APPROVED
937 View Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 937 View Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 23
937 View Street is a proposal to build a 23-storey rental tower along the 900-block of View Street in the City... (view full profile)
Learn more about 937 View Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 937 View Street | Rentals | 23-storeys | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#141 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 12:16 PM

I still think the final concept was actually not a bad plan, assuming we're assuming View Towers would eventually be replaced and the issues re: separation, massing, and shadowing could thus be addressed.

#142 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 12:42 PM

Did we ever see this picture before?

There were a lot of things to like about it, especially considering how blah the original concept was. I really like the windows and the terraces on top of each of the levels. I like the ground level and the entrance area, too. What a change it would have been for that block of View Street.

Seriously, Just squeeze this concept to be one unit slimmer all around and I'd gladly chip in some of Mike K.'s salary to make it happen.

Edited by aastra, 17 February 2023 - 12:48 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#143 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 12:45 PM

Although... the separation between this building and View Towers would seem to have been wider than I thought. Still not really the kind of space that any sane person would want to linger within, but decent enough for quickly passing through.

#144 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 12:48 PM

I don't think so. It's a shame it won't be happening.

#145 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 12:51 PM

...Just squeeze this concept to be one unit slimmer all around and I'd gladly chip in some of Mike K.'s salary to make it happen...

Just add a few more floors to make up for the lost units.

#146 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 12:51 PM

I didn't give this project nearly enough credit. It was very refined and pretty darned good, considering the issues re: this particular site.

I guess I'll file this in the warehouse with all of the other documentation re: "Housing crisis? What housing crisis?"

• Matt R. likes this

#147 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 12:53 PM

It even works with the lowrise project for the corner of Vancouver and View. I actually feel better about that project when I see how they would have related to one another. Sigh.

#148 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 12:55 PM

That was my thoughts about the low-rise as well.

#149 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 31 May 2023 - 09:24 AM

This proposal has been revised, and now is in the form of a 23-storey tower with the same density as it had in a 19-storey variant that was turned down by council, namely over setbacks. Now, the proposal includes zero parking, as part of a shift to supporting council's goal of building a car-lite housing stock in the downtown core.

This will be an interesting proposal to watch, politically speaking. And poetically, perhaps, is this project is planned for what is currently a surface parking lot.

Harris Green parking lot envisioned for 23-storey rental tower with zero parking

https://victoria.cit...h-zero-parking/

937-view-C2.jpg

937-View-full-building.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#150 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,862 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 09:29 AM

Interesting.

What would be allowed under current zoning and how many parking stalls would it require?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 May 2023 - 09:30 AM.

#151 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 09:38 AM

You can almost hear the butt-smooching from the developer:

...At the core of this project is a commitment to livability, affordability, and the acknowledgement of council’s forward-looking environmental goals as they relate to the automobile and human-powered transportation... https://victoria.cit...h-zero-parking/

As far as the design goes, I don't mind the podium and at least the rest would block View Towers from certain angles.

• AllseeingEye and DavidSchell like this

#152 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 09:45 AM

I feel like if we build more tall towers around View Towers, it won't stick out as much like the sore thumb it is.
  • Mike K., aastra and DavidSchell like this

#153 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 09:49 AM

As far as the design goes, I don't mind the podium and at least the rest would block View Towers from certain angles.

No kidding; if only they could build a 19 storey "green fence" of sitka spruce and western red cedars all around View Towers "our long national nightmare" of having to look at that thing would finally be over :)

• Nparker likes this

#154 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 09:50 AM

I thought R48, the Harris Green zone, doesn't have a parking minimum? It also has no density maximum, but a height limit of nine storeys or 10 with at-ground commercial.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#155 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 09:52 AM

It makes sense, though, doesn't it? This is what council wants, and the soil conditions at this site make parking a very costly affair. If there is any site downtown on which to pursue this sort of project, this just might be it.

• DavidSchell likes this

Know it all.

#156 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,862 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 09:53 AM

Oh yea it’s got that underground river nearby.

#157 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 10:13 AM

Can't seem to find this new application on the development tracker, will this project also be including the fort Street side of the parking lot?
  • DavidSchell likes this

#158 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 10:19 AM

Never mind found it
https://tender.victo...809111720510000

#159 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 10:25 AM

Oh yea it’s got that underground river nearby.

Maybe the developer should supply boat parking.

#160 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 10:27 AM

It makes sense, though, doesn't it...

I am not arguing the sense of the developer's proposal, just the sycophantic messaging.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users