• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:26 AM

Wow. A young guy announced too.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#42 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:14 PM

Wow. A young guy announced too.

Starting to get crowded now. My bet is the front runners will end up being Karen Harper, Rebecca Mersereau, and Rob Wickison, but with 7 candidates I guess you can't count out anyone 

#43 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:26 PM

Rob Wickson has announced that he's running in this by-election.  He's on CFAX right now with Adam Stirling. 

Hes a big advocate for CARS and of course well known bike lane promoter. Didnt he also come out and say that any private owned car should not be parked on the street, ever. That streets are public property not for car storage......

#44 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:32 PM

Hes a big advocate for CARS and of course well known bike lane promoter. Didnt he also come out and say that any private owned car should not be parked on the street, ever. That streets are public property not for car storage......

"CARS"?

• rjag likes this

#45 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:35 PM

Advocate may be underselling it rjag. More like evangelist.

• rjag likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#46 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:34 PM

"CARS"?

Community Advocates for Reduced Speed.....they have a FB page and are advocating a 30kmh limit as the default speed limit within all Municipal boundaries

• John M. likes this

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:46 PM

Ned Taylor is a real greener.

Endorsements:  https://www.votened.org/endorsements

“I will definitely try and really move us forward on our environmental work and try and lead the fight against climate change,” he said, adding with Derman’s loss “I think an environmentalist filling that seat is exactly what’s needed.”

The lifelong Saanichite says too many residents are being left out of decisions affecting their neighbourhood.

“I’ve heard too many stories of people feeling ignored. Whether it’s Saanich pushing through a project without public discussion, or councillors lacking responsiveness to emails and letters, it’s not OK. I want to create an inclusive city council, where working together as a community is our foundation for moving forward.”

Some of Taylor’s other ideas include creating a searchable database for council voting records on the district website, scheduling some council meetings on weekends to make them more accessible, banning single-use plastic bags and water bottles, a foreign buyers tax on Saanich real estate, and allowing skateboarders and longboarders to use bike lanes.

http://www.saanichne...ift-to-council/

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 10 August 2017 - 01:47 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#48 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:00 PM

Ned Taylor is a real greener.

Endorsements:  https://www.votened.org/endorsements

http://www.saanichne...ift-to-council/

Also has been endorsed by the BC Greens 2017 Victoria-Beacon Hill candidate. Although apparently that guy hasn't lived in Greater Victoria for years, so I don't know what his endorsement is worth. 

I've been browsing the campaign websites this afternoon, and the only ones who seem to have any discernible policy differences that make them jump out from the bunch are Geoghegan, Ned Taylor and Nathalie Chambers. I hope everyone else comes up with more then just "uh, duh...more housing and green transit!"

• lanforod likes this

#49 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:59 PM

Community Advocates for Reduced Speed.....they have a FB page and are advocating a 30kmh limit as the default speed limit within all Municipal boundaries

Funny how Rob didn't mention that in his CFAX spot today

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#50 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:29 PM

yeah, I don't think I'll be voting for Rob. As much as I like bike lanes cause I actually use them...

#51 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:38 AM

Starting to get crowded now. My bet is the front runners will end up being Karen Harper, Rebecca Mersereau, and Rob Wickison, but with 7 candidates I guess you can't count out anyone 

Karen Harper will win. Saanich residents are for the most part happy with the status quo. Not looking for someone to come in and try to stir the pot. 

#52 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:00 AM

^ She has made the best effort so far with signage. With so many candidates and so few voters, name recognition is everything.

• John M. likes this

#53 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,529 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:46 AM

Karen Harper will win. Saanich residents are for the most part happy with the status quo. Not looking for someone to come in and try to stir the pot.

Why should Harper win?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#54 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:53 AM

John M., if you're talking about the recent BC Green candidate in Victoria-Beacon Hill, Kalen Harris, he runs a coffee shop right across from Our Place. That gives him some serious creds.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#55 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:42 PM

Why should Harper win?

I didn't say she SHOULD win, I said that she WILL win. She is the closest to the status quo that we have on the ballot.

#56 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:57 AM

John M., if you're talking about the recent BC Green candidate in Victoria-Beacon Hill, Kalen Harris, he runs a coffee shop right across from Our Place. That gives him some serious creds.

I always got a chuckle that Mr HARRIS of the GREEN party runs a business in Harris Green.

• Hotel Mike likes this

#57 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:00 AM

I always got a chuckle that Mr HARRIS of the GREEN party runs a business in Harris Green.

But is he TOO green?

#58 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:57 AM

Sorry, should have read "Victoria-Swan Lake"

#59 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:01 AM

^ She has made the best effort so far with signage. With so many candidates and so few voters, name recognition is everything.

I had heard from both the Wickson camps and Chambers camps that they have signage ready but will be holding off until a month before the election. Probably stupid, since it is perfectly legal to put it up now and they are just wasting valuable time 

#60 Michael Geoghegan

Michael Geoghegan
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:07 AM

Hi there.  I just wanted to make sure everyone on this thread was aware of my campaign at www.mikeforsaanichcouncil.ca I am running on three keys issues:  More Housing, Lower Taxes and Greater Accountability.  I also support rescinding the EDPA.

My son having to spend $1,200 a month for a basic one bedroom apartment was one of the key motivators in my decision to run in this by election.  Every proposal that comes before council is either delayed, denied or downsized.  Although I have lived most of my life in Saanich I did live for about seven years in Langford where I was a home owner.  During much of that time I served on Langford's Planning and Zoning Committee.  However to solve the current housing crises all municipalities need to get serious about increased density and more efficient decision making.

As my website details, from 2006 to 2016 property taxes in Saanich increased 58% and they went up again in 2017.  Higher density residential and increased commercial industrial will allow us to give current Saanich taxpayers a long overdue break from annual tax increases.

At every turn Saanich has dragged its feet in terms of having greater accountability.  Web casting of council meetings was drawn out for years and then there was the shameful incident where spyware was placed on a newly elected Mayor's computer.  I will bring some sunshine to shady Saanich.

I also have the federal and provincial government connections to ensure we get our share of dollars for transportation infrastructure, co-op and affordable housing and the like.  As evidence I would encourage you to visit my consulting website at www.mgcltd.ca and in particular http://www.mgcltd.ca...llery/index.php

Also I will be back on CFAX Monday mornings after September 23rd.

Michael Geoghegan

• tedward, jonny and lanforod like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users