APPROVED
736 Princess Avenue
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 736 Princess Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
736 Princess Avenue is a proposal to build a six-storey, mixed-use complex for the John Howard Society, an org... (view full profile)
Learn more about 736 Princess Avenue on Citified.ca
Photo

[Burnside-Gorge] Hive (formerly Seven-36) | Micro-rentals | 6-storeys | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:35 AM

The wording implies "up to" 17 cars, so only five might materialize once resident demand is assessed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:12 PM

It seems like a bit of a wasted opportunity not to acquire the adjacent lot with the ancient, skinny brick building and create something more substantial here.

736.JPG

736b.JPG

Mind you, I suppose just about anything will be an improvement in this area.

#23 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:36 PM

^ A bigger lot would be easier to work with, but the one next door is oddly shaped, and would leave 748 Princess one the end there with a very bizarre development site in the future. What I'm curious about is the developer's answer in the CALUC meeting that the house at 735 Queens Ave will be demolished...

Capture.PNG

#24 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:46 PM

...What I'm curious about is the developer's answer in the CALUC meeting that the house at 735 Queens Ave will be demolished...

Why would it be necessary to demolish a building on the adjacent the street? Are the lots being combined for this project?

#25 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:01 AM

736 princess.JPG

Here's a rendering from the official plans filed with the city at https://tender.victo...Number=REZ00602

• Baro and Janion Fan like this

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:03 AM

Nice!

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:07 AM

Agreed, it looks nice. It's a shame it's in such a decrepit location. Perhaps it will ignite more redevelopment of this area.

#28 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:13 AM

Agreed, it looks nice. It's a shame it's in such a decrepit location. Perhaps it will ignite more redevelopment of this area.

I think the market can definitely support this development if the rents are priced accordingly... and the blocks between Douglas and Blanshard (west to east) and Hillside to Caledonia (north to south) are seeing new developments and proposals:  Azzuro, Times-Colonist Redevelopment, and (now) 736 Princess.

#29 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:19 AM

Looks like all of the units have kitchens, so that answers one question. The window trim and some other architectural accents will be corten steel. It would be cool to see this material become a common motif in the Rock Bay area as it gradually redevelops.

• Janion Fan likes this

#30 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:54 AM

The social housing aspect that would have seen Cool Aid manage 25 near-shelter suites is now confirmed as no longer part of this development.

A 3,000 square foot communal area will give residents some extra breathing space, too.

Quick round-up: http://victoria.citi...toria-seven-36/

• Nparker and Janion Fan like this
Know it all.

#31 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:19 AM

The social housing aspect that would have seen Cool Aid manage 25 near-shelter suites is now confirmed as no longer part of this development...

It just got a whole lot more appealing.

#32 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:25 AM

I can't tell what that is on the ground floor. it's not a cafe or restaurant is it, just a lounge & kitchen for people who live there?

that's probably the idea, kind of like the escher. this one will be equivalent to ~548 units/acre or ~1353 units/hectare, which is quite a lot. that's about double yello iirc

#33 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:05 AM

I'm thinking that this development will appeal to construction workers (and the like) who will be in Victoria for 6-12 months to work on a job and want a decent place to stay but don't want a long-term rental.  It's in a light industrial area where mobile professionals won't necessarily want to live.

"I know nothing"

#34 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:58 PM

I can't tell what that is on the ground floor. it's not a cafe or restaurant is it, just a lounge & kitchen for people who live there?

It's both... which is going to be a very strange setup. The main entrance to the building is through the cafe.

Capture.PNG

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:54 PM

Yes, exactly! The amenity space will also include an outdoor deck for residents complete with a barbeque.

I think manuel has nailed the intended demographic here.

Know it all.

#36 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:08 PM

that's new to me... I guess there will always be traffic coming & going at the cafe then

#37 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:35 PM

It looks like there is also a controlled entrance off of the courtyard. Most residents would come in here instead of through a cafe. If a breakfast cafe - a great idea to have with a group of hungry construction workers living there.

Hopefully I didn't nail any of the workers...
  • Mike K. likes this
"I know nothing"

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:44 PM

This project is now known as Hive.

Know it all.

#39 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:54 PM

This project is now known as Hive.

That aught to generate some buzz about this project.

• Mike K. and Kapten Kapsell like this

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:11 AM

21369284_1652465758106423_18510760917435

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users