APPROVED
736 Princess Avenue
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 736 Princess Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
736 Princess Avenue is a proposal to build a six-storey, mixed-use complex for the John Howard Society, an org... (view full profile)
Learn more about 736 Princess Avenue on Citified.ca
Photo

[Burnside-Gorge] Hive (formerly Seven-36) | Micro-rentals | 6-storeys | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 ecento500

ecento500
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:14 AM

Correction :

The design firm is The Arcata Collective Ltd. led by L Cecco  (predecessor firm)

#42 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:59 AM

The CoV has received the Development Variance Permit application for this project.

#43 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:13 AM

The RZ file has been updated with revised plans: https://tender.victoria.ca/tempestprod/ourcity/Prospero/FileDownload.aspx?fileId=A2EF1CA4-5FA4-4AE1-98EE-FF07162BD03A&folderId=54195C170726154256160000

The most significant change is the landscaping on the public patio on Princess Ave.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Jackerbie, 27 November 2017 - 10:14 AM.

#44 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:23 AM

^ The guts of the building have changed little, except the basement level. Bicycle storage has gone from 26 to 70, and much of the "personal storage areas" have been removed. There's a long letter to Council from the applicant explaining the revisions and rationale for the design.

#45 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:23 AM

As shortish, semi-industrial area buildings go, this is pretty decent. I'd happily welcome something like as a replacement for the Canadian Linen building on my block of North Park.

#46 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:24 AM

...Bicycle storage has gone from 26 to 70, and much of the "personal storage areas" have been removed...

A bit of a shame to lose the storage areas, that's something that small residences simply cannot have enough of.

#47 Lou_76

Lou_76
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:48 PM

This is much needed. Glad they've moved away from Kool Aid running it. I agree re: storage, I hope the bike storage can be designed to be flexible storage space that could also be used for boxes etc.

#48 kjcolpman

kjcolpman
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:57 AM

Thanks everyone, for your comments about The Hive! My name is Kim (Colpman), and I am the Director of Property Development for Large and Co. I thought I would weigh in and give you an update on our proposal.

The most recent submission for The Hive has seen the proposal move from a partnership with Cool Aid and shelter housing, to a purpose-built Workforce rental which we would build, own and operate. The shift was partially in response to Community feedback and mostly because of the huge need for this type of housing in Victoria. We have all heard how tough it is to find reasonably priced housing. Jobs are therefore not being filled and we are losing skilled workers from our City. For those with a job, a large amount of their paycheque is taken up with housing and vehicle(s) with little left over.

The vision of The Hive is to address this problem, but not just by providing the typical housing, but by offering services and amenities and creating a place where people are proud to live.  By allocating the entire main floor as a place for residents to come together to work, play games, cook for their friends or just hangout, we create a focal point where ‘community’ becomes the norm. This area will have a full kitchen, harvest tables, quiet nooks for reading, TV monitors, gathering spaces and more.  The entire building will be wi-fi enabled and people will have access to 2 outdoor patio areas.  The main floor also has a café – open to the public to create even more energy and life in the building.

In terms of vehicles, this is always a large topic of conversation (!) and requires serious thought. Being downtown, close to transport, and… knowing that owning a car is expensive, we believe it is better to provide access to a vehicle and relieve people from the burden of owning.

So…. our proposal includes the very first ELECTRIC vehicle share program (eVSP) right in the building. There will be a combination of e-cars, e-bikes, e-scooters available to tenants first, and then to general public. This is super convenient and affordable, since you only pay if you need it. You could even make arrangements with your neighbor to share the cost and do a Saturday grocery run together 😊

Imagine a single, more affordable rent payment that lets you live downtown, have a fully contained room of your own (kitchen, full bath, flexible living space, storage); a locker in the basement for bike/personal storage; onsite laundry; access to 3000sqft of amenity space ; access to eVSP (paying only when used) and ..... a fulltime concierge to take care of all your building needs! 

Thanks for reading and following The Hive! We are super excited about this new concept and would really like to know what you think 😊

Best

Kim

#49 kjcolpman

kjcolpman
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:03 PM

Here is a schematic of the main floor...

Hive-main-floor.jpg

#50 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:05 PM

...You could even make arrangements with your neighbor to share the cost and do a Saturday grocery run together...

Lisa Helps is going to love that statement.

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:10 PM

Hi Kim, just to segue for a moment, can you update us on the status of the Quest project (in this thread)?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#52 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:44 PM

Note: I've fixed Kim's post above to include the image.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#53 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:08 PM

I do not want to be negative about his, but does this type of housing work anywhere else, in urban centres?

Who wants to hang out in the building lounge?  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#54 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:19 PM

...Who wants to hang out in the building lounge?  

The same people who like to buy groceries with their neighbours.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#55 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:31 PM

I do not want to be negative about his, but does this type of housing work anywhere else, in urban centres?

Who wants to hang out in the building lounge?  

Would the individuals units each have their own kitchen, or is the building's exclusive kitchen in the common area?

I know that 'common kitchen' rentals definitely have an audience near universities...

#56 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:34 PM

Would the individuals units each have their own kitchen, or is the building's exclusive kitchen in the common area?

According to Kim's post above:

...Imagine a single, more affordable rent payment that lets you live downtown, have a fully contained room of your own (kitchen, full bath, flexible living space, storage);

#57 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:36 PM

Common kitchen would probably be good for short term rentals. If someone is here on a work assignment for a couple of months, or they are transfered here with very little notice. With that in mind, what will the lease length be?

Edit: I mean short term relative to the standard 1 year residential lease, not the zoning definition of short-term.

Edited by Mattjvd, 13 December 2017 - 02:38 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#58 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:50 PM

I know that 'common kitchen' rentals definitely have an audience near universities...

Well, when the dorm room holds 2 people often and has no food equipment except maybe a small fridge.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#59 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:39 PM

Well, when the dorm room holds 2 people often and has no food equipment except maybe a small fridge.

You haven't been to a modern dorm, eh? You should see what UBC has been building for the last decade.

Anyways, I think this concept has merit in Victoria, but the success will hinge on the rental rate. Doesn't the Janion include some microsuites in the 250 sq. ft. range?

#60 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:39 PM

If you look at the plans, the "kitchen" is actually a kitchenette with a fridge, a two-burner stovetop, and what I can only assume is either a sink or a record player. Marginally better than a dorm room. But some of us like to bake our frozen lasagnas in secret, with no pants on. Some of us are also known to get tomato sauce on the ceiling when we cook and only wipe it off once a year. I don't think I could live with a shared kitchen.

• aastra likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users