• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#81 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:38 AM

That will eliminate 91% of the field.

Essentially leaves in Geoghegan, Chambers, and Wickson (Maybe Ned Taylor as well)  

#82 Michael Geoghegan

Michael Geoghegan
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:49 AM

I'm at the point now where I would vote for a candidate who takes strong stances that I might not totally agree with over someone who is trying to appeal to everybody but says nothing 

That will eliminate 91% of the field.

The Housing crises is the number one issue affecting voters.  Meanwhile Saanich with its annual tax increases is making this more and more a community for only very wealthy.  I will get more housing built in Saanich by working with the development community and other levels of government so as to provide more in the way of affordable and co-op housing.

I will vote to repeal the EDPA and I will vote to repeal the mark up that Saanich places on our CRD water bills.  I will also vote to increase funding for our sports and recreation infrastructure.  If you want a lawn sign please contact me at mgeoghegan@shaw.ca and check out my website at www.mikeforsaanichcouncil.ca

#83 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:04 AM

The Housing crises is the number one issue affecting voters.  Meanwhile Saanich with its annual tax increases is making this more and more a community for only very wealthy.  I will get more housing built in Saanich by working with the development community and other levels of government so as to provide more in the way of affordable and co-op housing.

I will vote to repeal the EDPA and I will vote to repeal the mark up that Saanich places on our CRD water bills.  I will also vote to increase funding for our sports and recreation infrastructure.  If you want a lawn sign please contact me at mgeoghegan@shaw.ca and check out my website at www.mikeforsaanichcouncil.ca

Okay - so lower taxes, great.

EDPA repeal probably saves a bit of money.

CRD water markup, and increased funding for sports and rec costs money.

Where else will you find savings to keep the tax increases nil or at least under inflation?

#84 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:22 AM

Lack of affordbale housing is NOT a major concern for Saanich residents. The CRD rental vacancy rate has been at 0.5% for the past 15 years. Just because Helps is trying to make it into a big issue to support her homeless plans doesn't mean that it is actually a concern for voters here. https://www.crd.bc.c...cs.pdf?sfvrsn=2

The EDPA is effectively on hold. The developers who made a big issue of it in order to get their properties rezoned have been successful so nobody is raising a stink at the moment.

Saanich residents are not looking for another Atwell to start with fists flying. Atwell was smart enough to ditch the Saanich Council Whackjobs and there is no desire to repeat the exercise. 

#85 Michael Geoghegan

Michael Geoghegan
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:31 AM

First of all there are a number of councillors that I get along well with already.  Second of all Atwell is backing Karen Harper in this election.  For example he donated his signs to her which is why she has so many.  Also the people that have endorsed me Langford Mayor Stew Young and Colwood Councillor Lilja Chong know the tremendous knowledge and skill that I am bringing to the table.

The EDPA is a bureaucratic boondoggle that I will rescind.  With increased residential density as well as commercial and industrial we will grow revenues.  That allows us to give current taxpayers a much deserved break and allow to repair some of our playing fields which have become treacherous for kids to play on.  My son was a Saanich Wolverine football player.

#86 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:26 AM

Atwell is backing Harper because it was your approach and guidance that got him into so much conflict in the first place. You have basically attacked every Saanich councillor at one point or another. 

The person who is going to win the election will be the one who states that they are going to maintain the status quo and work with others. Stating things like "you will rescind the EDPA" instead of "you will vote the rescind the EDPA" just convinces people that you are not there to be part of the team.

• Rob Randall and John M. like this

#87 Michael Geoghegan

Michael Geoghegan
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:27 PM

Atwell is backing Harper because it was your approach and guidance that got him into so much conflict in the first place. You have basically attacked every Saanich councillor at one point or another. 

The person who is going to win the election will be the one who states that they are going to maintain the status quo and work with others. Stating things like "you will rescind the EDPA" instead of "you will vote the rescind the EDPA" just convinces people that you are not there to be part of the team.

If leaving out the word vote which is a given is the biggest concern you have then you are a lucky person. 

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#88 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:54 AM

Does anybody know if Keith Davidoff has a website or web presence? I know hes on the advisory design panel and is fairly active in the community, but I can't find much more information. 

#89 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:19 AM

Saanich residents will get a second chance to hear from some of the candidates running for the open council seat.

Church of The Nazarene will host at least seven out of the 10 candidates running for a second all-candidates forum on Sept. 14, two days after the first all-candidates’ meeting on Sept. 12 at St. Aiden’s United Church. The event is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. with the debate running from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Quadra Cedar Hill Community Association, Mount Tolmie Community Association, Camosun Community Association, Cadboro Bay Residents Association and Gordon Head Residents Associations are organizing the first forum on Sept. 12, which opens with a meet-and-greet from 6:30 to 7 p.m. The debate will take place between 7 p.m. and 9 p.m.

http://www.vicnews.c...election-forum/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#90 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:07 PM

Ben Isitt is actively is working on the campaign of Nathalie Chambers.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#91 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:18 PM

Ben Isitt is actively is working on the campaign of Nathalie Chambers.

Capture.JPG

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#92 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:15 PM

Find me the candidate that Isitt, Loveday and Helps hate, that will be the one to vote for.

• rjag and Love the rock like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#93 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:19 AM

Find me the candidate that Isitt, Loveday and Helps hate, that will be the one to vote for.

Agreed! Chambers has now dropped to the bottom of my list.

#94 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:37 AM

I think Geoghegan's promise to lower taxes while expanding services raises more red flags than Brezhnev's funeral. 

He promises to vote against any tax increase yet the source for this hypothetical windfall that will save us from tax increases is increased development. Sure, I'm all for sensible densification, but this type of development increases the need for more infrastructure, everything from sewers to schools. 

• spanky123 and John M. like this

#95 Michael Geoghegan

Michael Geoghegan
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:40 AM

I think Geoghegan's promise to lower taxes while expanding services raises more red flags than Brezhnev's funeral. 

He promises to vote against any tax increase yet the source for this hypothetical windfall that will save us from tax increases is increased development. Sure, I'm all for sensible densification, but this type of development increases the need for more infrastructure, everything from sewers to schools. 

Well then Rob you haven't been paying attention to what we achieved in Langford where we were able to hold the line on taxes by increasing the amount of revenue from new higher density residential, commercial and industrial development.  Saanich taxes went up 58% from 2006 to 2016 that is simply not sustainable.

#96 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:25 AM

I think what's happened in Langford over the past ten years is unique in the region and can't be repeated elsewhere. The fact that they've had a massive border-to-border increase in residential and commercial development and they've still only been able to "hold the line" against tax increases tells me that hikes in Saanich are inevitable given the modest anticipated pace of development.

• John M. likes this

#97 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:37 AM

I think what's happened in Langford over the past ten years is unique in the region and can't be repeated elsewhere. The fact that they've had a massive border-to-border increase in residential and commercial development and they've still only been able to "hold the line" against tax increases tells me that hikes in Saanich are inevitable given the modest anticipated pace of development.

But if Saanich grows its commercial and residential tax base, while not encountering policing increase to Victoria levels, won't its budget be pretty healthy, on the income side?

#98 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:56 AM

Chambers is the one with orange and green lawn signs, right? Subtle..... 

Edited by jonny, 11 September 2017 - 10:57 AM.

#99 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:00 AM

But if Saanich grows its commercial and residential tax base, while not encountering policing increase to Victoria levels, won't its budget be pretty healthy, on the income side?

To outpace inflation? Saanich would have to do something radically different to shift those numbers. 

I'm open to the idea that it will be beneficial in the long term, but Geoghegan's pledge to vote against any short term tax increase doesn't add up. Infrastructure is an investment in the future and there are up-front costs associated with it, whether it's increased services or more municipal staff to speed along development applications.

Development is market driven. If you want to spark a development boom, you have to put something on the table to attract development, and those incentives costs money.

#100 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:03 AM

To outpace inflation? Saanich would have to do something radically different to shift those numbers. 

I'm open to the idea that it will be beneficial in the long term, but Geoghegan's pledge to vote against any short term tax increase doesn't add up. Infrastructure is an investment in the future and there are up-front costs associated with it, whether it's increased services or more municipal staff to speed along development applications.

Development is market driven. If you want to spark a development boom, you have to put something on the table to attract development, and those incentives costs money.

How much of the past tax increases were for infrastructure improvements and how much were for wage increases? It seems to me that my taxes in OB have increased at more than twice the rate of inflation for the past decade, yet we have fewer services and crumbling infrastructure but a very well paid workforce

What happened to the concept that you got a job in the public sector knowing you would earn less than private but have that offset by job security and an indexed pension? Seems the tail isnt wagging the dog anymore..it fell off.

Edited by rjag, 11 September 2017 - 11:05 AM.

• jonny likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users