[Central Saanich] Jesken Town Centre (Costco) | Cancelled

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#41 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:29 PM

exactly Millstream Village Part Deux two. I like to call it hell world. Got to drive across the parking lot to get my coffee...I wish there could be a little inspiration in these places. the biggest thing to me isn't even surface parking as much as no consideration for pedestrian traffic. Once there I am left with nothing but parking lot until I get to the sidewalk of the store front. it's usually irritating and dangerous traveling. Build in some pedestrian connecting routes from parking zones to the store fronts. That alone would do wonders for these style developments.

#42 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

Makes Uptown look like a sparkling gem!

Re-develop the developed areas first, Keating would be my choice as well.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#43 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

I'm shocked that big box stores would not focus on foot traffic and bike traffic especially in this area. The goose is right there what's the problem here people? Families win again :(

Until you can carry your new TV home on your bike or fanny pack then cars will still be the transportation method of choice!

#44 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:14 PM

I am not sure if this development will be a blight or not. It seems very much like Millstream Village Part Deux to me. It's obviously regressive in design, by which I mean entirely auto-centred, and would likely get a LEED score of "lead". My greatest concern is that with all the empty retail and office space in the region (i.e. Uptown) is there really a need for this centre?

As far as big boxes go, there are still lots of options available that are not served by Uptown. Given that taxes will most certainly be lower on the first nations lands, you may even see some move over time.

#45 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

With all the concern over "urbran sprawl", land use, etc.. why don't councils pass density requirements? Any "big box" development should offer underground parking.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#46 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:36 PM

With all the concern over "urbran sprawl", land use, etc.. why don't councils pass density requirements? Any "big box" development should offer underground parking.

Councils could pass motions until the cows come home - this is on reserve land. Good move for both Costco and the reserve. As for Central Saanich, opportunity lost, as this would have anchored Keating Industrial Park quite nicely. But seeing how they've played silly buggers with the Co-Op, they kinda pushed Costco into bed with the Tsawout.

#47 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:21 PM

I find this commercial boom at the moment very strange. Have we seen a massive influx of population in the last 5 years in the region? No. Are people suddenly rich beyond their wildest dreams now over 5 years ago? I think not.
Have the people behind all these new developments done any studies on the viability of a population our size, versus the amount of commercial we can handle?
I suspect we may be witnessing a suburban commercial bubble in our midst.

#48 J Douglas

J Douglas
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:28 PM

Just what we need. Another short-sighted, auto dependant, sprawl development. It is a double slap in the face when we consider it is being proposed by a first nation, where the historical claim is often made (with some justification) that a preferable landscape has been changed forever, against their wishes. Now they are proposing a landscape preferable only to Philistines.

#49 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

I find this commercial boom at the moment very strange. Have we seen a massive influx of population in the last 5 years in the region? No. Are people suddenly rich beyond their wildest dreams now over 5 years ago?

Do you think we'll end up with a bunch of big box stores that have no lights on?

#50 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:31 PM

I think the development will be a great addition to the area. Everybody from Royal Oak north will go there to shop. It will reduce traffic from Royal Oak southbound and on the TCH as most of the peninsula will stop going to Langford and Uptown.

Surface parking in dense urban areas make little sense, surface parking in rural settings is not a problem and is much more cost effective. The only Costco that has underground parking, that I am aware of is in Vancouver. I have walked across the Millstream Village parking lot many times from one store to the other and I have never had a problem or seen one.

I agee Keating would have been a better choice both for a couple of reasons but the CS nimby lobby screwed the pooch on that. Now they will get the through traffic and no revenue. Beautiful.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#51 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:06 PM

Yup this was for CS to lose. Now they just need to ditch Costco (I still haven't figured out why people go there) and put in an Ikea.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#52 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:16 PM

This is why people go to Costco:

Buy one of these and it will last you a year.

#53 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

But it isn't any cheaper than going to the Wholesale store or Superstore. So again why?

It has a whole new look!

#54 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:28 PM

Well, why go to those places when you can go to Costco? :D

#55 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

Do you think we'll end up with a bunch of big box stores that have no lights on?

Not only that gas is going to become so expensive that it will be more economical to shop at the corner store.

#56 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:47 PM

Well, why go to those places when you can go to Costco? :D

Because they don't charge me for the privilege of shopping there ;)

It has a whole new look!

#57 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

An Ikea might be nice...too bad about that IDEA Ikea duel here in the 80's. They might never come back...

A large parking lot with a building at the end of it does not create a people friendly environment. If they developed an innovative site plan here they would have less issues finding quality tenants and have more potential for future growth. Make a parking structure and space the buildings to create a sense of place. Put in some trees, some gathering spots, some patio areas, Large spaces and smaller spaces. Design the pedestrian experience there. OR just lest people drive around inside the stores...

#58 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:56 PM

They will be able to add another category to the BC Ferry alert sign.

Costco parking lot 8% full...free beer to next 10 customers.

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:57 AM

I'm all for this development. Everyone is funneled into the westshore for big box shopping and it's about time the peninsula was able to absorb some of the pressure.

For individuals without a vehicle who live in the core shopping here will be much more convenient than taking transit to the west shore then walking for nearly 30 minutes to the nearest bus stop. In fact the transit connection to Costco in Langford is virtually non-existent and completely useless if you're carrying a heavier item.

At the CS location we'll have the use of the 70 and 72 which offer direct and convenient access. The Costco in Langford is 2 kilometers from the 50 bus stop.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#60 ryno8097

ryno8097
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

At the CS location we'll have the use of the 70 and 72 which offer direct and convenient access. The Costco in Langford is 2 kilometers from the 50 bus stop.

The #72 is two kilometres away from this site on East Saanich Road. The #81 is non-existant. The #70 does route via the highway, but you are assuming BC Transit will add a stop to its express route (Don't expect B.C. Transit to add another stop to its ferry express route).

So I do not think bus service will be any better than the Langford Costco area.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users