A few oldies from back in the day...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:59 PM

Going through some of my dad's papers over the weekend discovered a veritable trove of trinkets from bars, clubs and CHEK TV from the 50's through the mid-60's; here are a few of them including a Snug menu from 1957 (bottle of burgundy was $3) as well as some McMorran's New Years and other event cards from 1958 and '60, as well as an unused CHEK TV Club 6 membership card from 1965...

Attached Images

• The Snug 1957.jpg
  • More oldies.jpg

• Dietrich, Sparky, Bingo and 1 other like this

#2 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:38 PM

^ Did Bob stash away any wrestling playbills?

#3 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:11 PM

/\....No he didn't Sparky - at least to my knowledge, then again we've only scratched the surface of what is in storage.

There is all manner of radio-TV-nightclub-sports paraphernalia stored away including thousands of feet of audio and video tape, background notes from both CJVI and CHEK, stuff from the 1964 Empire Stadium Beatles concert (including I know for a fact some ticket stubs). Also stuff related to the old Victoria Cougars from the 1960's since he worked on some of the early broadcasts with Gorde Hunter. Not to mention boatloads - sorry for the pun - of material from the old BC Steamship line where he worked as a purser for 5 years prior to getting into the media. God knows what else we'll find when we eventually go through it all....

Funny thing about the McMorran's stuff is there was a rumor back in the day that McMorran Senior even charged his guests for ice for their drinks in the late 50's. Many years later we wound up in the same masonic lodge and I asked him about that...swore he couldn't recall, naturally with a twinkle in his eye.... :)
  • Dietrich and Bingo like this

#4 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:27 AM

Sounds like an incredible treasure trove; I look forward to seeing what else you uncover.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#5 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:52 AM

^^ Thanks ASE, keep an eye open for a film canister circa 1965 (it's film not tape right?) that has the markings "Club 6 The Phantoms" There were two occasions (as you know) where my guitar skills overwhelmingly affected the female dancers. I would pay handsomely for that film.....even if it were just to keep it out of the public realm. :)

The McMorran story is absolutely true. Both Erik and his dad before him rented glasses and sold ice and mix. There was no liquor licence at the time. The dancers would show up with their "mickeys" in their jacket and spill a little wiskey into their glass of coke. The McMorrans provided all the fixn's for a fee and everyone was ok with that.

.....well everyone except the 14 year old boy that had to wash and wax the dance floor on Sunday mornings. :)

• AllseeingEye and Dietrich like this

#6 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:07 AM

Will do Sparky; there is both film and tape as Club 6 was actually taped later in its run starting in the later 60's, we therefore have both mediums in storage. I'm hoping the film especially is still in good enough shape to be transferred to a digital format as many of the canister's - and their contents naturally - are of 1962-5 vintage. I'm thinking that Glenn Parfitt of the Royal City Music Project can point me in the right direction for a resource that can advise on the transfer process, or perhaps Barry Casson.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users