Photo

2017 Saanich municipal by-election

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#161 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:37 PM

She won with less then 25% of the vote! Even in her best precint, Gordon Head, she didn't even pull in 30%! Democracy at its finest.

Because of a large field of fairly qualified candidates. Compared to some local elections I've witnessed where only half the candidates are serious and capable.
  • jonny likes this

#162 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:45 PM

Glad that Harper got in over Chambers. Lets hope she can cut her teeth over the next year and hold the spot. Be good to have a numbers person that isnt part of the NDP kindergarden class.

Surprised Wickson polled so poorly, I thought he would have had a lock on the Gorge Tillicum crowd.

Despite the speed limits thing, if I lived in Saanich, I would have voted for Mersereau or Wickson 

#163 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:19 PM

Not much suspense on municipal election nights.

"Here come the first results, better put on a pot of coffee because oh, uh, it's over..."

Edited by Rob Randall, 23 September 2017 - 10:20 PM.

• jonny likes this

#164 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:10 PM

Surprised Wickson polled so poorly, I thought he would have had a lock on the Gorge Tillicum crowd.

He's done a lot in that neighbourhood.  I guess people really don't want to be told to drive at 40kph. 

• jonny likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#165 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:56 AM

He's done a lot in that neighbourhood. I guess people really don't want to be told to drive at 40kph.

Don't forget he also wanted to ban all on-street parking as public roads are not storage facilities.....Theres a few folks here who agree with him🙄
  • sebberry and jonny like this

#166 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:56 AM

Interesting to read defeated candidate posts and their followers. Mersereau really had a cult-like following Dermans legacy. Guess not many of the mainstream voters that bothered to vote had the same vision, or if they did they split their vote between the organic hemp lover bike rider candidates.

Perhaps for some voters were more concerned about housing, congestion and just making a living, maybe they dont have the luxury of subscribing to the religion of organic bike lanes at all costs.... 

Edited by rjag, 24 September 2017 - 08:39 AM.

• LJ and pennymurphy2000 like this

#167 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:51 AM

Don't forget he also wanted to ban all on-street parking as public roads are not storage facilities.....Theres a few folks here who agree with him

The kid who spelled Saanich incorrectly on his signs got more votes than Wickson.  eek.

• Redd42 likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#168 Lou_76

Lou_76
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:34 PM

I think he has a good chance in 2018. He'll have some name recognition and there's something like 5 seats opening up with many councillors not running again and some pushing for mayor.

The kid who spelled Saanich incorrectly on his signs got more votes than Wickson.  eek.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users