beliefs.htm

#188 Sparky

Sparky

Super Duper Moderator

• 8,934 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:41 AM

....and now back to our regular programming. Thank you.

#189 pinguu

pinguu
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:31 PM

Oil and water mix? First I've heard of it!!

#190 pinguu

pinguu
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:43 PM

You realize that every farmer on every farm in North America still does this ... right?

I mean, do you think they drive into town 130 miles away to recycle the oil at the local oil recycling center?

Yet the world still turns.

The world will "turn" regardless of whether we delete ourselves from its ecosystem too ;)  This isn't about the world but us living in it.

#191 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 193 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:31 PM

The world will "turn" regardless of whether we delete ourselves from its ecosystem too ;)  This isn't about the world but us living in it.

I've always maintained that the Second Law of Thermodynamics ensures that the world will wear out completely, as will everything in it - including us.

Whether that happens before the Sun expands and swallows us up, I don't know ... but either way pouring some oil in a rocky hole probably won't make much difference one way or the other.

BUT, despite my attempt at humor above, I don't actually change my own oil - rather I have my local 10 Minute Lube and Oil shop do it ... and they recycle, so I'm still definitely good to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users