Vivid at the Yates
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 849 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 20
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 1BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Vivid at the Yates is a 20-storey, 135-unit below market condominium tower situated along the 800-block of Joh... (view full profile)
Learn more about Vivid at the Yates on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Vivid at the Yates | Attainable condos; market commercial | 20-storeys | Built - completed in 2021

• Please log in to reply
649 replies to this topic

#101 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:31 AM

Vivid at the Yates, not Vivid on Yates.

The garden is for visual effect. Nobody living on the level of the gardens in either tower would appreciate having people constantly hanging around just feet from their windows. Public-use or resident-use spaces are only appropriate if they do not negatively impact residents. Lots of buildings have landscaping or green spaces that are not places for people to hang out/loiter.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#102 Marilyn

Marilyn
  • 374 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:33 AM

The City doesn't control the names of buildings, so no permission was required, but the name was never actually changed.

But the city does control addresses. What will be the address of the Vivid?

#103 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:34 AM

The address of the building will be 849 Johnson Street.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#104 Marilyn

Marilyn
  • 374 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:37 AM

Vivid at the Yates, not Vivid on Yates.

The garden is for visual effect. Nobody living on the level of the gardens in either tower would appreciate having people constantly hanging around just feet from their windows. Public-use or resident-use spaces are only appropriate if they do not negatively impact residents. Lots of buildings have landscaping or green spaces that are not places for people to hang out/loiter.

Times have changed. Look at the condo complex at the corner of Vancouver and Yates. It has a walk through and a fountain with benches. Those were the days before 2005 after which street life in Quadra Village became more menacing. We are hoping with all the new residents there will be a renaissance of the neighbourhood. In fact it is already starting to happen.

#105 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:38 AM

Yeah, but that complex has ground level gardens. Yates' gardens are several floors above ground.

Know it all.

#106 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:39 AM

The park-like walk through at those two towers was also a City-required public amenity, was it not?

• Rob Randall likes this

#107 Marilyn

Marilyn
  • 374 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:44 AM

Yeah, but that complex has ground level gardens. Yates' gardens are several floors above ground.

Looks like only one floor above ground level according to the maquette that I saw at Fort St. info centre. There is more ground level gardening going in along the public walkway which will be closed from 10 pm to 7 am. The attendant said the city was adamant on that walkway feature.

#108 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:54 AM

Looks like only one floor above ground level according to the maquette that I saw at Fort St. info centre. There is more ground level gardening going in along the public walkway which will be closed from 10 pm to 7 am. The attendant said the city was adamant on that walkway feature.

The podium is 2 storeys, with a "habitat garden" between the two towers. I believe the units facing this area will have private patios, but not necessarily access to the landscaped area. It is intended to be a bird and bee habitat.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#109 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:59 AM

...It is intended to be a bird and bee habitat.

A space for the birds and the bees you say...that could be interpreted in a few ways.  ;)

• shoeflack and Jackerbie like this

#110 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:04 PM

The podium is 2 storeys, with a "habitat garden" between the two towers. I believe the units facing this area will have private patios, but not necessarily access to the landscaped area. It is intended to be a bird and bee habitat.

Oh, Lord.  

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#111 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:47 PM

It is intended to be a bird and bee habitat.

As long as the birds and bees in question are not owned by residents of the building?

#112 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:23 PM

An apiary?

Have we not learned our lesson? Oh, the humanity!

#113 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:43 PM

An apiary is also envisioned for the roof of the Wade.

Know it all.

#114 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:29 PM

Is there anyone in the know who can provide some insight into the current drilling operations?

Just how much of the site are they drilling and filling, then what does the excavation process look like?
  • 2F2R likes this

#115 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:59 PM

Vivid condo dev's first-time buyer-focused suites gain traction from unexpected source

https://victoria.cit...xpected-source/

Downtown Victoria’s Vivid at the Yates condominium project is resonating with a segment of the market that arguably always knows best, according to developer Dave Chard.

The 20-storey tower’s 135 one and two-bedroom modern suites – priced significantly lower than comparable pre-sale and resale inventory thanks to a unique arrangement with BC Housing – are catered to savvy first-time homebuyers with an eye for downtown living.

But it’s their parents, Chard says, with whom Vivid’s below-market pricing and unique financing arrangement has resonated, turning them into unexpected advocates.

“It makes sense to reason that once you’ve bought and sold several homes throughout your life you develop an eye for real-estate opportunity,” Chard said, speaking to the indirect effect Vivid’s marketing campaign has had on purchasers. [Full article]

Know it all.

#116 tiger11

tiger11
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:24 PM

Been pondering a suite in here for a while. Due to the pre-determined pricing I was hoping to wait until the end of the year to seriously consider it, once we have a better idea of how the market is shaping. What do all you guys think of buying in the Vivid? The lack of parking for 1 beds is a serious negative for me.... How do you think the resale value will look after the two year period?

#117 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:41 PM

I have a friend that has bought here.  He and his family (he's in his very early 20's and received advice from his father in particular) had many questions at first, but felt they were all satisfied.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#118 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:43 PM

Been pondering a suite in here for a while. Due to the pre-determined pricing I was hoping to wait until the end of the year to seriously consider it, once we have a better idea of how the market is shaping. What do all you guys think of buying in the Vivid? The lack of parking for 1 beds is a serious negative for me.... How do you think the resale value will look after the two year period?

Has Chard Development confirmed to you that prices will not be adjusted between now and the end of the year?

I have a friend that has bought here.  He and his family (he's in his very early 20's and received advice from his father in particular) had many questions at first, but felt they were all satisfied.

Aha! As per the article above. Clearly moms and dads are taking note of this, and if their son or daughter has every intention of remaining in Victoria for several years this is an amazing opportunity for them to get into the market.

Know it all.

#119 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:48 PM

Oh, and you shouldn't get caught up in resale values with this project. You're signing on for a two year commitment post completion, so realistically it won't be until early 2023 that you are eligible to sell. That's a heck of a long time away to be worried about what the market will be doing or won't be doing.

As far as resale value is concerned, a downtown, all-concrete modern residence will outsell a worn 1980's-era condo all day every day. The only negative, as you say, is the lack of parking. But a lack of parking is becoming more and more common among all downtown developments so you certainly won't be an odd one out.

Know it all.

#120 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:55 PM

Aha! As per the article above. Clearly moms and dads are taking note of this, and if their son or daughter has every intention of remaining in Victoria for several years this is an amazing opportunity for them to get into the market.

I would agree that the Bank of Mommy and Daddy is writing a lot of downpayment cheques to allow sons and daughters to continue to live here.  I know that's that happened with my neighbors to the tune of several hundred thousand

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users