[Central Saanich] Jesken Town Centre (Costco) | Cancelled

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#201 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:31 AM

I think there is enough smoke that there is probably a fire somewhere... Mike, did you get anywhere digging?

#202 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:36 AM

Yes, I've got a little bit of info, but nothing quite suited for publishing. It seems like there might be a bit of a misinformation campaign to keep even higher-up employees at the Langford store guessing.

• lanforod likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#203 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 09 September 2017 - 06:50 AM

No second Costco for Capital Region …yet

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#204 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:00 AM

keep in mind they build Costco's from dirt to doors open in 99 days so it wouldn't take long once they found the land and got the green light from the municipality.

#205 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 11:54 AM

The issue that killed the Jesken Shopping Centre and which will keep Costco away is the lack of a highway interchange. Jesken died when Central Saanich mandated an overpass. Costco will literally break the current highway exit onto Keating if they locate anywhere along that strip.

Know it all.

#206 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 12:29 PM

The issue that killed the Jesken Shopping Centre and which will keep Costco away is the lack of a highway interchange. Jesken died when Central Saanich mandated an overpass. Costco will literally break the current highway exit onto Keating if they locate anywhere along that strip.

I agree. A Costco in the old gravel pit is the place to go, and then they could justify the long needed flyover onto Keating from the Pat Bay Highway.

#207 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:55 PM

Its still an operating gravel pit for another 4 years.  I know Central Saanich is pushing for a new interchange at Keating/Pat Highway.  Some days heading north on Pay Bay in the morning I have been stopped on the highway waiting to enter the left turn lane

#208 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:20 PM

Its still an operating gravel pit for another 4 years.  I know Central Saanich is pushing for a new interchange at Keating/Pat Highway.  Some days heading north on Pay Bay in the morning I have been stopped on the highway waiting to enter the left turn lane

What I don't understand is why don't people continue 200 meters down the road and turn off at the next exit and then just make you way back to Keating?

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#209 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:29 PM

I think it moves pretty quick and doesn't seem worth the hassle.  I'll try it next time thou

#210 Phoenix88

Phoenix88
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:27 PM

Interesting that rumors are circulating again for a 2nd Costco. I hope they can build a second. It should help a lot in terms of revitalizing the Keating area and provicde a lot of economic benefits to the area, compared to Jesken, CS would have had a some of the costs, and community impacts w/o any of the revenues.

The traffic will be pretty bad even with a keating overpass.

There was a study done in 2015 which showed posible overpass options for the areas down hwy 17.

http://www2.gov.bc.c...nning_study.pdf

Concept 2 was the preferred choice (page 41), which is a keating interchange, $33.9M (2013 contruction costs).

They also show what the Jes Ken Interchange concept would look like.

Who knows with the Peninsula, things are so slow changing out there. But nice to see an article once in a while.

#211 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:41 PM

Welcome to the forum, Phoenix88

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#212 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:59 AM

Interesting that rumors are circulating again for a 2nd Costco. I hope they can build a second. It should help a lot in terms of revitalizing the Keating area and provicde a lot of economic benefits to the area, compared to Jesken, CS would have had a some of the costs, and community impacts w/o any of the revenues.

The traffic will be pretty bad even with a keating overpass.

There was a study done in 2015 which showed posible overpass options for the areas down hwy 17.

http://www2.gov.bc.c...nning_study.pdf

Concept 2 was the preferred choice (page 41), which is a keating interchange, $33.9M (2013 contruction costs).

They also show what the Jes Ken Interchange concept would look like.

Who knows with the Peninsula, things are so slow changing out there. But nice to see an article once in a while.

That 2015 study has some nice pie in the sky improvements, but I would rather see the money spent on the Trans Canada from Victoria to Mill Bay, or a bridge across Saanich Inlet.

#213 Phoenix88

Phoenix88
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:13 PM

As this is a discussion on Jesken, now dead, and now a discussion on the central Saanich rumoured Costco, if the rumor has any basis, an overpass would be required. The document just shows what possibilities there are, that's it.

There are always a lot of competition for the same capital dollars. Definitely there are areas on Hwy 1 and mainland that need a lot of funding.

#214 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 08:23 AM

”It's not very fun when you're scared and you're running for your life, and you're trying to open a door that says 'emergency' and they don't open," Rochelle Flores told KTLA. "Everybody was freaking out. People were falling over each other."

- https://townhall.com...njured-n2548296

There was a shooting inside an LA Costco. An off-duty cop shopping with his family was involved in some sort of an altercation and shot several individuals. But that’s beside the point. The fact that emergency exists were not working is terrifying.

Know it all.

#215 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:40 PM

- https://townhall.com...njured-n2548296

There was a shooting inside an LA Costco. An off-duty cop shopping with his family was involved in some sort of an altercation and shot several individuals. But that’s beside the point. The fact that emergency exists were not working is terrifying.

All the emergency exit doors have a 10 second delay on them before opening.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#216 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:01 AM

Well that’s brilliant (not really).

Know it all.

#217 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:33 AM

it’s an anti shoplifting feature. alarm goes right away door waits 10 seconds. upon fire alarm it can be opened immediately.

#218 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:42 AM

Oh my. 10 seconds is an eternity when trying to escape a bad situation.

Know it all.

#219 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:06 AM

but other than a shooting what situation would require a speedier exit? pretty rare. if you want to take it to extremes you could require a door every 12 feet. that will also help you get out faster. but it’s impractical.

#220 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:56 AM

Who knows, there are a million scenarios that apply to needing to use an emergency exit. A 10 second delay can be deadly.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users