PROPOSED
Merridale Cidery and Distillery
Use: commercial
Address: Harbour Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 2
Planned for a parcel between the headquarters of Farmer Construction and Dockside Green’s wastewater treatme... (view full profile)
Learn more about Merridale Cidery and Distillery on Citified.ca
Photo

Merridale Cidery & Distillery at Dockside Green

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 06:21 PM

I'm opposed to this project because we all know you that you should build absolutely nothing anywhere near anything.

#22 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:48 PM

I'm opposed to this project because we all know you that you should build absolutely nothing anywhere near anything.

Now why didn't anybody say that before they broke ground on Madrona?

#23 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:14 PM

The reason Rooftop at the Strath is so loud is because it's an outdoor nightclub + volleyball pit. I can't see the rooftop patio at Merridale having anywhere near the same atmosphere as Rooftop. I don't imagine there will be music blasting and people yelling and shouting while cider tasting in the afternoon or early evening.. There's numerous other patio bars in this city that don't have significant noise pollution problems (Canoe, The Livet, etc). 

Edited by Kilo95, 07 April 2018 - 09:15 PM.

#24 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:20 AM

The strath rooftop has higher buildings around it that work to amplify noise and send it in a particular direction. Ms Madoff is not exactly a subject matter expert on the mitigation of sound. Heck we were staying on the 25th floor or thereabouts in Barcelona and the noise from the highway that runs through the city was constant. At street level you couldn’t hear a thing.

#25 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:04 AM

It’s the city! You live in the city because you LIKE action. You live in the country for quiet. Sheesh. It’s a patio. We need more of them in this city.
  • Nparker, rjag and thundergun like this

#26 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:09 AM

You can always run a seagull squawker 24/7, ten seconds of every minute. No bylaw against that, no zoning restrictions.

If you're going to worry about noise, such as the latest uproar over truck backup beepers, then please take a more comprehensive approach, particularly for the increasingly dense areas of the city.

#27 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:51 AM

Common sense tells us the Merridale patio will be much quieter than the Strath for many reasons. But patio noise (and bar noise in general) has been an ongoing hassle for Council for many years. If you think Madoff is off base by even mentioning the need to do standard due diligence on acoustics you need to give your head a shake. 

I'm sure it will close by 11, maybe even 10. As a former Downtown resident I couldn't care what noise occurred before midnight. 

I don't know the situation at Canoe but I know they have signs asking patio users to keep the noise down out of respect to the neighbours.                 

#28 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:11 AM

Common sense tells us the Merridale patio will be much quieter than the Strath for many reasons. But patio noise (and bar noise in general) has been an ongoing hassle for Council for many years. If you think Madoff is off base by even mentioning the need to do standard due diligence on acoustics you need to give your head a shake. 

Its good that she does her due diligence and asks questions, however her reputation precedes her, so that anytime she opens her mouth, most folks tune out. She has been known to occasionally ask some pretty bizarre questions. Apart from the fact that she has a singular focus and self identifies as an expert on urban design, she would really have us stuck in 1932. If the Nimby Party had a spokesperson, she would be their poster child.

2 words....'term limits'

• Nparker likes this

#29 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:21 AM

Apart from the fact that she has a singular focus and self identifies as an expert on urban design

I would have no problem saying she is an expert on urban design. But I will also note that she has sometimes used that knowledge to intimidate City staff and councillors who lack that expertise.

That's why I believe it's not so much about getting rid of Madoff, it's about getting at least one more councillor with a strong design background so Pam doesn't have the first and last word on any topic involving heritage, art and design.

• rjag likes this

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:21 AM

Further to the aside in the gas prices thread, had VV’s appearance on the scene and involvement of its early members not had the effect it did, the media would still be writing articles based purely off of Councillor Madoff’s opinions.

To take us back to 2006, the original buildings at Dockside Green were back then referred to as “towers” by the press. Anyone remember that? And I’m talking about the first phase, not the nine and ten-storey Balance buildings.
  • VicHockeyFan, Nparker and jonny like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#31 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 12:21 PM

We are heading to Public Hearing on August 9th, if you are wanting to support this project, you can fill out a support letter here: https://www.talktoaryze.ca/distillery

Thanks!  :banana:

• jasmineshinga likes this

#32 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 12:53 PM

We are heading to Public Hearing on August 9th, if you are wanting to support this project, you can fill out a support letter here: https://www.talktoaryze.ca/distillery

Thanks!  :banana:

Done!

Where, and what time is the Public Hearing?

#33 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 01:42 PM

Thanks!!

1 Centennial Square @ 7pm

Not sure the exact time as there are some other items on the agenda ahead of us

• Mattjvd likes this

#34 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:34 AM

Did this pass?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#35 docksidedweller

docksidedweller
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 05:49 PM

I'm pretty sure that I saw that this rezoning was pulled from the public hearing agenda last minute?

#36 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 August 2018 - 01:46 PM

I'm pretty sure that I saw that this rezoning was pulled from the public hearing agenda last minute?

That's correct. Not sure why, though.

#37 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 10:49 PM

Unanimously approved at Council tonight!!
  • Baro, Nparker, thundergun and 4 others like this

#38 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 07:55 AM

Unanimously approved at Council tonight!!

Great to hear! I read (it might have been here or on citified actually) that council said this is exactly the type of use they had envisioned for the land and that is was essentially an oversight that the original zoning didn't reflect that.

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 07:56 AM

...one of many oversights lacking in the original zoning and agreement.

Dockside Green was to have been completed by now, lest we forget. Instead it has sat stagnant for a decade (a couple of small buildings notwithstanding).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#40 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 10:19 AM

If Dockside Green were up-zoned to alllow 20 - 30 storey buildings with an FSR of 5-10/1 it would be built out now and that would be a thriving mixed use community. 

• Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users