The Quest
Use: condo
Address: 2326 Oak Bay Avenue
Municipality: Oak Bay
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR)
Sales status: in planning
The Quest is a four-storey condominium proposal for the 2300-block of Oak Bay Avenue in the District of Oak Ba... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Quest on Citified.ca
Photo

[Oak Bay] The Quest | Condos | 4-storeys | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#41 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:18 PM

...I'm supposed to believe there's no way to fit a new development on the property without harming the tree? No alternative configuration that would work? ...

Half as wide so as not to infringe on the oak tree's "personal space"; 2.5 times as tall so that all the parking can be above ground and to make up for narrowing the footprint of the project. Do you think the neigbours will go for a skinny 10-storey building?

#42 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:19 PM

But would any of them be oak trees?

Is there any reason why all 12 couldn't be Garry Oaks?

#43 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:23 PM

Insert link here to past discussions re: why do new developments in Victoria almost never feature new oak trees.

#44 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:24 PM

Do you think the neigbours will go for a skinny 10-storey building?

I don't expect anyone involved to be thoughtful or flexible on any aspect, which is why these situations tend to be so infuriating.

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:26 PM

Why not cut it down and turn it into nice oak wainscotting for the York building halls?
  • Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#46 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:35 PM

Why not cut it down and turn it into nice oak wainscotting for the York building halls?

Or cut it down and burn it to release it's oakey spirit back to the cosmos.

It's. a. Tree.  :whyme:

#47 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:37 PM

Or cut it down and burn it to release it's oakey spirit back to the cosmos.

If I didn't know you two were NIMBYs i'd tell what to do with it.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#48 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:24 AM

Is this one big joke or the neighbours for real? This has to be the stupidest case of NIMBYs I've seen in a while. The building is too big? It doesn't look to be much bigger than a two story home with a steep roof. And of course, no trees were cut down in Oak Bay in the last 150 years to accomodate houses/buildings.  

It's a great looking building in my opinion especially with the wood soffits. So few units that there will barely be anyone coming and going.

• Nparker likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#49 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:34 AM

You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

#50 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:39 AM

The key point here: it's a very old tree. If you cut it down then it'll be a lifetime before you'll have anything that could even begin to approximate a replacement. Making flip decisions about significant trees is no different than making flip decisions about significant buildings. Heck, architectural changes tend to happen much more rapidly. There are plenty of sites in downtown Victoria that have changed buildings two or three times during the life of this very tree. The Empress Hotel has done several major expansions during the life of this very tree.

I know I'm a broken record about this, but the way these issues tend to get framed within two polarized positions is just inane. If you want a new building then you must also want the tree to go. If you want the tree to stay then you must also not want a new building. Give me a break. There are no end of possibilities for redeveloping this property. Oak Bay has "oak" in its frickin' name, for crying out loud. Why not celebrate Victoria's uniqueness for once and build something that pays heed to its context?

• VicHockeyFan, Rob Randall and Kungsberg like this

#51 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:44 AM

My point is the hypocrisy of the "concerned" neighbours whose homes very likely only exist because similar trees were cut down.

#52 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:49 AM

The key point here: it's a very old tree. If you cut it down then it'll be a lifetime before you'll have anything that could even begin to approximate a replacement. Making flip decisions about significant trees is no different than making flip decisions about significant buildings. Heck, architectural changes tend to happen much more rapidly. There are plenty of sites in downtown Victoria that have changed buildings two or three times during the life of this very tree. The Empress Hotel has done several major expansions during the life of this very tree.

I know I'm a broken record about this, but the way these issues tend to get framed within two polarized positions is just inane. If you want a new building then you must also want the tree to go. If you want the tree to stay then you must also not want a new building. Give me a break. There are no end of possibilities for redeveloping this property. Oak Bay has "oak" in its frickin' name, for crying out loud. Why not celebrate Victoria's uniqueness for once and build something that pays heed to its context?

I'm coming around to this.  Excavate until you see the roots.  Then protect them (save the tree) and come back with your plan, that you have announced and have had approved in advance.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#53 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:42 AM

May have been the only tree on the site you have the historical documentation?

It's like interpreting an x-ray from 1954(york house built 1969) but:  

download (3).png

http://www.webturf.c...ght_of_fantasy/

Edited by todd, 05 September 2017 - 10:42 AM.

#54 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:15 AM

The key point here: it's a very old tree. If you cut it down then it'll be a lifetime before you'll have anything that could even begin to approximate a replacement. Making flip decisions about significant trees is no different than making flip decisions about significant buildings. 

The alternative to density and losing a tree is clear cutting to accomodate SFHs outside the core.

• Nparker likes this

#55 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:15 AM

If you want a new building then you must also want the tree to go.

Let's be real, the heart of the issue is people don't want development. The tree is just something to grab on to.

If the developer was to build something without re-zoning requirement there would be no story, yet potentially the roots could get damaged. This is a case of, hmmmm, developer needs re-zoning so we will bring up as many issues as possible; too big, the tree, etc.

Edited by MarkoJ, 05 September 2017 - 11:19 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#56 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:17 AM

todd, on 05 Sept 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

It's like interpreting an x-ray from 1954(york house built 1969)...

Presumably trees were cut down to build the houses that pre-date York House.

Edited by Nparker, 05 September 2017 - 11:20 AM.

#57 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:22 AM

...the heart of the issue is people don't want development. The tree is just something to grab on to.

Exactly. This is my point. Suffice it to say, if the option to deliberately leave sufficient space for this tree (and for the tree that eventually replaces it when this tree dies or gets struck by lightning or otherwise needs to be taken down) is off the table right out of the gate then we probably don't really care all that much about the tree and its presence, etc.

#58 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:28 AM

The alternative to density and losing a tree is clear cutting to accomodate SFHs outside the core.

Come on. A lowrise apartment project in the heart of Oak Bay has meaningful impact on the pace of suburban development in Langford?

Anyway, I'm saying the density on this site could well be the same (or higher) even if you build around the tree. Any way you slice it we're talking about a small apartment building. But the shape of the small apartment building could be much more context-sensitive. In a sane world the development process would encourage and/or require it to be much more context-sensitive.*

*context-sensitive does not = shorter

Edited by aastra, 05 September 2017 - 11:31 AM.

#59 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:33 AM

Exactly. This is my point. Suffice it to say, if the option to deliberately leave sufficient space for this tree (and for the tree that eventually replaces it when this tree dies or gets struck by lightning or otherwise needs to be taken down) is off the table right out of the gate then we probably don't really care all that much about the tree and its presence, etc.

Do you think if the developer came up with an idea of notching out the building to accomodate the tree in exchange for a penthouse level that anyone would support it? The project has to be economically viable otherwise it doesn't get developed.

On my property I cut down gary oaks, arbutus, etc., all legally because I simple designed my house on top of the trees and when inside building envelope and you don't need re-zoning not much anyone can do nor did any of my neighbours complain. Here the developer needs something (a rezoning) and all of a sudden this is the last garry oak standing. Funny part is it even isn't on his or her property.  If the tree means so much the coop should buy the property off the developer and just rent it out.

Notice how their website is called "stop the quest," not "save the tree."

Edited by MarkoJ, 05 September 2017 - 11:36 AM.

• Nparker and lanforod like this

#60 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:35 AM

I suppose the developer can plant 12 nice replacement trees that nobody cares about, and that nobody waters until the trees die, and because these dead trees are not protected like the original they replaced are unceremoniously yanked out and fed into the chipping machine, so that another townhouse can be built on that space. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users