Photo

Saanich EDPA

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#81 Benn

Benn
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:14 PM

So instead of building a 12 homes in a 1.5 acre parcel of land completely razing the natural area, maybe building 8 or 6 homes within it and trying to maintain a necessary corridor for habitat. 

Great idea, at least superficially.

The Elkington Forest is perhaps the ideal of what you want.  Too bad it has a Walk Score of 0. 

The example above is pretty much exactly what is going on, on the south side of Christmas Hill currently. The chunk out of the mapping on the west side of the image below, around 4007 and 4011 Rainbow, was a removal from the Atlas June 2016. The owners claim that they don't intend to develop. Yet the developer who is currently building the Lyra project nextdoor at 4027 Rainbow, owns 804-820 McKenzie. He built the townhouses and homes further up Rainbow about 8 years ago. 4007 and 4011 Rainbow are the only two properties left on his monopoly board. They are about 1.6 acres in total area. 

The scenario from Saanich that would've been approved under the EDPA, was a six lot subdivision between 4007 and 4011. For some reason the homeowners thought that would make it difficult for them to sell. Could they get twelve dwellings there instead of 6? Is there any point in making the whole situation more complicated when the development occurs? You'd think the developer and Saanich could've found a way to do things at least considering the environment. There are a bunch of oak trees in there that will come down to make way for roofs.

Untitled.png

#82 dasmo

dasmo
  • 3,671 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:44 PM

Oh, I will be. This is part of my background campaign to soften the defenses for when I submit my application. It's very calculated.

Or you could spend a few hundred and hire a biologist to check out your property and write a short report for you. But if you think trying to drum up the villagers with torches and pitchforks is the way to go then by all means.... I can give you a few biologist contacts....

#83 dasmo

dasmo
  • 3,671 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:58 PM

Great idea, at least superficially.

The Elkington Forest is perhaps the ideal of what you want. Too bad it has a Walk Score of 0.

I would say that is incorrect in reference to it's vision. Now yes. It's a gravel pit with a show home. I would say Ellington is an example of a high-end "ideal version" of something related to european inspired eco village. Very interesting concept. If I had lots of money and a time machine so I could fast forward twenty years I would be very interested in that community. But the ideal form depends on the location. Around the Hudson area to Uptown it should be high rise / high density, Fairfield Oakbay close to Victoria should be low rise row and town house, maybe even Langford and Colwood now the tram line is going in.... Areas bordering natural habitat that has been pinpointed as sensitive should be considerate to it. It's taken a while for the Gorge water way to stop smelling like sh*t. Wasn't that silly of us treating it like that?

#84 rjag

rjag
  • 2,393 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:01 PM

COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE - MARCH 27TH, 7:30 PM, SAANICH HALL

Seven  applications for Treetop Rd. and Cordova Bay Rd. will be heard by council.  Again, Saanich staff is challenging the applicants biologist and has has hired a non-registered biologist to assess these 7 properties without going onto them.  The staff report for these applications can be found on the Saanich website.

MARINE BUFFERS -  The Screech application for 2893 Seaview, that went to council in November 2016 and was approved to proceed to Public Hearing, goes before council on March 27th to discuss the Marine Buffer only.  The  results of this meeting could have implications for all marine properties in Saanich.  We understand there are approximately 650 marine properties in Saanich.  We encourage all marine property owners to attend this very important meeting.

The staff report to council for this application can be found on the Saanich website. 

Saanich Citizens for a Responsible EDPA Society

#85 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 42,882 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:09 AM

Seven  applications for Treetop Rd. and Cordova Bay Rd. will be heard by council.  Again, Saanich staff is challenging the applicants biologist and has has hired a non-registered biologist to assess these 7 properties without going onto them.  The staff report for these applications can be found on the Saanich website.

MARINE BUFFERS -  The Screech application for 2893 Seaview, that went to council in November 2016 and was approved to proceed to Public Hearing, goes before council on March 27th to discuss the Marine Buffer only.  The  results of this meeting could have implications for all marine properties in Saanich.  We understand there are approximately 650 marine properties in Saanich.  We encourage all marine property owners to attend this very important meeting.

The staff report to council for this application can be found on the Saanich website. 

rjag, can you find the link and post it?

#86 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 42,882 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:15 AM

Interesting.  The "Screech application" is View Royal Mayor David Screech's father.  According to the applicant, he is unable to mow the lawn, garden and move garden furniture without seeking approval.

http://www.saanich.c...wnov1016rcw.pdf

#87 Benn

Benn
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:50 AM

I wonder where he got that idea?

#88 dasmo

dasmo
  • 3,671 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:02 AM

At least he is applying for an amendment to his property which the mechanism allows for. I don't hear him launching a campaign against all environmental protection. What makes this place special is we still have nature. We have a working harbour, with nature. That is a truly unique balance. That is the ideal....

#89 Benn

Benn
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:08 AM

That application is part of the broader campaign to remove the bylaw, as demonstrated by the advocacy from Saanich Citizens for a Responsible EDPA Society. The biology work was again complementary here. The current bylaw in no way limits his existing use of the property. The fundamental question is really, do you think Saanich should have a role in marine foreshore planning that spans multiple properties? Everything points to that being in the best interest of the public.

#90 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 42,882 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:10 AM

We have a working harbour, with nature. That is a truly unique balance. That is the ideal....

We would have no working harbour if an EPDA got slapped on the first 25 feet of every waterfront commercial operation here.  Ralmax, Snitzer Steel, Point Hope would all have to close.

#91 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 42,882 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:11 AM

That application is part of the broader campaign to remove the bylaw, as demonstrated by the advocacy from Saanich Citizens for a Responsible EDPA Society. The biology work was again complementary here. The current bylaw in no way limits his existing use of the property. The fundamental question is really, do you think Saanich should have a role in marine foreshore planning that spans multiple properties? Everything points to that being in the best interest of the public.

Can someone please post the link.  Or remove the clip/paste.  That's our rules here.  

#92 rjag

rjag
  • 2,393 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:28 AM

Can someone please post the link.  Or remove the clip/paste.  That's our rules here.  

It is an email thread VHF, I signed up for it a few months back and simply receive updates. I dont know if there is a website or not. What I posted was simply copied from my email

Heres their website

http://apello.org/project/edpa/

Edited by rjag, 21 March 2017 - 08:29 AM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#93 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 42,882 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:29 AM

It is an email thread VHF, I signed up for it a few months back and simply receive updates. I dont know if there is a website or not. What I posted was simply copied from my email

OK, that's great then.

#94 Benn

Benn
  • 22 posts

Posted Today, 08:43 AM

http://issuu.com/bla...1/1?mode=mobile

Page 5

#95 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 42,882 posts

Posted Today, 08:52 AM